Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slippydiff's Zanzibar GT3

Could you share a little more info in relation to the JRZ's please.

What model are they? Are you able to share ride height, spring rates and can pressures?

Thanks

Pip1968 said:
Slippydiff said:
Those of you who who lurk on/contribute to the oft challenging PH Porsche forum will be all too aware of the growing groundswell of threads extolling the virtues of the Cayman GT4, Boxster Spyder and the various iterations of the 991 GT3/RS.

And whilst I appreciate the duality the likes of the GT4/Boxster Spyder and the 991 GT3's offer their owners, I do find myself questioning just how "special" these modern iterations of GT cars are, but I also wonder at the degree of skill required to extricate their undoubted performance, all the moreso as it appears the majority of owners seem more concerned with their choice of contrast stitching, ipod connectivity and whether 18 way adjustable seats will be better for their daily commute to work than the 918 buckets ......

The 996 GT3 has no such fripperies, it's "specialness" is in no doubt from the second the engine fires. It has a degree of duality (but only if you're a masochist) but it's that very lack of duality that makes it such a special automobile, and one to be used not for the daily grind, but something that's its very antithesis ; the hoon.
Few if any time constraints, no destination (well apart from a breakfast stop) little if any traffic to contend with whilst being driven on open roads. In other words, driving purely for the sake of driving. And in this brief the 996 GT3 has few peers even in the Porsche pantheon.

The last few paragraphs sum it up for me perfectly. Newer iterations are just that..."new" but for the most part it stops there. The 996 is so simple and without technology you can only enjoy the feel and engine noise.

I was at the Nordschleife this weekend in my M3 CSL only because I have not been there in it for a year or two but although enjoyable it was nothing as exciting challenging and involving as my GT3. I still want to get a GT3 RS before I pop my clogs but also want to keep the 996. Stupidly I did not want to spend another £15,000 over the GT3 at the time of its purchase(for the RS I test drove)

Tweaking the 996 to something along yours is also a strong possible but I would have to let the CSL go to do it any time soon. Will you say who the 'artist' of yours was, perhaps by PM?..

Anyway thank you for the write up.

Pip

Hi Pip, I'll PM you. :thumb:

crash7 said:
Could you share a little more info in relation to the JRZ's please.

What model are they? Are you able to share ride height, spring rates and can pressures?

Thanks

Leave this with me and I'll PM you the details. :thumb:

FredGT3 said:
A great read, sounds like a truly special car.

Not all 991GT3 owners are the same Henry!

:)

Hi Fred, you're right, it was a somewhat broad brush I was sweeping with. My comments were aimed more at the current wave of GT4/Boxster Spyder owners :mrgreen:

Excellent write up :thumb:

who's the creator of this trombone!

YetvDASb.jpg

Sounds an absolute weapon that H, many thanks for taking the time to post all the gory details here.
I wonder why a remote filter was fitted, it's not as though the stock position is difficult to reach.

As already said what an absolute beast. Gorgeous car.

I maybe be wrong but does the oil filter need to be relocated due to that airbox?

Stunning car. I miss my old one sooo much. :nooo:

Super read, nicely written and what a fantastic beast. Looking forward to the next instalment :thumb:

That is some fantastic build. I'd love to have engine like that in my car. :thumb:

I wonder about longevity of these big displacement builds though. Can it ever be equal to stockish 3.6? :dont know:

Any idea how many miles now on this particular build?

It's got 4500 miles on it now. Just been taken out to have the valve clearances checked. Leakdown test results are decent so it's going back in to be thrashed a bit more ;)

NXI20 said:
It's got 4500 miles on it now. Just been taken out to have the valve clearances checked. Leakdown test results are decent so it's going back in to be thrashed a bit more ;)

So they have gone the mechanical cam route and ditched the hydraulics then, no wonder it goes so well.

Never going to rev to 9000 RPM on hydraulic lifters but I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle of having to gap check the thing every 4500 miles.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back