Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audi introduces new model naming system!

Porsche News

New model designations will be linked to engine output rather than capacity

Ais adopting a new naming structure across its range, in which model designations will be linked to power output rather than engine capacity.

The German firm says the move will allow future models to reflect the added performance delivered by electric-powered hybrid systems and/or pure electric powertrains, such as that being developed for the company's 2018 E-tron SUV.

The new naming process groups together models on a scale that runs from 30 to 70, with 30 being models having a power output between 107bhp and 127bhp and 70 being reserved for models packing more than 529bhp.

audi-50-tag.jpg

The names increase in an increment of five depending on the output of any specific model. As an example, the Q2 1.6 TDI will become the Q2 30 TDI.

This initially creates eight new model designations:

- 30 for models with between 81 and 96kW (107 and 127bhp)

- 35 for models with between 110 and 120kW (145 and 159bhp)

- 40 for models with between 125 and 150kW (165 and 198bhp)

- 45 for models with between 169 and 185kW (223 and 244bhp)

- 50 for models with between 210 and 230kW (278 and 304bhp)

- 60 for models with between 320 and 340kW (423 and 449bhp)

- 70 for models with more than 400kW (529bhp)

The designation of each model is linked directly to the output of the driveline, irrespective of its layout. The new names will apply to all standard Audi models, meaning that petrol, diesel, natural gas, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrain models will be directly comparable.

audi-55-tag.jpg

Dietmar Voggenreiter, Audi's head of sales and marketing, said: 'As alternative drive technologies become increasingly relevant, engine displacement as a performance attribute is becoming less important to our customers. The clarity and logic of structuring the designations according to power output makes it possible to distinguish between the various performance levels."

The roll out of Audi's new models is set to begin during the third quarter of 2017 with the new A8: the traditional 3.0 TDI diesel will become the 50 TDI, and the 3.0 TFSI petrol the 55 TFSI. The parameters of 55 models are yet to be confirmed.

The new Audi names will only apply to standard models, with S and RS models and the R8 retaining their classic names "in reference to their top position in the model range".

I find it hard to believe this got signed off. Rediculous

Unconfirmed but that could have cost Dietmar Voggenreiter his job...

Attachments

• untitled_146.jpg
    untitled_146.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 6,086
Its not really ridiculous with the advent of hybrid power which will become the mainstream soon before fully electric.

I've been driving a BMW 740e recently which has a 2 liter petrol hybrid engine. If they named that a 720 it would be misleading as it pushes out something like 320BHP with a lot of torque and is more powerful than the 730d i.e. BMW have already been doing a similar thing i.e. The badge reflecting power rather than engine capacity ps so have Mercedes with the likes of the c300 and c350 hybrids and PHED's

This naming system has already been in existence in some markets since 2016. Agree, it's a bit ridiculous.

~ Maxie :?

Not much logical thought gone into this though has there ?

Why does a model have to indicate its power output anyway , surely A3/5/7 etc was clear .... It's more of a surprise on the road when you meet a quick one .....!

It could work, its all bout bragging and boasting in the UK.

has not done any harm with others for playing top trumps.

L, GL, GLX, GHIA, GHIA X. for example.

In Audi's case, we will all know what we will win in a race as well.

They are all at it.

With rivals BMW having disconnected model numbers from engine size many moons ago it is surprising that this is really even news though isn't it? :dont know:

:eek:

Why don't they just have one model of car :?:

e.g. The Audi 80

Then differenciate it from there...

80 Turbo
80 Estate
80 GTS
80 Turbo Exclusive
80 GT2
80 GT3.....
bootyshake.gif

I know...

digger.gif

Double post ..delayed too!

It makes sense to me. When most cars were naturally aspirated petrol engines you could relate engine size to power output, now you can't, so why not?

MC

Very shortly all these electric cars are going to be silly fast anyway. When I drive the family car I'm looking at mpg and range, perhaps they should be using the range indicator as the differentiator between the models.
Just a thought....

Neat - I'll know whether I've got a chance at the traffic light grand prix before we even launch.

arry said:
Neat - I'll know whether I've got a chance at the traffic light grand prix before we even launch.

Assuming that you are behind the Vorsprung durch Technic one to start with !
:grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back