Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Octane Magazine next month

Marky911 said:
C4 shell is the stiffest, not C2, hence the GT3 using a C4 derived body shell with additional stiffening.
I think the C2 appeals to drivers who want a 911 that's most in keeping with the original blueprint. Rear drive, Coupe, no nanny aids or electric gizmos.

C2 Coupe is lighter, has less to go wrong (whether that be roof mechs or front diffs), it turns in the best and gives the most feedback.

Most people would be happy with a different variation but I personally like the purest one, as I've only ever owned rear drive 911s and came to my C2 from a GT3.

As long as you enjoy the car you've bought then that's the car for you. The market will always value a C2 manual Coupe over all else though. Its just the way it is.

Interesting. I find the stats on torsional rigidity quite interesting when and where one comes across them. Do you have the numbers for the various 996 models? From memory the 996.1 was 45% stiffer than a 993 (not sure which model though) and the 996.2 was an extra 20% stiffer or thereabouts which was quite a step forward.

OK. . So I finally had a chance to read it in full. I thought it was a pretty good, balanced and informative article.. apart from the blatant RPM plug's here and there and how they believe a IMS change is your only hope to prevent the end of the world
:dont know:
I was also surprised a C2 is lighter than a GT3 :?: I did not know that..

Maybe for the reasons stated above if it does use the C4 chassis.

Im searching for something right now and TBH I don't overly care as long as its manual and coupe form in decent condition. They all have there pluses. On my recent events PSM is also a nice to have.

Niall996 said:
Interesting. I find the stats on torsional rigidity quite interesting when and where one comes across them. Do you have the numbers for the various 996 models? From memory the 996.1 was 45% stiffer than a 993 (not sure which model though) and the 996.2 was an extra 20% stiffer or thereabouts which was quite a step forward.

I don't have figures unfortunately Niall. I'm not sure if they're out there.
I just know from the GT3 lads when researching and buying mine that it used the C4 shell for stiffness and also had additional stiffening around the suspension pick up points, which is why, exactly as Coullstar says, it's heavier than a C2, plus maybe a bit from other components. Then the Clubsport has its full cage etc too (but lighter seats).

All 996s are good stuff shells. My mates C2 on KWV3s tips onto 3 wheels when reversing off his drive, just like my GT3 did. If that isn't a full on scientific stiffness experiment, I don't know what is. :grin:

911 article aside (which I enjoyed), thanks for the heads up on the mag, which I've not come across before. A good read. It even mentions the DC quick start Merlin motor, which gave me hours of entertainment as a teenager, as well as the odd sore to get :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back