Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone on here have a 993 in "used" condition

Mine has been used, thrashed and pebbledashed....she runs sweet as a nut, is a little dog eared round the edges and is a joy!

Currently on 126,000 miles with no major engine work done and 70,000 miles to from and around the Nurburgring to her name :thumb:

Done nearly 25k miles in the first five years of ownership. Car has nearly 166k on the clock now.

Used condition

Buyers with cash to invest are buying the makes that are desirable and in particular, the model to have. I am a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club and there are wealthy members buying up specific cars, either low mileage originals or fully restored and simply storing them, only bringing them out for the national club concours and of course they win.
One particular member has an elderly friend who bought a new 911 and a 928 in 1987 and has simply put them away, they have only delivery mileage on them, crazy!
I personally know of a "collector" who has a barn full of Porsche 911 turbos, Lamborghinis', Ferraris' and Jensens'. Bought in the last 4-5 years purely as long term investments.

157000 miles but certainly not tired. Yes there's lots of stonechips on the front bumper but I'm not afraid to use it. The interior has very little wear and after re colouring the drivers bolster looks almost like new.
In its first 10 years it covered 110000 miles but regularly serviced.

Albionmuz said:
Might be alone here but I think it's quite sad to know so many are just stored to make money.

Or stored just because they don't have time to use it but simply enjoy owning it maybe.

jonttt said:
Albionmuz said:
Might be alone here but I think it's quite sad to know so many are just stored to make money.

Or stored just because they don't have time to use it but simply enjoy owning it maybe.

Well that's me absolutely.

Its in a similar vein to having several "nice watches" most of which never get worn, its the pleasure in owning them that is worth more than the money in the bank. Of course it helps when depreciation is not really involved but there are always those who take the view unless its "used as intended" its wasted. The world simply does not work like that and everyone has a different value on things / take pleasure in different ways.

Of course all 993's could be used as intended, they would all have steller mileage by now eg 10k pa for 20 years = 200k+ as the "norm" but eventually there would be none to own and appreciate. The value in the lower mileage of what will always be an iconic collectable car are what enables the "used as intended" cars to retain enough value to be worthwhile maintaining forever. I doubt there are any 993's "written" off through mileage wear and tear because of the market created / maintained by the "garage queens" ;-)

For that reason the predictable "they should be used as intended" quote is so ironic :hand:

140k miler here. Intentionally bought with over 100k miles on the clock as I'd had enough of 'odometer creep' and worry of adding miles to previous low mileage examples was spoiling it for me. I've covered 30k miles in 5.5 years in her.

She's took me to Stuttgart and back a week after buying her (getting me back to Evesham in a day via a quick stop at the Ring, and touched an indicated 160 plus on the autobahn) ....... that's 750 miles. Took me and the ex wife in temperatures ranging from 8 - 38 degrees on a jaunt from northern to sourthern Spain and back and didn't miss a beat. She's been raced through the Pyrenees numerous times seeing off a bunch of biker mates, driven all over France in summer heat and hopefully will be heading for Sicily later this year or spring of next, with the new woman in tow.

She's stone chipped, paints scratched in places (I have cats) and has sat outside uncovered for the past 12 months because of having a garage built. BUT. Though high mileage I have spent what she needs (quite a small fortune) to keep her a great drivers car. The exterior cosmetics might not be great but underneath she's still absolutely tiptop. Saying that she's still on her original clutch which hasn't been replaced yet as it still works fine.

I am not interested in her saleability, investment potential or just the thought of owning one, plus I make time to drive her. It's a car to be driven and enjoyed and I love her. Ive wanted one from the first time I saw one in Chipping Campden High Street 20 plus years ago. I'll only ever sell her, if the ***** really hits the fan, and I desperately need the money, but even then it would still be a struggle to let her go as she's irreplaceable. :thumb:

wozy said:
140k miler here. Intentionally bought with over 100k miles on the clock as I'd had enough of 'odometer creep' and worry of adding miles to previous low mileage examples was spoiling it for me. I've covered 30k miles in 5.5 years in her.

She's took me to Stuttgart and back a week after buying her (getting me back to Evesham in a day via a quick stop at the Ring, and touched an indicated 160 plus on the autobahn) ....... that's 750 miles. Took me and the ex wife in temperatures ranging from 8 - 38 degrees on a jaunt from northern to sourthern Spain and back and didn't miss a beat. She's been raced through the Pyrenees numerous times seeing off a bunch of biker mates, driven all over France in summer heat and hopefully will be heading for Sicily later this year or spring of next, with the new woman in tow.

She's stone chipped, paints scratched in places (I have cats) and has sat outside uncovered for the past 12 months because of having a garage built. BUT. Though high mileage I have spent what she needs (quite a small fortune) to keep her a great drivers car. The exterior cosmetics might not be great but underneath she's still absolutely tiptop. Saying that she's still on her original clutch which hasn't been replaced yet as it still works fine.

I am not interested in her saleability, investment potential or just the thought of owning one, plus I make time to drive her. It's a car to be driven and enjoyed and I love her. Ive wanted one from the first time I saw one in Chipping Campden High Street 20 plus years ago. I'll only ever sell her, if the ***** really hits the fan, and I desperately need the money, but even then it would still be a struggle to let her go as she's irreplaceable. :thumb:

Excellent

wozy said:

Uplifting read :goodjob:

Wozy you have a way with words, good for you :thumb:

ATB :)

stuttgartmetal said:
Not for sale.

Pity, otherwise you could buy the 'third party hosting licence' from Photobucket :thumb:

Don't tell anyone, but the roads are really quiet today. Get out and drive!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back