Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air box 'trumpet' question

As I now have two air-boxes with two snorkels, I think I'll just use a small drill (dremel type thing) to remove the securing lugs on the old snorkel and bin it. That means I can fit the horn to the old air-box to get cold air or use the new one to get sound...

...this will inevitably leave me with an unwanted almost new sports air-box (in about 2 weeks). Unless I dislike the horn for some, as yet unforeseen, reason.

I'm starting to wish I never thought of this...

So, heat was a good call. Bowl of hot water and the snorkel was removed in one piece.

Next issue - the horn fouls on the bonnet lid - see picture below. Not just the lip, it'll foul quite a long way down. See the red lines. Did other people have this issue? Reluctant to start cutting it up.

It's almost like I need a mirror image of the horn I've got - if it bent like the alternative blue line it'd be fine...

Attachments

• 20170815_121356__copy_176.jpg
    20170815_121356__copy_176.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 5,911
Tobesetc said:
I'm starting to wish I never thought of this...

So, heat was a good call. Bowl of hot water and the snorkel was removed in one piece.

Next issue - the horn fouls on the bonnet lid - see picture below. Not just the lip, it'll foul quite a long way down. See the red lines. Did other people have this issue? Reluctant to start cutting it up.

It's almost like I need a mirror image of the horn I've got - if it bent like the alternative blue line it'd be fine...

that's odd since it fitted straight into mine with no issues.

Is that an OEM panel on the underside of the spoiler ?

If youre at the fairmile on wed then we can all take a closer look...

AS far as I know it's original... but the bonnet lid was on it when I got it. The wing is original, but it's not what fouls.

Edit: I have the small aerokit tail not the ducktail... is that why?

One question before I try my first custom fabrication this weekend... what have you (911UK?) used to stick bits of trumpet together? I'm fairly sure I know what I'm going to use and I have what seems like an elegant solution in mind, but want to check if anyone had a better adhesive in mind...

If it works, there'll be a big "unveil" this weekend. If it doesn't... the thread will go very quiet ;-)

Tobesetc, I used some contact adhesive with a copy of screws,not pretty but functional, let me take a picture of it

I checked this weekend on a fixed spoiler and as we confirmed at the fairmile, since you have an insert spoiler rather than a single piece unit, the slight reduction in width in the grill opening is the cause

Done it. Cut the mounting point off the old snorkel then cut an angle on the horn and stuck them together with Gorilla epoxy (which claims to be heat proof way higher than the engine will get). Then - because I'd bought the stuff - I covered the epoxy joins inside and out with heat shield aluminium tape.

May switch back to the sport box in a few weeks, may not.

Attachments

• 20170819_155736_190.jpg
    20170819_155736_190.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 1,373
  • 20170819_155809_687.jpg
    20170819_155809_687.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 1,373
Hey Tobes ....... looks like you have done a good job there ....... I look forward to hearing if it makes a difference ....... or if the engine bay goes up in flames ....... either way it will be interesting ..... lol ...... ;)

So... I admit this is probably placebo or even Emperors New Clothes... but I swear she feels more responsive at speed!

Shame the air con packed up on the way home. FFS...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back