Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Polybushed Tuning Fork Failure

ragpicker

Portimao
I was trailbraking into a left hander 2 days ago when I heard a 'clink' and a thud. As I was late for work I carried on cautiously but noticed that the car was pulling to the left and there was a horrible noise like the front wheel rubbing under heavy braking.

Today is the first time I've been able to get the car on the lift and have a look:

Broken tuning fork:
36293713810_7a4cfee618_k.jpg

Slipped coffin arm bush insert:
36551015351_0804b96281_k.jpg

Drop link broken:
35880103703_099063fa4e_k.jpg

As you can see, there's an awful lot of damage happened due to the failure of the tuning fork. As you can see from the following pictures it is clear that the polybush didn't allow any 'give' next to its anchor point which led to it fatiguing and then failing:
35879585383_8bac12d17b_k.jpg

35854236094_65058abf56_k.jpg

36643027696_00d37de5ef_k.jpg

Without the tuning fork keeping the centre of the wheel pinned in position, under heavy braking the wheel was moving back and rubbing on the leading edge of the front wing. The only think really keeping the hub where it should be was the coffin arm but this was clearly overly stressed in order for the bush insert to move out of the arm.

Needless to say I won't be buying polybushed tuning fork arms again. Good old OE bog standard replacements from now on. I'm obviously going to replace the pair even though only one is damaged along with a new coffin arm.

Could have ended in tears....

:nooo:

I have mentioned on here before that this can happen. Exactly the same thing happened to my on my Evo VI.

Although I personally know the owner of one of the main companies making these things I will not have them on any of my cars.

I was lucky too and after hearing a loud bang realised something was wrong.

Regards
Fred

I started reading your Boxster thread earlier and thought about asking where they came from to fit to my 996. Changed my mind now.

Lucky you didn't come to harm.

This has even got me checking at work to see if we have fitted them .. turns out we have done x1 at a customers request .

I think he will be contacted soon .

Glad it wasn,t more serious though :thumb:

I was considered getting poly bushes a while ago for the tuning forks but after a bit more investigation I thought it was a bad idea due to the end of the fork needing to have some flexibility in the joint rather than just a basic bushes movement. There are some that are designed for this purpose but they still leave that bush too stiff to work correctly and I guess you have found out the hard way although probably quite lucky too.

This was the thread http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112448

I am really shocked and glad that you got away with this Ragpicker. The castor arm failing in this way should have left you in a whole world of scheisse, as it effectively meant you only had the inboard end of the coffin arm providing any form of resistance to fore and aft (accel/decel) forces, on that wheel. Very lucky indeed :thumb:

ETA: Just thought I'd add, the exact same arms are used on both the front and rear of the 996

Surely this joint should be as free moving as possible! As per original.

Should have the minimum of resistance so as to allow the springs and dampers to do their job.

No idea why anyone would put a rigid bush here.....it just works against everything else in the suspension.

This is why the original joint is a spherical. Removing the freedom of movement by fitting these poly bushes is not good.

Very lucky you weren't at high speed when the flutter/caster change at speed could have killed you.

Safe driving out there, and replace with original parts - there's no reason at all why they're 'bad'.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back