Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Parking sensor fault

Scubadiver

One last thread (for now!) while I try and sort out the niggles on my new purchase :lol:

2003 Cayenne Turbo. The parking sensors (front and rear) seem to have a bit of a mind of their own. Sometimes they work normally, at others they display the red lights and beep as if I'm about to hit something, even when there's nothing around (like having just slowed down to turn a corner for instance)

Are there any common issues where I could start?

Yup a few places ..

If they go red then its normally because a fault has been registered .

Check the sensors .. are any pushed back at all.

Are any very dirty or anything obstructing them .. tow bar for example .

The main wireing plug is suspect on these .. its in an area that gets an awfull lot of dirt and water on it .. the rear is from memory n/s/r in the corner of the bumper and can be reached from underneath .. cant rember the front but its going to be similar i would have thought .

Have a good look at these connections for corrosion to the pins.

Other that that then you need a tester on it to see whats failing .. normally a single sensor and there will be a code for which one , ie FRI front right inner , FRO front right outer etc .

Another common fault on these im afraid .

Thanks buddy, I did check and clean all the sensors, because it's intermittent I like the sound of the main wiring plug and potentially rusty pins, I'll check that out tomorrow. Spot on.

Now tell me, when you park up and walk away from your car and hear a psst then look round hear another psst and see the rear suspension raise itself up, that's normal right? :lol:

yes and no .. i dont tend to park these cars very often :D

They do settle as the car lvls its self .

ANY fault on air suspension will log a code pretty dam quick .. its more of a problem if its lower at one corner when you come out in the morning .

The lvl compressors are prone to failure , they over heat and will give a fault code of 1772 pressure sensor .. its not that its the compressor thats at fault .

I replaced one last week :)

Webasto make them .

9 pm .. time to go .. till tomorrow at 7pm then :D

Ah, missed our appointment :lol:

Seems normal that air suspension adjusting, took me by surprise the first time I noticed as I'm not used to cars having a mind of their own after you've parked up and walked away, but it appears to just want to settle itself.

I popped my head under and can see the connector you're talking about for the parking sensors but haven't taken it apart yet due to other pressing matters. Good call though as it seems pretty much OK now the weather has been dry for a while so I reckon you're spot on again ;)

I'll get to it after I get back from holiday, at least nothing can go wrong in the meantime!

Lol .. ill save my list of things that can go wrong till after your holiday .. i dont want to put you off a good time :D

Dont worry though its not all bad but things that are worth checking in the future :)

Thanks mate, definitely a list I want a look at. Always good to know the commonly occurring problems (especially at the side of the road!)

And I wouldn't want to run out of bits to fiddle with :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back