Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Quick update but nothing meaningful.

I had an issue with one of my keys dying a month or so ago. A look through the history file and sure enough they weren't that old. Receipt was for 2 new keys from Porsche at a cost of £380.

I was a bit mifffed to say the least. Anyway someone on here mentioned a company that can often help. Turns out they could, so £49.50 later I had a refurbished key with new front cover.

Basically my key died so I had no remote locking and not even the LED would light up on the key, even after I fitted a new battery. It would however still start the car, hence the transponder was fine so it wouldn't need replacing and reprogramming.
My circuit board was refurbished with new button, LED, battery and a new cover.
It works perfectly again. Good result and definitely worth bearing in mind if your key ever stops working.

Other than that the car has seen very light use on nice days. I will get stuck in soon, I'm just completing some outdoor housey stuff first.

The little Abarth has just clicked over 1000 miles so I'm going to do an oil and filter change as Fiat reckon it's ok to run the oil from delivery right up to the first service at 10k miles!
No way am I doing that, hence a change is due now as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway I have my Condensers, resistors and other parts, so the minute I can get onto the 996 I just need my rads and I can strip the front end.

Cheers.

The Abarth looks great Mark :thumb:

Sounds like a steal on the key programming as well, well sorted.

Cheers Cappers. Yes that key service is a great solution providing the programmed part of the key is still ok. Someone mentioned that company on a thread on here, so cheers to whoever that was.

More off topicness before I get some shut eye. Another car joined the fleet this week.
It's a red, Italian, 2 seater convertible. Nope not a Ferrari, although I wish. :wink:

Alfa Romeo Spider for the grand sum of £300. What could possibly go wrong?
:grin:

I've no tinkering time whatsoever so god knows why I bought it. I'm just a sucker for an old banger. MOT next week will decide its fate. :wink:

Right, now to try and get some sleep in between these thunder storms and torrential rain.
:sleepy:

The Alfa's outside. It'll be interesting to see if the roof is water tight. :fisherman:

Righto, I can finally start getting stuck into the car now I think. A few months later than planned but anyway...

The car is off to my Indy at the start of next month so I have a few weeks to do the bits and bobs I want to get done first.
Pretty mundane stuff for now but the thread is about the running and upkeep of the car (as well as the adventures eventually) so I'll stick it in.

So anyway, before I start finding and sorting new issues/jobs I figure I'd better sort the things that I already know about.

First job was to clear out my bulkhead drains as reported by my Indy last year, after my brake servo issues.
An easy job, just clear the dirt out and pour some water through to check they're clear.
Well worth a check as it can lead to much bigger problems if it goes unnoticed, as it did with me.

No photos. Poor light.

I also ditched the screw in each of the side panels next to the battery cover. You remove these covers to access the bulkhead drains.
The screws always seize in the nut/rubber bung so the bung just spins rather than the screw coming out.

I fitted small caps in their place and use Velcro now instead of the bolts, as Porsche did on the 997.

Next it was onto the passenger door central locking module.
What started out as a one in ten times fault grew more persistent.
Basically the car sometimes wouldn't lock fully the first time I tried and also when unlocking I was getting the double beep from the horn.
My Indy plugged in his laptop last year and pinpointed the fault to the passenger door.

So last week I removed the door card, carefully peeled back the membrane (it's £50 if you rip it) and removed the module to identify it. There are a few different types.

I used these guides for door card and locking unit removal -

https://youtu.be/XgdImoLRv4k

https://youtu.be/yef6FHtDtcU

Once off I could see it was the 9 pin type so I ordered a used tested one for £40.
I also bought a bag of door card fasteners as the old ones were brittle. Plus the new ones have anti rattle foam washers.

I bought the clips from eBay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381434051984

Old motor and the replacement, plus trim clips.

Ready to refit. Door membrane carefully pulled back.

Got it all fitted and it works perfectly with no more beeps when unlocking.

In other news that horrible old Alfa went. Failed it's mot miserably so ebayed it for £500.

My wife's Abarth has had its wheels done gunmetal as the black ones were doing my head in. Dirty looking within 10 miles after a wash. :roll:

Much nicer now.

Anyway apologies for an utterly mundane post. Better projects starting soon hopefully. :wink:

I've currently started getting the same door locking problem
Which has now deteriorated into temperamental window not dropping when opened etc
So will be looking to do similar :thumb:

Easy enough to DIY?

Edit ignore me just seen the video links :thumb:

Evening Lee,

yes all really easy as per the videos. The fiddliest part was detaching the small piece of rod that comes from the inside of the outer door handle and fits into a plastic sleeved knuckle joint on the motor. You can see the little sleeved arm in my pics of the motors. It's the small plastic arm at the front bottom right hand corner of each of those modules I photographed.

When removing you have to feel up to the outer door handle for that piece, slide the plastic sleeve piece down then flip the threaded bar out of the plastic arm.
Nothing hard, just fiddly.

Oh and the only other problem I had was the plastic screw in the door bin turned but wouldn't come out. I drilled the head off to get the door card off then ordered a new screw and female part. It actually just arrived today.

Apart from that it's a doddle. Probably 20-30mins removal and same for refit.
Good luck. :thumb:

How you doin Marky , good thread nice motor :thumb: ... i was chased down the A69 by one of those Abarth's the other day , wasn't you as i clocked the driver as i whizzed by :grin: ... atb

Hi Keith, I hope you're well.

Nope I don't get to drive ours that much. I do the odd takeaway run to Morpeth or Ponteland as nobody delivers to Whalton but that's about it. :wink:

I'm sure I've passed you once or twice when out and about though. Your car still looks ace. I will get out on some runs next year. Two main reasons I haven't this year are 1) Still busy on house. 2) I won't be happy with the car until I get it how I want, hence I've not really been that inclined to use it and coupled with no time, means it's just sat there this year. I haven't purposely not used it but at the same time I haven't made time to use it.

Next year will be better though. Anyway I'll see you around soon. Take it easy. :thumb:

Part of the work next month is a new water pump and low temp thermostat so I figured I'd fit a new auxiliary belt and check the pulleys before the car goes into the garage.

You need to whip your air-intake gubbins out to gain access and a clear view of the pulleys.

It's these three here. The right hand one is the tensioner. Use a 24mm spanner to take the tension off the belt and slip it off.

You can then rock them side to side to feel for play and spin them to check they're silent.

Mine were pretty good, but in the spirit of preventative maintenance I figured I'd sort them anyway.

New pulleys are anything from £60-£80 each whereas the bearings can be had for £19 each.

Bearings are available here -

http://www.bearingbasement.com/prod...ag-double-row-angular-contact-bearing-sealed/

I just thought I'd check eBay before ordering anyway. Sure enough a guy was selling 2 unused ones which I bought for £20 the pair, hence I only needed one more for £19.

Bearings pressed out -

I say pressed out but you can actually just knock them out with a mallet and drift. You're binning them anyway.

Back from powdercoating as bearings and belt arrived -

The centre bores are a precision fit obviously so they need masking then cleaning out before fitting new bearings.

Press new bearings in.

You do want a press for this although I dare say you could do it carefully in a vice.

Ready to go back on.

Back on. Don't forget the Loctite on the bolt threads.

After seeing the "Engine bay thread" the other day I felt shamed into cleaning mine. Very quickly though. I spent an hour on what is a days job really.
Stupidly I forgot the after pic.
I will need to sort the other pulleys in due course, oh and my engine in general as it's pretty grubby.

That's better. Stick all the air filter setup back in to hide stuff.

I have my bumper to engine bay strip back as I had it powder-coated with the pulleys but I'm waiting on a screw and speed clip. I'll refit it next week.

Anyway, mundane tasks but got to get through them.

Well, I'm down at Silverstone today driving the 991.2 GT3. I was here a year or so ago driving the Macan Turbo and Cayman GT4. This should be even better.
Damp but the sun is out so it might dry up.
Beats my usual Monday anyway. 8)

Did you fit the air intake.
I was wondering if you had the original air box and experienced the difference when it was fitted.
Mine had one on when I bought it and I bought an original air box and fitted. Personally I find mine so much better now.

Morning MMT,
K&N was on when car was purchased, but I was given the standard box too. I actually have another std box I was given too.

I haven't tried the standard one but I did try std vs K&N when I had my GT3 and to me the scream at the top end with the K&N on far outweighed any drawbacks.

Some people say they suck hot air but it's partitioned/sealed off and uses the original snorkel intake so it can't be too bad.

Again some say you actually lose 2 or 3 bhp but I've not noticed and the sound adds way more to the experience than a few bhp would.

I appreciate its all subjective though, just like whether you prefer red or blue. I may well have a bit of experimenting between standard when I get through everything else though, as there seems to be as many people who don't prefer aftermarket filters, as do. :thumb:

Mark,
Im really enjoying this thread. I like all the detail of powder coating bits and bobs which most people wouldn't do - Im the same and think these are the bits that make the difference between a nice car and an enthusiasts car.

Great work - keep it up! Its going to be a lovely motor when you are finished. :thumb:

Nice work

Are all 3 bearings on the pulleys the same size? 15mm x35mm x35.9mm??

Cheers Guy

how was the 991.2 gt3 then? 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back