Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Running rough after long trip/torrential rain

NLW73

coming back from the fatherland Monday pm I got caught in the worst rain I have ever seen on the M20 and M25.

got the car home fine but parked up and started last night.

running lumpy and almost sounds like a plug or coil pack has gone

maybe some water in the plugs?

thoughts welcome.

I would wager its a cracked coil pack or two which has had some water ingress.

In fact I'd put £20 on it given the story. Any flashing lights or other info?

How old are the coil packs? When I first got my turbo a few years ago it was still on its original packs which were 10+ years old!

no flashing lights.

coil packs are 3 years old now I hope they are not cracked as should last longer than that. is that the case or they just fail when they fail?

I have some spare ones. pain in the ass to change though!

It will just be one coil pack. If you start it for 15 secs from cold & then feel each of the headers, the cold one will be the one to change.

I change mine every 3 years proactively now as they do just fail, usually miles from home!

ok thanks nick

any special tools needed to get the spark plugs out if needed?

I jet washed my boxster this afternoon and that's miss firing now and has thrown a CEL :roll:

NLW73 said:
ok thanks nick

any special tools needed to get the spark plugs out if needed?

Nothing special for the plugs (although I would leave them alone if they don't need changing; it's a 4 year / 48K job). Coil packs are held in by 2 hex bolts each behind the heat sheild but getting access can be a bit of a chore depending on what exhaust system you have. My M+M system allows easy access so I can change all 6 in under 30 mins on my drive.

so changed the plugs and coil packs and no luck

it wont even run now. loads of spark and electrics working but not firing.

fuel pump not buzzing so suspect its fuel pump? has been noisy of late.

any thoughts?

Well you need fuel and spark to make it run so its a good shout.

The pump gets noisy before it fails. They can whine on for ages but really, when you hear it going its time to think about replacements.

You've got a couple of options because you have a 2wd fuel tank. Cars like the C4/C4S/Turbo have a tank which is a funny shape due to the prop shaft and this needs a different set of collecting pipes.

You can pick the pumps up on eBay used relatively cheaply and its dead easy to change if its just another OE pump you're putting in. It'll take you 10 minutes if that - simply unbolt the plate, unplug the hoses, unscrew the fuel tank lid and pull it out.

However if you wanted to use another pump such as a walbro, its a little bit more involved but still an easy DIY. I did a 'how to' on it ages ago if you have a search.

:thumb:

thanks RP

any pics or videos of how to do this and where to start? do I have to go in via the front bonnet and take the plastics out?

yes planning to replace with an OE fuel pump as the car is standard bar a few RS bits externally.

any part numbers to reference?

NW

Have a quick look through this for starters

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=93353&highlight=fuel+pump+diy

Yes you need to remove the plastics under the bonnet, then there's 4 x 10-13mm nuts which hold a metal plate over the tank.

Part number for a 996 GT3 fuel pump is either

996 620 103 90

or

996 620 057 92

:thumb:

thanks RP.

update...I am a ham fisted dufuss when it comes to car DIY. it was low on fuel showing 20 miles so I put in 10 litres (thought enough was in there) and it eventually picked up and running fine.

ta for all your comments and be sure to avoid 'my garage services and advice' in the future!! ;-)

will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. so it was coil packs in the end. put some new plugs in there while they were out as its easy to do once in there. those packs at the end of the block near the rear bumper are a right pain!

NLW73 said:
thanks RP.

update...I am a ham fisted dufuss when it comes to car DIY. it was low on fuel showing 20 miles so I put in 10 litres (thought enough was in there) and it eventually picked up and running fine.

ta for all your comments and be sure to avoid 'my garage services and advice' in the future!! ;-)

will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. so it was coil packs in the end. put some new plugs in there while they were out as its easy to do once in there. those packs at the end of the block near the rear bumper are a right pain!

:floor:

We've all done it dude! :floor:

I defo think a coil pack had gone as one of the rear manifolds was cold still after been running for a minute. so worth doing anyway as the plugs and coilpacks were 3 years old

car is running much better now and picks up better with better tickover. am going to keep a set at home or with me on a long journey in future!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back