Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whining Noise!!!

DucatiRob

Mugello
Have had an annoying whining noise from the rear for a while now, it seemed to appear from nowhere but is constant. It is most pronounced between 1500 and 3000 revs after which the engine note drowns it out, it rises and falls with engine speed so I'm fairly sure it's not gearbox.. or at least hoping it's not! It started some time before a 2000 mile road trip to France at the end of June and has not got any worse at all. Have been meaning to have a poke around but have not had a lot of time recently!

Anyone had a similar issue? Thinking it might be an idler wheel bearing or maybe alternator! :dont know: Hoping it turns out to be something simple and inexpensive for change :sad:

Have you tried turning the AC off? Could be low gas on the AC... It does it even in neutral presumably?
If not AC then you need to get it up on a ramp and have a poke about with it running.

911tom said:
Have you tried turning the AC off? Could be low gas on the AC... It does it even in neutral presumably?
If not AC then you need to get it up on a ramp and have a poke about with it running.

it's definitely not the A/C. I changed the condensers and dryer due to a leak, so the A/C wasn't working at all previously, but all good now and had no effect on the whining noise!

Hi Rob - Mine now does this since its rebuild. I think the noise is from the new larger IMS Bearing with its outer seal removed that was fitted to mine as part of the rebuild? Thought it was gearbox but it makes no difference if the clutch is pressed. Loudest between 1500-2500rpm. We fitted new tensioner pulleys but it made no difference. We then also ran the engine for about 30 seconds with the belt removed (so no a/c, water pump, power steering or alternator) and you could still hear the noise between 1500 - 2500. Doesn't sound bad, but sure it was not there before the rebuild. Listening to the engine with a stethoscope it sounds like it's coming form the IMS bearing?? I've done 7000 miles since the rebuild including a trip across the alps, 174mph on the autobahn and a trackday. The noise has not changed and the engine runs great. I've also had 2 oil changes during the run in and after 5k miles and no sign of any metal particles.

I wonder if any other owners who have the larger IMS bearing (2006 onwards) and who have also had the outside seal removed from the bearing have the same noise :?:

Chris

krispe said:
Hi Rob - Mine now does this since its rebuild. I think the noise is from the new larger IMS Bearing with its outer seal removed that was fitted to mine as part of the rebuild? Thought it was gearbox but it makes no difference if the clutch is pressed. Loudest between 1500-2500rpm. We fitted new tensioner pulleys but it made no difference. We then also ran the engine for about 30 seconds with the belt removed (so no a/c, water pump, power steering or alternator) and you could still hear the noise between 1500 - 2500. Doesn't sound bad, but sure it was not there before the rebuild. Listening to the engine with a stethoscope it sounds like it's coming form the IMS bearing?? I've done 7000 miles since the rebuild including a trip across the alps, 174mph on the autobahn and a trackday. The noise has not changed and the engine runs great. I've also had 2 oil changes during the run in and after 5k miles and no sign of any metal particles.

I wonder if any other owners who have the larger IMS bearing (2006 onwards) and who have also had the outside seal removed from the bearing have the same noise :?:

Chris

Hi Chris. that is an interesting theory!! I definitely did not notice the sound after the engine was rebuilt, maybe a month or so after! I also mentioned it to Hartech when I called to talk about another issue. Grant suggested it could be the serpentine belt and to try a quirt of WD40, this quietened the belt a little but not the whining noise.

My car is MY 2006 so is fitted with the larger IMS, this was replaced anyway during the engine rebuild but I don't know if the seal was removed. I can't think why, if the seal was removed, that the bearing should be any noisier. it would be getting a good dose of oil so should run very smoothly! Might be worth another call to Hartech!

I am going to whip the belt off at the weekend if I get time and check the idler wheels and alternator!

DucatiRob said:
krispe said:

Chris

Hi Chris. that is an interesting theory!! I definitely did not notice the sound after the engine was rebuilt, maybe a month or so after! I also mentioned it to Hartech when I called to talk about another issue. Grant suggested it could be the serpentine belt and to try a quirt of WD40, this quietened the belt a little but not the whining noise.

My car is MY 2006 so is fitted with the larger IMS, this was replaced anyway during the engine rebuild but I don't know if the seal was removed. I can't think why, if the seal was removed, that the bearing should be any noisier. it would be getting a good dose of oil so should run very smoothly! Might be worth another call to Hartech!

I am going to whip the belt off at the weekend if I get time and check the idler wheels and alternator!

..also, as you say, would be interesting to know if others who have had the seal removed have experienced this!

I really can't see it being the ims bearing. If it is coming from inside the engine I'd say its more likely to be chain related.

Edit: or oil pump.

Rob - we should arrange a 'mini meet up', I'm in Northampton and often in Milton Keynes. We could compare noises :wink:

krispe said:
Rob - we should arrange a 'mini meet up', I'm in Northampton and often in Milton Keynes. We could compare noises :wink:

Good idea :thumb: I work in Milton Keynes too so whenever suits!

996 Engine Whine

My 1999 996 is in pieces. So is its owner :x .
I had the IMS bearing replaced as a precaution. Immediately afterwards a whine was heard from the engine. The serpentine belt was removed and the whine remained.
I'm advised that the IMS replacement may be faulty and that white metal fragments are visible in the oil.

Any ideas please?

The car had been running perfectly.

Take it back to whoever replaced it.

I have heard a whine from an aftermarket IMS before .. more noticeable when under the car and it running but it could be heard inside as well.

If it only started after IMS replacement then that is the first point of call ..

Metal in the oil filter is never good and on a standard car is usually an IMS starting to break up .

Strangely, the whining noise disappeared over time, no idea why, didn't notice it getting quieter or when it went :?: I have changed quite a few components since I posted this originally, alternator, starter motor, cam solenoids, tensioner etc. so it was possibly related to one of these! definitely not the alternator as I remember the noise not changing when this was replaced.

Maybe it was something to do withe the engine just bedding in after the rebuild, IMS was replaced then, but just like for like as I have the larger bearing anyway. Certainly no visible metal particles in the oil, inspected filter a couple of times and it's perfectly clean!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back