Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Need a solar trickle charger after latest dead battery.

umirza85

I have a CTEK but currently at my new place dont have space to put the 911 C4S in the garage.

This time after only 8 days and the battery died.... so I think I need an interim approach to keeping (now probably a new battery) fully charged while it doesn't have access to the garage.... hence the solar option.

I've been looking around and reading up and think to be safe something around 5w+ would be great, but the problem is they start getting REALLY large.

I found a 6w from halfords that has great reviews (Halfords Solar Battery Maintainer 12v 6W) and just wondering if anyone else has any comments on this (There's also a 2.4w but I don't think that'll be enough to maintain the battery)?

Also they have an OBD adapter for this to use that for charging, but I believe on a 03 996 C4S that the cigarette lighter port is live?

6W - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...ters/halfords-solar-battery-maintainer-12v-6w

2.4w - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...rs/halfords-solar-battery-maintainer-12v-2-4w

OBD Adapter - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...obd-power-cable-for-solar-battery-maintainers

I bought a rectangular solar panel charger off eBay for about £14 to put on my Audi when I was overseas. Left it on a car park for 6 months with the panel on the dash. Started a treat when I came back for it :thumb:

I think its This but they've gone up to £21.

I cant help with the charger but i feel 8 days is a little short of what it should last ..

If you mean 8 days and its totally flat then you certainly have an issue either with the battery or a discharge .

Im sure there are larger capacity batterys you could fit that would also help it last longer .

Either way its wort getting it checked next time your car is in a garage for work .

Zingari said:
I bought a rectangular solar panel charger off eBay for about £14 to put on my Audi when I was overseas. Left it on a car park for 6 months with the panel on the dash. Started a treat when I came back for it :thumb:

Oh wow that's still way cheaper than the halfords one. Quick question, does this one have an indicator that it's doing something when plugged in.... Because the halfords one doesn't which bothers me. Would be nice to have some peace of mind while away.

Demort said:
I cant help with the charger but i feel 8 days is a little short of what it should last ..

If you mean 8 days and its totally flat then you certainly have an issue either with the battery or a discharge .

Im sure there are larger capacity batterys you could fit that would also help it last longer .

Either way its wort getting it checked next time your car is in a garage for work .

You're right battery was completely gone, had an issue with a cell. It wasn't maintaining a charge or even charging properly. Saw on the race diagnostic. We charged it and after a bit it still wouldn't start on its own. I just replaced it myself with a larger battery..... Now I just need a solar charger to not mess up the new battery and keep it topped up.

Hi,
I purchased this, Oxford WeatherProof Solar Charger. I have used it since April this year and car has started first time every time easily.
Longest I have left the car for is ten days.
You can also purchase extension leads to extend the range from car to panel placement.

umirza85 said:
Zingari said:

Oh wow that's still way cheaper than the halfords one. Quick question, does this one have an indicator that it's doing something when plugged in.... Because the halfords one doesn't which bothers me. Would be nice to have some peace of mind while away.

Yep IIRC there is a blue LED on the panel frame to say it's picking up a charge :thumb:

Zingari said:
Yep IIRC there is a blue LED on the panel frame to say it's picking up a charge :thumb:

Thats great!!! Thanks for the info. Also do you happen to know how many watts this is? Seems quite large so is hopefully around 6, but the ebay listing doesnt say.

Martian said:
We're pretty limited on sun at the mo, and it will be Winter soon! :D

Yeah I was thinking that too, on a positive my car faces South so if I get a larger panel around 6W or so it should be sufficient during daylight to keep a good battery at least topped up. I agree I'd be pushing it with a smaller panel.

jonnny said:
Hi,
I purchased this, Oxford WeatherProof Solar Charger. I have used it since April this year and car has started first time every time easily.
Longest I have left the car for is ten days.
You can also purchase extension leads to extend the range from car to panel placement.

Thanks I looked it up (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Products-OF949-Solar-Panel/dp/B000R593JW) has great reviews but is a little more expensive and seems less powerful then the ebay one mentioned about.

10 days isnt too bad at all really, A few times I've left my car 3-4 weeks without being on the trickle charger (by accident) and it started right up. Guess the issue is once the battery is drained a couple times things go downhill really fast.

I use the Xenta 13w briefcase charger which comes with a regulator. I bought it on special offer from ebuyer.
It fits in the rear shelf when the car is parked and is enough to keep my battery toppped up.

Attachments

• img_0080_271.jpg
    img_0080_271.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 6,063
JKH112 said:
I use the Xenia 13w briefcase charger which come s with a regulator. I bought it on special,offer from ebuyer.
It fits in the rear shelf when the car is parked and is enough to keep my battery toppped up.

Thanks for the tip, i really wanted something above 5W but was afraid it wouldnt fit..... genius with the rear shelf!! I didnt think of that.

Is the lead on this long enough to reach from the back shelf to the cigarette lighter without needing an extension?

Is it this one? http://www.ebuyer.com/675942-xenta-13w-briefcase-solar-charger-e13wby

seems realllly big :eek: :eek:

Yes the cable is long enough to reach the front lighter socket.
You have the right one.
It will fit at an angle in the rear shelf, just propped up over the seat backs, or you can cut off the lower edge where there is a cable recess and this makes it exactly the right size to fit flat on the shelf tucked in behind the seats.

JKH112 said:
You have the right one.
It will fit at an angle in the rear shelf, just propped up over the seat backs, or you can cut off the lower edge where there is a cable recess and this makes it exactly the right size to fit flat on the shelf tucked in behind the seats.

:thumbs: Awesome, was about to order the one off ebay, this seems like a more robust option

tim-allen-more-power-we-just-need-more-power.jpg

JKH112 said:
You have the right one.

Just want to follow up with this for anyone reading in the future.

Still have to clean out my garage so I've been using this since the previous post.

I have to say this solar panel is awesome!!! Left my car a couple weeks almost and zero issues.

As mentioned this will fill the back shelf just over 3/4 of the way, but with that you get a bigger piece of mind knowing that it can keep a healthy battery topped vs those smaller wattage ones.

Thanks again everyone!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back