Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Seat backs vinyl wrap

There is a couple of Brushed Aluminium vinyls which would tie into the Aluminium on the steering wheel, and being grained, it won't show damage that quickly. It is a thicker vinyl, so you have to speak to the wrapping guys, but it'd probably work.

Can hydro dipping do such big parts? I'm not one for 'look-a-like' efforts, but carbon seat backs with plenty of layers of lacquer to protect it might be on the cards!

https://goo.gl/images/SCfztD

v8fettler said:
There is a couple of Brushed Aluminium vinyls which would tie into the Aluminium on the steering wheel, and being grained, it won't show damage that quickly. It is a thicker vinyl, so you have to speak to the wrapping guys, but it'd probably work.

Can hydro dipping do such big parts? I'm not one for 'look-a-like' efforts, but carbon seat backs with plenty of layers of lacquer to protect it might be on the cards!

https://goo.gl/images/SCfztD

I know Wicked Coatings can dip seat backs , the art is keeping the lines straight to give the correct effect , I am also thinking about the new clear self healing wrap that guys put on the fronts of the cars this would protect whatever you did to the seat backs and presumably would heal the odd scuff etc keeping them looking good. but I would need to see if it could be applied to the seatbacks ok. if so it would even protect the stock hardback seat from scuffs. :?:

I'm Definitely doing mine in carrera white or as close a match as possible.
My seats don't have the head rest emblem so I may actually get the interior re-trimmed.
Not sure yet - finding time!

So, had a long discussion with the guy who will wrap my seats tomorrow!
Talked in length about life of the vinyl, possible damage, adhesion & if it can be done properly is it will look OM.
He recommended that I go for the metallic black rather than the piano black as it ties in with the exterior.
He will use a high quality vinyl that he uses on boats & yacht exteriors.
Here are some pics of the two colours, I'm leaning towards the metallic black :D

Attachments

• img_0518_100.jpg
    img_0518_100.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 5,942
  • img_0519_120.jpg
    img_0519_120.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 5,942
  • img_0520_539.jpg
    img_0520_539.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 5,942
  • img_0521_778.jpg
    img_0521_778.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5,942
  • img_0523_168.jpg
    img_0523_168.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 5,942
Keen to see how this turns out! And if decent where he's based

Easto said:
Keen to see how this turns out! And if decent where he's based

+1

I assume you car is Basalt?

I think you right to go metallic black it does IMO look more OE . keen to see the finished job.

Right guys here is the update.
First off it is not an easy job, I can see why many shops don't want to tackle this, secondly, I had thought that the vinyl would cover up some of the scratches and bumps to some extent, however, it does not! They can still be seen through the vinyl.
From a distance you can't see any imperfections, but once you get up close and personal then you can see the previous scratches, which is no big deal as they are mostly on the lower portion of the seat backs.
It's an improvement for sure and if your seats are perfect then it's possibly worth doing.
He only managed to finish one seat and he will finish the other tomorrow.
Here are some pics I will get some better ones tomorrow when I pick the car up!

Attachments

• img_0530_184.jpg
    img_0530_184.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3,686
  • img_0531_170.jpg
    img_0531_170.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3,686
  • img_0532_142.jpg
    img_0532_142.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3,686
That's a great note Nick about the imperfections showing through . So for me it would have to be a livery look to hide them either gulf or martini or get them. painted . :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
That's a great note Nick about the imperfections showing through . So for me it would have to be a livery look to hide them either gulf or martini or get them. painted . :thumb:
Yeah Phil, I think if there are multiple layers then they might not be so visible. I wanted to give it a try and see how it came out, in the worse case some time in the future I'll pull the seat backs out & get them hydro dipped, for now though it improves the look :D

nikos525 said:
Phil 997 said:
Yeah Phil, I think if there are multiple layers then they might not be so visible. I wanted to give it a try and see how it came out, in the worse case some time in the future I'll pull the seat backs out & get them hydro dipped, for now though it improves the look :D

They look decent enough to me.
My backs are in very good condition.

One thing I did wonder about vinyl and hydro dip - do you need to cut the vinyl on the airbag part - I assume the airbag would pinch through the wrap if they did it in one section..

Where is this place?

Easto said:
nikos525 said:
Phil 997 said:

They look decent enough to me.
My backs are in very good condition.

One thing I did wonder about vinyl and hydro dip - do you need to cut the vinyl on the airbag part - I assume the airbag would pinch through the wrap if they did it in one section..

Where is this place?
Easto, as far as the wrap is concerned he cut the vinyl so the airbag could deploy, if needed, as far as hydro-dipping I would assume that they would do the same.
I didn't have this done in the UK I posted this for other members to see the results of getting your seat backs wrapped. I only paid 80 Euro for both seats, that's why I didn't really care if they didn't come out 100%, but surprisingly they came out better than expected!
I'll get some more pics up when I get some time.

Ok - thanks for info...
That's a decent price.
I can't fault you for trying it - at that I would have them done in white just to protect them from the kids shoes and remove when / if selling

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back