Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New exhaust fitted to my Turbo

Thanks for the advice guys. For me it sounds like the GT2rs coolers will be more than enough for my needs (in the future).

I understand that the mounts need some modification to fit and I presume a change to the map would be a good idea to get the best from them?

drabux - saw you ad and I'll keep it in mind, but I think I need 2 :D

mistercorn - keep me in mind when they become available as the timing may be right

Remap done - with the exhaust it is like a new car to get to know again. Very pleased

lofi said:
Remap done - with the exhaust it is like a new car to get to know again. Very pleased

Interested to know peoples thoughts / experience on which remap is best and those to avoid.

Im not talking anything full on just sufficient to maximise the benefit of an exhaust upgrade without going to intercoolers turbos etc etc.

Ronam2012 said:
lofi said:

Interested to know peoples thoughts / experience on which remap is best and those to avoid.

Im not talking anything full on just sufficient to maximise the benefit of an exhaust upgrade without going to intercoolers turbos etc etc.

That is one of those can-of-worms type questions but I'll run through my thought process.

Like you I'm not trying to drain every ounce and would be leaving other supporting mods until later/never (throttle bodies, coolers etc). Prices vary and I came to the conclusion that you do get what you pay for, but the improvements from cheap(er) to most expensive are incrementatal. Did I therefore go for the most expensive, no - I went for what I felt was the most reasonable price for me given my aims and balanced that with how long they had had 996 turbo customers and what feedback I could find. I'm therefore happy. I'm sure I'd be equally happy with a cheaper map and just as happy with an expensive one.

My advice, fwiw, is to be comfortable with what you feel is value for you.

Can i ask if this was a 'live' map on rollers/open road-with-a-laptop-plugged-in? I presume it was?

Any idea on the power increase with just the exhaust and map? I'm thinking of going down this route (I said I never would lol!)

I don't want a massive increase, i was thinking 0.9bar or thereabouts after getting a better exhaust fitted. I'm after a little less lag and a quicker response to throttle pedal use really (mine is a Tip car)

Cheers

Andyvvc said:
Can i ask if this was a 'live' map on rollers/open road-with-a-laptop-plugged-in? I presume it was?

Any idea on the power increase with just the exhaust and map? I'm thinking of going down this route (I said I never would lol!)

I don't want a massive increase, i was thinking 0.9bar or thereabouts after getting a better exhaust fitted. I'm after a little less lag and a quicker response to throttle pedal use really (mine is a Tip car)

Cheers

Yes, it was done on a 4 wheel RR with a laptop, starting with a tried and tested map and then making minor adjustments to suit. Took about 2 hours.

I have learnt from experience on here (and back in my Subaru days) not to quote what the output was because it will be deemed either impossible, or that the particular dyno over-reads, etc etc. But I can tell you it makes a significant difference the the strength of the 'hand of god' which pushes the turbo along. The throttle response was sharper with just the exhaust, which in my case was 100cel.

I've not looked down long enough to tell you what it is boosting to on the in car gauge.

If you want to know more about the power feel free to pm me

great thread, and i may have missed it, but who did the remap.

I am seriously considering changes to my 996t of 7 years... just popped on some BBS LM's...now for coilovers. Exhaust and remap....and..

I'm sure most of this will be outside of my available budget :(

charandhindsa said:
great thread, and i may have missed it, but who did the remap.

I am seriously considering changes to my 996t of 7 years... just popped on some BBS LM's...now for coilovers. Exhaust and remap....and..

I'm sure most of this will be outside of my available budget :(

DMS carried out my remap (other maps are available, some cost more, some cost less)

@mistercorn - any thought on those intercoolers?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the 4x4 couldn't be run on a RR?

Clearly duff info..... :dont know:

996ttalot said:
I would never put a tiptronic on a RR - ever!

What happens?

plynchy said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 4x4 couldn't be run on a RR?

Clearly duff info..... :dont know:

AMD at Thurrock re-mapped my turbo (tiptronic), when they fitted my Milltek exhaust, and told me they couldn't RR test it. Can't remember if it was because it was 4WD or tip!

Even if you disconnect the front drive shafts, the tiptronic box does not like being on a RR - any decent place worth their salt will tell you that - have seen two boxes that developed issues subsequently in a short space of time afterwards.

Most dyno places will refuse to put them on as they don't want the risk of a large bill coming their way.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back