Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 987.1 S journey from pre-purchase to making her mine

New badge arrived next day delivery. All legit in terms of packaging and part numbers. Great price from PorscheShop.

No thread on the pins however? Wonder how the bolts attach to it?

Attachments

• front_badgejpg_104.jpg
    front_badgejpg_104.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 8,982
They just push up from behind and kind grip the pins :thumb:

All looking pretty after the service :wink:

Cheers, Chief. Must admit I was perplexed by the lack of thread. Youtube vids make it look like an ultra quick job.

Car is looking good, going to give her the full 12-14 hour detail in the coming weeks. Will be interesting to see the results on white!

p.s. How's the Amber Alert?

The nuts cut their own threads on the badge pins .

Put your hand on the badge then with a 10mm socket on an extension push up on the nuts and turn .

New nuts are the norm but you can reuse the old ones .. they should have a rubber seal on the nut .

You Only nip them up .

Bummer, I did see new bolts advertised alongside but then I didn't realise the pins didn't have threads.

So hold the current badge, loosen the bolts off, am I right in thinking they won't drop out of their position?!

Then put new badge in and tighten back up?!

Should I buy new bolts?

Sounds like once I've got the new badge on, it's best left where it is? Started thinking I could take it off to detail the bonnet.

How have I never seen this thread!?

Cracking car there Marty, loving the tale as it progresses :thumb:

Wonderful cars the Cayman's and Boxsters. Every bit a superb car in their own right.

If I had a Cayman I'd have to detail the engine bay and get a clear perspex engine cover to make it look like this:

gallery09large.jpg

Thanks Ragpicker, I was very lucky to have come on here and got hooked up with Tom 911v.

She certainly is a step up from my heavy front engined Golf.

I have seen those transparent covers, was even one for sale on here. Does look cool, did consider it. Having now seen my engine, looks quite a bit different to his shall we say. How much work is there involved?!

Was a strange sensation buying a car not seeing the engine, I must say.

Removed the old tired badge, detailed the bonnet (clayed/polished/sealed), then whacked on the new badge! What a difference!

Attachments

• new_badge_619.jpg
    new_badge_619.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 9,015
  • badge_compare_566.jpg
    badge_compare_566.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 9,015
Just popping this nearer to the top, now I know that my precious will have to part from my company at some point this year.

Need room for a baby seat and I'm not going Cayenne...

E92 M3 or B8 S4, I've been hanging out a lot with Boba over on M3 Cutters!

Little thread update, not done one in ages.

Ended up keeping her in the end. Have a Golf GT TSi for Bub duties, which I must say has impressed me somewhat!

Cayman is on a Ctek and comes out on choice days where the chances of getting a salty film on her are minimal! Days like today, 0c airctemp but bone dry roads. Such an occasion when I drive her now!

Pleased I still have her, hoping to get her down to deMort's charity even come the Spring.

Next up is some interior refreshment, door sills, leather treatment etc.

Had Iain diagnose some diagonal arms knocking via proxy so took her down to Precision. As always, amazing customer service and always good to see Iain.

He was of course right and he fixed up my front arms and a steering rod. Car feels tip top, he checked over my oil filter that I retained after dropping the oil myself at the end of last summer. Clean bill of health!

Need to crack on with a little interior refresh now the weather is returning.

Drove their 986 S courtesy car, what an eye opener, those cars our fantastic, had my first taste of driving a car with the roof down. When and if I need to move my Cayman on, I am seriously thinking about getting one and making it into a track car.

Attachments

• precision5_567.jpg
    precision5_567.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,132
  • precision4_145.jpg
    precision4_145.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,132
  • precision3_377.jpg
    precision3_377.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,132
  • precision2_no_plate_179.jpg
    precision2_no_plate_179.jpg