Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Space saver?

Hizza

My wife has just returned from a wasted 48 hours following a blow out on her Mazda 6. No tires in stock, wrong type of pick up truck etc etc. Obviously the 997 has a goo-pack and inflator and I also always carry a foot pump and screw-in plug kit but I've been thinking about carrying a space saver for longer journeys in Europe and also keeping a spare wheel and tyre at home. My first question is - is there a space saver made (and part number) and second, if I bought a spare to keep at home I assume I should buy a front wheel - which would fit front and back for an emergency trip to a garage or tyre fitters. Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks

The 996 had a space saver and is presumably the same hub offset. As far as a spare for home, I'd just get a mobile fitter to come out to me if I found a puncture on the driveway.

A full set of winters or track wheels makes more sense.

Well the advantage of having a spare front and rear wheel and tyre at home is that you can take time and buy the tyres at a good price instead of just having to pay what the want in an emergency situation this could easily save you £200/£300 on a set of 4 tyres. But I just keep my fingers crossed the goo and pump will sort me out and if not then the breakdown service will get me home. :thumb:

going down to Le Mans in 2016 in the other car I ran over a lorry strap, the tyre warning came on in 8km. A split was in the sidewall. called out green flag french cousins (told it was lunchtime) 2 hours later he arrived. Called around it would take 3 to 4 days to get a Michelin tyre. decided to fill it up with gunk and drive back to the UK. 4 cans later I got a return train for 120 quid. I had the tyre fixed in 1 hour from the train. went back the next day...

the low loader that the french had wasn't low enough even thou it was a for low cars...

the gunk meant that the tyre stayed up for 50 miles, now carry 2 of them!

the tyres had done 150 miles from new and green flag insisted they changed a pair...

cheaper to get the train and change one

the 996 c4 collapseable spare would probably be a decent shout for long journeys
had to use it once and was glad i had it as everywhere local to where i was had absolutely nothing in stock the right size!

only problem is if packed to the limit ie children in the back etc there is no place to put the origional wheel which i found out the hard way and someone is making the rest of the jouney with a wheel on their lap :roll:

Thanks everyone, so a 996 C4 collapsible space saver seems to be the way to go? There are a few on eBay so I'll watch the prices and make some bids. Hopefully I'll never need it. It's a shame manufacturers don't offer space savers as an option - I think most people would rather have one than a tube of gunk!

Thanks again!

Didn't realise the 996 had a space saver, think it would be a wise investment, especially for long/European journeys, I have a spare set of wheels which is great if I had a problem near to home and would hope do never have to use the gloop! But it would be great to have the option of a space saver when on longer journeys!

I guess the space saver fits in the frunk ok?

Only £65 on ebay!!

I had a blow out in remote north Scotland last year, split the side wall on front passenger side! The split was to large for the gunk to hold so had to get recovered. I had to borrow a car (10 year old corsa!) from the recovery garage, drive 60 miles to inverness to kwikfit (the only garage with anything close to the right size). The nice recovery guy opened up on a Sunday to fit the tyre for me so I could be on my way. A spare would have been very handy as we lost an entire day, it cost me about £300 and I now have an odd Dunlop tyre in my garage with only a few hundred miles use that I will neve use again.

996lee, you make a very good point about what to do with the punctured wheel if you had a spare. Two of us were on tour for a week so the car was full. If I get a spare I better get a roof rack as well.

I do have a full spare set of wheels with winter tyres on but there not a lot of use when there 300 miles away.

As a contrast I was on a road trip with some mates last month in my supercharged VXR8 and bent one of the rear wheels in Bosnia that obviously resulted in a puncture. Spent 30 mins fitting the spare then carried on as normal, completing the 1200 mile journey home.

A spare is definitely the way to go but I just don't think it's practical in a 997. I just make sure I have good breakdown cover!

Had a similar experience, although it was a friend, who was with our group on tour in the South of France, when one of his rears punctured beyond repair on a 997.
After several of us spent most of the morning on the phone while others visited several listed tyre replacement shops, we discovered there wasn't a single replacement tyre in the whole of France.
The best we got was an offer of one in 48 hours to be shipped from Germany.

DucatiRob said:
Only £65 on ebay!!

Don't forget you'll need a air compressor too
I'm sure the Porsche one could be picked up equally as cheap on the likes of eBay

The blowout i had there was no chance tyre weld was going to cut it lol

No idea how big the frunks are on your 997s but happy to take a pic of the 996 c4 frunk /spare and do a few measurements if needed?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back