Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hefty repair bill

Zorro

Fortunately not for me as I have a Porsche warranty despite the car being seven years old. The 3.0D engine developed an oil leak, so OPC took it in for a warranty repair. Apparently the engine has to come out, so the factory require a few other potential warranty claim oil seals replaced at the same time. All put back together and lo and behold one of the new seals leaks and the engine has to come out for a second time. It's all fixed now and I had the pleasure of a courtesy V8 diesel Cayenne during the two week repair period. I don't know whether they were trying to enhance my smugness, but the service department reckon the final bill is likely to be in the region of £8-9,000.

If its the leak im thinking of then its a major strip down of the engine , not a job you would want to have to pay for thats for sure !

Well worth haveing a warrenty sometimes :thumb:

Hi I am currently having the same job done under warranty

Do you know if any of the fluids/oils will be replaced as part of the repair?

Also how did you know that the car was leaking oil again? I never knew mine was leaking until a local garage mentioned it when it went in for a tyre change

Lost fluids will be replaced but the engine oil and antifreeze will be drained and reused .

Basically they will top up any fluids lost .

Theres a rather large undertray which catches any oil so its not often you see a leak on the garage floor .. also these leaks dont tend to be large so unless its on a ramp you may well not know it is leaking .

If you dont have warrenty then theres a much cheaper fix for the bolt leak but for warrenty then its a total strip down of the engine ..

And i mean TOTAL !

shame they reuse the oil i would pay for the cost of new oil and filter

they probably might have finished my job as tomorrow it will be 2 weeks since they have had my car

You could ask them for an oil and filter change but it will probably cost the same as if it was a stand alone job .

It would also throw it out of sync with the minor service so you would end up haveing seperate oil service and minor service .

On the plus side the Pas oil will be replaced and the anti will be back to 50% .

Plus the leak will have been fixed and you wont have a £8k ish bill :D

When warrenty works .. then it really works !

so, does anyone know if this oil leak that requires engine removal, is a 'common' problem on the diesel cayenne's? and does it only affect the 6 cylinder engine or the v8 ones also?
Demort how 'easy' is the fix you mention?
thanks

There was a batch of engines where the sealent between 2 surfaces didnt go all the way around the bolt holes .. the bolts are very long and threaded all the way so the end result is oil can come into contact with the threaded part of the bolt and run down the threads .

Its a slow leak .. its not a major problem and there was only a certain number of engines affected , these would have been all the same engine as it was a machine in the factory that was " out of Tolerances " and once identified would have been corrected .

Unfortunatly these things happen but obviously if you have to pay for it then its not really fair .

The correct " Warrenty " fix is remove and strip the engine , then reaply sealent to the affected areas in the correct place .

At the end of the day though all it needs is for the bolt to be sealed so that oil cant run down its threads .

You can just about remove the bolt or at least undo it far enough to clean and apply .. i call it silicone but its a silicone compound to seal against oil and you put this on the threads and wind back in place .

As long as its been cleaned of old oil then it will seal the threads and its job done .

1-2hours and im being generous there .. but we have to make a proffit somehow and we certainly dont make one with me giving you lot the answers :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back