Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust box repair - welding up the split seams

trig_112

Monza
Both of my exhaust boxes had the common seam rusting and splitting issue. It's taken me a while to get them sorted, but I finally have had them done.

I took them to Custom Chrome in Nuneaton. They have done a decent job, spotted a crack in the main body that I I missed and welded on the mount I had to cut off thanks to rusty nuts (not that Rusty Nuts, from the special interest movies) and all the usual exhaust system fixings corrosion.

It took about a week, it could have been quicker but I told them I wasn't in a rush. Prices differ depending on the work needed, mine came in at £140.

Pics:

Aren't they a double skinned box and that just the outer skin? So the inner skin will still be split?

I was always led to believe that doing just the outer skin would only be a temporary fix. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :dont know:

When i was recently down my local exhaust fabricators inspecting seams i was told when i have the repair when due he will be cutting the old seams clean off and welding a flat piece across the edge of the silencer box, being double skinned it's not easy but assume cutting it off will sort that issue?

If mine wasn't a PSE (made by eisenmann so expensive
+ Porsche tax!) i'd be replacing the boxes with a full stainless Topgear set up for sure, i want to by hook or crook keep the OEM PSE so will too go for the repair when needed.

trig_112 did you have any blowing or bad noises when you had the split seams?

I had no blows, just rust and a few areas starting to expand but not quite separate.

This is a repair really to get a couple more years out of them, they are the factory PSE and I can't quite get my head over the cost of replacement quite yet, especially when I need to look at replacing dampers and a couple of other things.

Should be fine for a few more years if the internal skins were still ok. :thumb:

alex yates said:
Should be fine for a few more years if the internal skins were still ok. :thumb:

Unlikely as they rot from the inside out.

The reason they rot is condensation internally, and it has all kinds of acidic exhaust gasses dissolved in it.

Hence why the stainless corrodes.

So the condensation pools at the lowest point, then rots through the inner skin, then the outer skin.

You need to cut them wide open, replace the inner and then the outer.

Not worth the bother, best just replace unless you are flogging the car or just to put you on for a few thousand then just patch em up.

I said "should be fine for a couple more years if the internal skins are ok"

Guys,

Give him a break - it's £140 to keep them going for a little while longer against £3k for new PSE, £1600 for new Porsche standard boxes or £500 - £1000 for something aftermarket.

I'm sure he knows it's not a permanent fix!

Top gear boxes are £450 but you may get a discount on top of that if you speak to Alex.

I had the Top Gear boxes on for the last 12m while I had these repaired.

I didn't like the sound from them so had no intention of keeping them long term.

The repair to the PSE boxes is nothing more than getting another couple of years out of them while the money spent on the car goes into other areas that need addressing, so worth the money.

Which top gear boxes were they?

You can normaly get a good second hand pair or original boxes from ebay for less than £250. Might be an option if they start to blow.

I picked up a nearly new whole system from a X51 whos owner changed to SS for £300. Guy removed them and left them in is garage for years.

alex yates said:
Which top gear boxes were they?

Mild sports. I just didn't like the sound. I know, Top Gear are a favourite on here so I'm expecting to be chased out by a bloodthirsty crown bearing torches and pitchforks, but it's personal preference. From the videos I thought the loud were a bit much for me and after having had the mild ones, it was a tone I just didn't like. Different strokes a and different folks.

The quality of workmanship is excellent though, I can't fault that, plus a big weight saving too. Objectively, it would be a no brainer to keep them, but these cars aren't exactly about being no brainers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back