Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering an 08/09 Cayenne Turbo could use some advice.

umirza85

I'm currently looking to purchase an 08/09 Turbo S or perhaps the GTS of around the same year?

The first thing is I will be getting the Porsche warranty on it, so an 08/09 is under the 13year old limit for a 2 year warranty. Im wondering if anyone knows if that warranty will cover pretty much anything that breaks? (minus consumables of course)

I guess I've never really looked into the Cayenne before and am wondering if someone can help me understand what I should be looking for? Mostly worried about the reliability of the engine/transmission/major parts.

Is there anything glaring that can go wrong with this car/engine? Looking for something to hold onto it for a few years. How is the reliability of the GTS compared to the Turbo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ill start with the warrenty ..

It wont be cheap , N rated tyres , no non standard items fitted , Porsche battery .. last service must be from an OPC or you will need to pay for them to do this etc etc ..

What will be covered .. hmm .. im a little pesermistic here .. i think most things would fall under wear and tear , they did on the 10 year warrenty anyways .

So pretty much major components but i think it best if you discussed this with an OPC .

Theres no common points that fail on these but the milage is a big factor .. things like turbos can be around the 100k mark .. engine out job .

Early cars suffer from brittle pipes , this being coolant and the engine breather system.

Early car being 03 - 06

Electrics .. again early cars are haveing some horrible problems these days so a good check that everything electrical works is a major thing to check.

Water leaks .. check the rear washer works , it comes disconnected in the A post and the water gets onto control units .. thats bad !

Pull out the panel under the pasenger seat and see if the carpet is damp there .. that can be bad .

No easy check on the drivers side and these have thick foam under the carpet so its not obvious from feeling the top of the carpet .

Main components are failry reliable .. Tip needs an oil and filter as soon as you get it though ..

Engines do fail again more on the early cars .. bank 2 normally , a scope of the car would be highly recomended pre purchase .

Over all they are a pretty good car untill you put your foot down though .. rather juicy at that point !

Thats my 2 pennys worth .

Attachments

• carpet_191.jpg
    carpet_191.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 4,541
Demort said:
Ill start with the warrenty ..

It wont be cheap , N rated tyres , no non standard items fitted , Porsche battery .. last service must be from an OPC or you will need to pay for them to do this etc etc ..

What will be covered .. hmm .. im a little pesermistic here .. i think most things would fall under wear and tear , they did on the 10 year warrenty anyways .

So pretty much major components but i think it best if you discussed this with an OPC .

Theres no common points that fail on these but the milage is a big factor .. things like turbos can be around the 100k mark .. engine out job .

Early cars suffer from brittle pipes , this being coolant and the engine breather system.

Early car being 03 - 06

Electrics .. again early cars are haveing some horrible problems these days so a good check that everything electrical works is a major thing to check.

Water leaks .. check the rear washer works , it comes disconnected in the A post and the water gets onto control units .. thats bad !

Pull out the panel under the pasenger seat and see if the carpet is damp there .. that can be bad .

No easy check on the drivers side and these have thick foam under the carpet so its not obvious from feeling the top of the carpet .

Main components are failry reliable .. Tip needs an oil and filter as soon as you get it though ..

Engines do fail again more on the early cars .. bank 2 normally , a scope of the car would be highly recomended pre purchase .

Over all they are a pretty good car untill you put your foot down though .. rather juicy at that point !

Thats my 2 pennys worth .

Alright thats good to know, so budget for correct tyres and replacement of various items if not stock. I was really more worried about major componenets anyways, I would usually get most of the wear and tear items replaced for my sanity to begin with. Thanks for pointing out the the wetness under the front seat carpets!!

I've heard quite a lot about the pre 06 cars having issues and just stopped researching them, I'm more thinking along the lines of an 08-09. Will keep in mind turbos for any cars approaching the 100k mark, though to be honest most I've bothered to look at to seem to be hovering around the 50-70 sort of mark as I've excluded higher mileage ones.

Also wouldnt have thought about getting an oil and filter for a tip so thanks I'll add that to my list.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and including a pic of where I should be looking.

On a side note..... thats a *@&$ ton of wires lol

Np .

The age car you are looking for and theres no set problems basically .. and i must say Cayennes in general are a pretty awesome car .. you wont belive how good they are off road as well .

Btw .. the picture below was what i was looking for on this one .. total Drive Can failure caused by x2 corroded wires .

Attachments

• corrosion_966.jpg
    corrosion_966.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 4,503
I've had a 2008 Cayenne GTS for about 6 months. Really enjoying driving the car, but it is heavy on fuel. Generally average 16-17 driving locally and best I have seen on a long trip was 19.5.
Still I don't think you go into a car like this expecting good fuel economy. I run mine on 98 RON although 95 is OK.
The V8 sound in Sport mode is very nice.
Only fault so far (probably cursed it now) was a coil pack needed replacing which was fixed under warranty by the dealer.

I have had a 2008 GTS for 5 years, its my daily, in that time, apart from routine servicing, which is roughly one service every two years, it has been totally faultless, and I mean that literally.

I considered a turbo but preferred the appearance of the GTS, when I get around to selling mine, I will be replacing it with a newer GTS.

Its a fantastic versitile piece of kit, very capable for it size, great V8 sound track, practical & comfortable.

Do it! :thumb:

Martin Rose said:
I've had a 2008 Cayenne GTS for about 6 months. Really enjoying driving the car, but it is heavy on fuel. Generally average 16-17 driving locally and best I have seen on a long trip was 19.5.
Still I don't think you go into a car like this expecting good fuel economy. I run mine on 98 RON although 95 is OK.
The V8 sound in Sport mode is very nice.
Only fault so far (probably cursed it now) was a coil pack needed replacing which was fixed under warranty by the dealer.

crash7 said:
I have had a 2008 GTS for 5 years, its my daily, in that time, apart from routine servicing, which is roughly one service every two years, it has been totally faultless, and I mean that literally.

I considered a turbo but preferred the appearance of the GTS, when I get around to selling mine, I will be replacing it with a newer GTS.

Its a fantastic versitile piece of kit, very capable for it size, great V8 sound track, practical & comfortable.

Do it! :thumb:

These are exactly the type of experiences I was hoping to hear! Thanks for much guys. Still having a tough time deciding between the Turbo and the GTS, but if the GTS comes standard with sports exhaust thats a huge plus (I absolutely LOVE the PSE on my C4S). Also since I'm already driving a Carrera 4S.... the GTS should feel right at home, wouldnt want my 911 to get turbo envy :floor:

I suppose in the end it will really come down to age and features within my price range. Knowing what I know Im looking for something around 09, so will just have to daily keep a look out for a turbo, but looks like if i go GTS i might be able to stretch to 2010.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back