Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It is just very rare in here

Great write up and like others I think the colour is very subtle and gets a :thumbs: from me.

James M-S said:
Great write up, hope you are enjoying the car.

What are the roads like? Any decent corners or is it mostly grid layout like in the US?

I would keep the Tubi system on if it was mine.

James

Great story!

You have numerous exhaust options depending on how you want the 997 to sound (the standard NON PSE is very quiet) and how "original" you want to stay including:

- leave Tubi as is (the easiest especially if you like the sound as suggested above!)
- install the PSE without the vacuum pipes and wiring (it defaults to LOUD) but probably no advantage over leaving the Tubi
- install the PSE and use the Carnewal vacuum lines and remote switch so you can switch to QUIET if you need/want to
- install the PSE and use the wired Carnewal switch so you can switch to QUIET if you need/want to but you need to mount the switch on the centre console or similar and is hence is NOT original
- install the PSE including OEM vacuum lines and wiring including new switch panel (expensive) and see "disadvantages" below
- install the PSE with the vacuum lines and wiring including a latched relay and the OEM switch panel (do a search on one of my posts on how to do this)..you need to be a bit DIY capable but this has the advantage of original look, it remembers the switch setting and does not switch the PSE on an engine rev basis as does the OEM solution
-install the NON PSE exhaust (most original.. but why would you bother?)

Over to you
:grin:

Hi and welcome. I really liked the Fuch wheels. They seemed to set the car off nicely. Keep the info and works updates coming

Welcome, great write up. Car looks great. Keep the updates coming!

I like that you have the built in calculator option, to work out the Porsche Tax and man maths.

Phil 997 said:
ellistai said:
Chigster said:
:useless:
Great write up!
Sorry guys! Didn't know Photobucket is no longer working here. Strangely, their links work fine on my computer!

I have switched to Flickr and I hope it works okay now.

:useless: so please let me know if you can't see the pictures!

Perfect, I have never seen anything like the old west saddle type centre arm rest. lol bet the Americans would pay good money for that armrest. but the car looks very nice, are those genuine fuch alloys or replicas . :thumb:
Thanks Phil!

Those are replicas, so I was't very keen to keep them. They indeed look good, and as others have mentioned, I think they work quite well with the body colour. Too bad they are not genuine.

James M-S said:

What are the roads like? Any decent corners or is it mostly grid layout like in the US?

James
Thanks James!

For big cities like Beijing or Shanghai, they are quite developed and have plenty of good roads (if you can find a moment without traffic jams). For some 2nd/3rd tier cities, not quite as developed but you get to have some nice country roads. But in general, the road condition is bad, and it's quite harsh for 19" alloys IMO.

Tubi...I am still debating :roll:

Phil 997 said:
Welcome to the forum, I like macadamia its a very unusual colour. Sounds like you have a nice car but as others have said find another photo hosting site as photo bucket is useless unless you pay and theirs no need to do that there are other free options, so they will be falling by the wayside very soon.

I get the impression that the Porsche scene is growing in HK :thumb:
Macadamia is also a rare colour in HK. But strangely, it's quite popular in China! Recently I have got to know some 997 owners here in China, and among 5 of them there's another Macadamia owner. Different cultures hence different tastes I guess.

911TEL said:
Great write up , good to see a man that isn't scared to take it apart to get where he wants to be .!!

Personally , I like the Fuchs type wheels better than the gen2 wheels... Nacadamia is a great colour and in Asia just seems to really show well in the light there whereas in U.K. , it's not so popular... but it looks great on the 'S'

I also love the 997 shape and design , it's a great car....

Armrest was a one off though ( I hope!)
Previous owner did spend 6 months on the arm rest. He said the one who worked on the engraving was one of the Top 10 masters in China! Wow! He actually worked on the gear shifter too if you look closely at my previous picture.

I'd say it's art piece! Just not to everyone's taste :worship:

PanozGTR said:
Great looking car. But l would say that anyway as my 997.2 S is the same colour. Some love it and some hate it. Your a man of excellent taste. :thumb:
You are a man of excellent taste too :viking:

So after all, Macadamia is not that uncommon!

alex yates said:
ragpicker said:
:welcome:

Great write up, I love the colour and I actually like the arm rest too.

We always welcome any porsche fan here no matter where you are from. Please keep the updates coming!

:thumb:

That makes 2 of us!

I love metallic brown 911s, In fact, metallic brown is the new cool, unlike chavy white - a colour of yesteryear.

As for a gen II manual, yes they are quite rare due to the fixation of folk wanting a PDK box.
Alex you are in Shanghai?

systech1 said:
James M-S said:

James

Great story!

You have numerous exhaust options depending on how you want the 997 to sound (the standard NON PSE is very quiet) and how "original" you want to stay including:

- leave Tubi as is (the easiest especially if you like the sound as suggested above!)
- install the PSE without the vacuum pipes and wiring (it defaults to LOUD) but probably no advantage over leaving the Tubi
- install the PSE and use the Carnewal vacuum lines and remote switch so you can switch to QUIET if you need/want to
- install the PSE and use the wired Carnewal switch so you can switch to QUIET if you need/want to but you need to mount the switch on the centre console or similar and is hence is NOT original
- install the PSE including OEM vacuum lines and wiring including new switch panel (expensive) and see "disadvantages" below
- install the PSE with the vacuum lines and wiring including a latched relay and the OEM switch panel (do a search on one of my posts on how to do this)..you need to be a bit DIY capable but this has the advantage of original look, it remembers the switch setting and does not switch the PSE on an engine rev basis as does the OEM solution
-install the NON PSE exhaust (most original.. but why would you bother?)

Over to you
:grin:
Thanks systech1 for your suggestions!

If the car were in HK, I would definitely take on the challenge and have the full PSE factory system retrofitted. But the workmanship in China is not that convincing, that's why I am backing out from the idea of doing the wiring works.

The loudness of Tubi is fine for me, but sometimes I find it a bit too "rude" :roll: But on the other hand, the factory non-Sport exhaust has a reputation of being too quiet. Struggling!

nigel99 said:
Welcome, great write up. Car looks great. Keep the updates coming!

I like that you have the built in calculator option, to work out the Porsche Tax and man maths.
Lol the calculator played a crucial role when I was sweating to get the rear badge alignment right!

Thank you everyone else for your greetings! I am glad that I have returned with a decent 997. Will keep you guys posted on any updates!

ellistai said:
Thank you everyone else for your greetings! I am glad that I have returned with a decent 997. Will keep you guys posted on any updates!

Always good to hear how things are for 911 owners in other parts of the world, do keep us updated :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back