Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil level appears to increase - injectors?

Ragpicker - Any excuse!!!!!

s70rjw - Yes I have, and that may possibly be the issue? Fuel and water will be burnt off on longer journeys.

Oil sent to Millers for a check.

Otherwise, will bolt it back together and find another excuse to rebuild something else soon!

The preconditioning ahead of the oil reading will have a significant impact on the level. Its not a normal engine where all the oil in the head drains down - the M96 is will known for oil hang up around corners as it gets stuck in the flat heads. So unless you drive the same route and conditions before you check your oil level then it can be different. The Aston V8 we have can see a difference of up to 6 litres hang up in extreme (1.5g) cornering on slicks.

Inclination and oil temp will also cause different level readings

That is a good point skinny-monkey.

I remember seeing a post that said you need to get the oil hot ( 30 min drive) switch off, then ignition on - don't start obviously.... And see what gauge says.

I tend to measure oil always cold, and using the dip stick. Maybe, as you say it's just oil draining completely down as opposed to getting hung up in the heads......

Ok wiill do. France tomorrow morning, will report back in a couple of weeks.

Just an update:

Oil analysis by Millers showed a tiny amount of fuel. 0.2% dilution or about 18 ml! ie No issue and certainly does not account for the 200 - 300 ml increase I was experiencing.

(Interestingly, its enough to knock the oil grade from 50 weight down to 40 weight though! - Makes you appreciate that long periods with the car idling on a cold engine, or short runs will require more frequent oil changes, rather than high mileage long runs) Millers lab tech say that fuel evaporates off at a comparatively low temp. so a good hot run should get rid of a bit of this fuel contamination.

Also good news was there is very little wear contaminates present in the oil after 3,000 miles and engine is in good condition.

All back together now. One injector replaced as it was slightly down on others, otherwise no issue. Injector rails cleaned of rust and painted with POR15 to protect them, so that's one job that needed doing taken care of. - Cheers C11BRA

Oil level has dropped again!!! I think Skinny-monkey is right, and maybe simply a case of oil caught up, or not, depending on conditions.

(Also Ragpicker might be correct too!!)

Thanks again to Demort and others

The fuel dilution will be a small part of the drop in viscosity. It is more due to shearing of the viscosity index improvers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back