Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locking wheel nut key

dissolved

Picked up a puncture at the weekend, no big deal but when I got it to the shop for investigation it turned out the locking wheel nut key was threaded. Some moron had obviously used it with a pneumatic gun :x

So that was that, had to get the tyre pumped up & back to my mates, only a few mins up the road from the shop but 40 miles from where I live.

Annoying but no great shakes, just need to get a replacement wheel nut key, head back later this week & so on.

Ringing Porsche today, I had to call 4 different centres to find one that had the right key in stock. The fact Porsche don't just take on that responsibility itself is crap, but worse I didn't have to provide any proof that I owned the car before they took payment & shipped one out to arrive tomorrow. Nothing at all.

So basically if I was nefariously inclined I could call a number of centres, get all the variation of keys required & I'd be able to just help myself to wheels etc :x

Things must have changed since i was at OPC as in those days we had no record of what wheel nuts where fitted to a car .. all we could do was use a master set then try everyone untill we found the correct one to get the number .

That was 3 years ago.

At that point it was ordered as none of them were kept in stock.

If you have the key number then i would expect your local center if you had used them before would know you owned the car by the address and wouldn,t ask for more proffe .. you would usually be asked for a V5 if they didnt know you for anything security .

You may well have one of the set i refer to as Monkey metal .. it was a cheap 2 part socket that comes appart leaveing very little to lock into the nut and oftem sliped and damaged the key .

You can with this type hammer the 2 parts back together .

It will be somewhat different if you want the IPAS codes though .. the security numbers for your car .. youll be on your knees begging with every bit of paper you have before they will even Think of giving you THAT info !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back