Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Y2K's arctic silver 2001 C2 3.4

Finally fitted the 5-spoke 996.2 wheels that I bought last year. They're 10kg lighter than the GT3 wheels and currently they are wearing Bridgestone S-02A tyres.

Only driven for about 75 miles in spirited fashion; my initial thoughts are that the car did feel slightly lighter on its feet on slow speed turn in. It also felt a bit 'skittish' at high speed turn, but that could just be the tyres as it had AD08R before.

Having said that, most likely just placebo effect :lol: , afterall I haven't really driven the car in spirited fashion since my Scotland trip last month.

Anyway I wasn't sure if the 5-spoke would suit an 'aerokitted' car; I think they look fine. GT3 wheels look better though.

Comparison pictures:

Attachments

• dsc_8980_75_190.jpg
    dsc_8980_75_190.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6,191
  • img_2550_75e_208.jpg
    img_2550_75e_208.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6,191
Sport Designs all the way for me!

Like you Y2K, like the idea of lighter weight, genuine Porsche wheels. I am definite that they work on an earlier car without bodykit.

Undecided on how they work with the body kitted version. Though little changes can make a big difference. I much prefer my 996.2 gt3 alloys with the addition of brake dust. It highlights the spokes which makes the alloy appear more 3 dimensional somehow. Maybe a slightly smoked paint job?

Have you thought of the OZ HLT in 18" offering, as per Jethro Bov's car?

Either way, thanks for the review on difference in driving feel. It puts into perspective the benefits of a wheel swap for lighter wheels etc.

I like the later 5 spoke wheels. But I always prefer the look of the wheels from the correct era. I.E I would not like to see wheels from a 997 on a 996.

If you prefer them however, that's all that really matters. :thumbs:

APL911 said:
I like the later 5 spoke wheels. But I always prefer the look of the wheels from the correct era. I.E I would not like to see wheels from a 997 on a 996.

The wheels are from 996.2 rather than 997. There are subtle differences between the 996/997 5-spoke wheels.

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

Jamesx19 said:
Have you thought of the OZ HLT in 18" offering, as per Jethro Bov's car?

I did consider them until I looked at the price :lol: Money no object my favourite would be BBS E88.

Attachments

• e88_cre0lez3_121.jpg
    e88_cre0lez3_121.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7,403
That's my old GT3 after I sold it. I only ever had the factory wheels on it though.

I take it the 5 spokes are for track use Y2K? Makes sense.
Can't beat the GT3 rims for looks though.

Marky911 said:
That's my old GT3 after I sold it. I only ever had the factory wheels on it though.

I take it the 5 spokes are for track use Y2K? Makes sense.
Can't beat the GT3 rims for looks though.

Guards Red looks so good 8)

Yes, and also I just wanted to use those Bridgestones before they go 'off'. And the 5-spoke are so much easier to clean. :lol:

I went to Millbrook Proving Ground a few weeks ago with CAT driving training. I had attended a couple of training courses with Car Limits before, and as expected, some of the elements covered by CAT were very similar to Car Limits. In terms of value for money, Car Limits offers more driving time, but that's no fault of CAT as one is not allowed to drive unsupervised at the Millbrook complex.

It was a good course and good experience though as I got to drive the mile straight, Alpine route, handling course and of course the high speed bowl. I only got up to 140mph at the bowl; the event took place during the weekend where hurricane visited our shore, so it was very windy thus the instructor didn't want us to go much faster.

My driving was..... average, but I did pick up a few good pointers, which of course was the main aim of the day. And I won a bottle of champagne for producing the most consistent lap times at the handling course. :lol:

No photo / video allowed at Millbrook but I didn't see anything interesting, just tens of Chinese SUVs being tested.

Fresh from the course, on Monday I went to Thruxton for a track day. It was a last minute thing as I wanted to make sure of good weather. It was a really quiet day, I think at Thruxton the maximum capacity is 45-60 cars but on Monday there were fewer than 30 cars there. Overtaking was allowed on both sides which I thought worked well.

The car ran faultlessly; hardly used a drop of oil (@ 190 track miles) and the engine was silky smooth. Brakes were outstanding but then Thruxton isn't hard on brakes. The MO30 suspension, whilst great at normal road / spirited driving, felt soft on track. The Bridgestone S02A weren't great either but that's to be expected.

On summer track days the coolant temperature would go as high as 109 degrees, but on Monday I never saw it got any higher than 87.

My driving was best described as 'rusty'; it was my first track day in almost a year and it showed. It was great fun though and I look forward to the next one.

A short drive-by clip:

https://youtu.be/hPf0VYSJgNM

Not much else going on; bought a set of Pagid front discs from ECP for a bargain price of £89.99. And the car desperately needs a clean. :what:

Good to see you are using the car for what it was intended :thumbs:

Also nice to see a silver mk1 aero car on track... I have done loads of bike trackdays and loads of track time in company vehicles but never taken one of my own cars on track - think I will have to change that next year!

Nice thread by the way- enjoyed the read.

Cheers chaps! ^^^^

Couple pictures from Thruxton:

Attachments

• dsc_4841_40_139.jpg
    dsc_4841_40_139.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 6,962
  • dsc_0286_40_205.jpg
    dsc_0286_40_205.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 6,962
car looks great, mine was same spec when i bought it however agter many £££££ later

Attachments

• img_3150_593.jpg
    img_3150_593.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 6,955
  • img_3156_130.jpg
    img_3156_130.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6,955
Very nice lechboy.

coullstar said:
Both look ace. How you finding the difference with the 5 spokes? Is it marginal?

I'd be lying if I said that they have made a huge difference. Although at the moment they are not wearing the optimal tyres as they came with 285 rears rather than 265.

The car does seem a bit lighter on its feet at slow speed though. Anyway, Sky/British Cycling marginal gains and all that. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back