Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic transmission explained in simple terms.

kas750

:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 21271228_10154648948996879_7359770986780006769_n_532.jpg
    21271228_10154648948996879_7359770986780006769_n_532.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 5,215
Saw this on FB the other week. Amazes me how anyonw who's owned a like for like car can justify an (old school) auto.

Love it Kas750 :thumb:

alex yates said:
Saw this on FB the other week. Amazes me how anyonw who's owned a like for like car can justify an (old school) auto.

Even a modern-ish Auto Alex, my 2010 Merc makes me howl if you mash the loud pedal in Sports+ mode on an A road or Motorway .............then you hit the B roads and it`s all over the place with shifts, even in manual mode...........which can also be quite entertaining :grin:

Poor economy, poor performance, poor control & poor fun like for like. All in all poor driving experience.

I love threads like this. :thumbs:

It really helps in making Tiptronics the bargain buys they are.

Keep banging that drum Ade/Alex. :thumb:

....... have to say I am looking forward at some stage to owning Cayman or Boxster with a PDK paddle shift gear box ....... :)

madalaa said:
....... have to say I am looking forward at some stage to owning Cayman or Boxster with a PDK paddle shift gear box ....... :)

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!

The biggest problem I have found in driving fast on unfamiliar roads is when you find you are going too quickly half way round the corner and taking your foot off the throttle upsets the whole balance of the car - often making things worse.

I adopted Left foot braking many decades ago (when I owned a 4 speed 911 Sportomatic) and found that if you keep the throttle open where it was and fed in a modest amount of left foot braking - the car (renowned at that time for spinning off in such circumstances) just pulled nicely back into line in much the same way many of the control systems do automatically now.

So I thought I would have liked a Tiptronic more but the throttle cuts out when you left foot brake (unless you double press it quickly in sinc) and that almost defeats the objective.

So although I find a tiptronic easier for such an old git as me - I have to agree that it is less inspiring when getting a move on.

However - driving my PDK Gen 2 to Oulton Park last weekend I found myself running late on that road from the M56 to the track. Long curves on the single carriageway road were tempting to use but frustratingly never quite seemed to reveal a long enough gap to overtake lorries, farm vehicles and slow drivers safely - but the PDK even in auto mode - was sensationally quick when the throttle was fully opened up and reminded me of driving a motorcycle - really exciting and overtaking in a fraction of the time I could have comfortably managed it in a manual or Tirtronic.

Apart from having the steering wheel switches the wrong way around (now I believe altered for the better) the PDK was superb.

When are you coming over to try it and our other oversized engines?

Baz

p.s. Beware trying left foot braking for the first time - make sure no one is behind you - your brain (well mine at least) couldn't handle it to start with and resulted in an emergency brake and my nose pressed against the windscreen - but once you can handle it it makes fast driving really easy and relaxed in a tiptronic and especially a PDK.

bazhart said:
When are you coming over to try it and our other oversized engines?

Baz

Still on holiday in St Tropez at the moment but hopefully some time soon. I'll try and sort something out once I'm back :drive: :thumb:

Unbelievably crass thread. You don't dig tiptronics? Okay, do you have to be such stuck up snobs with it?

I have a 964 targa tip. I also play a very physically demanding sport in a league. After a tiring match it's good to switch off, have coffee and not have to faff with gears in traffic.

What's your sport? Denigrating Porsches that don't meet with your approval?

What's next - anything sub-£50k to be laughed at?

Sad people with nowt better to do than "mine's better than yours".

Utterly pathetic.

Meoooow :fight:

Folk rib cabs, so what? It"s only a bit of banter :thumb:

windflowers said:
Unbelievably crass thread. You don't dig tiptronics? Okay, do you have to be such stuck up snobs with it?

Utterly pathetic.

FYI: The majority of posters on this thread are tip owners (including the OP).

windflowers said:

I have a 964 targa tip. I also play a very physically demanding sport in a league. After a tiring match it's good to switch off, have coffee and not have to faff with gears in traffic.

What's your sport? Denigrating Porsches that don't meet with your approval?

What's next - anything sub-£50k to be laughed at?

Utterly pathetic.

It's just banter dude! I have a 996 turbo tip and find the image very amusing!! Each to there own. I came from a manual 996 c2 and loved it. To be honest with my turbo now I really do need both hands on the steering wheel at all times so the tip is perfect for me. Just need it to stop eating itself! As I say each to there own. My turbo is a rubbish track and is built very much for top speed events and A to B driving with the kids in the back. And it's perfect for the job. If I want 'raw' I take the atom out.

alex yates said:
windflowers said:

Utterly pathetic.

FYI: The majority of posters on this thread are tip owners (including the OP).
Indeed.Self deprecation is all I have these days though. :lol:
Loved my Boxster.

Attachments

• img_2013_197.jpg
    img_2013_197.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4,744
  • img_2012_340.jpg
    img_2012_340.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 4,744

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads