Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Immobilisors .... any one have any advice ?

911DG

Spa-Francorchamps
Morning all,

I've heard two horror stories recently of two folks having their 911s stolen from their driveways......

Can anyone recommend a good immobilisor that actually works ? I know it's been discussed before but I'm none the wiser and it certainly doesn't pop up very often on here so wondering if anyone actually even bothers or if they are a waste of cash ?????

Cheers

Dan

Pretty pointless and a waste of money these days as a majority of cars getting stolen are usually by means of the thief stealing the car keys from your house or office, etc.

Safest way is something like a kill switch under your drivers seat.........but don't tell anyone :grin:

I guess you mean "another" immobiliser, presumably with a separate tag/dongle that you don't keep on the key ring?

As I understand it there's already an immobiliser built into the key, which means someone can't copy the physical key and use the copy to drive off.

So as Alex says, your issue is someone stealing the keys to steal the car. For me, the defence against that is the built-in tracker, and that's why you keep the tracker tag separate from the keys when you put them away. It's a bit of a pain, and it does mean every once in a while I trigger a false alarm, but overall I think it's worth keeping up the subscription.

I guess swapping the tracker unit out for a second immobiliser might be a plan, and over a couple years you might get your installation costs back - never thought of that.

mark pearce said:
As you have a 997, Do you not have VTS?

If it is a UK car it will at least be fitted, but if an import probably not (VTS was standard spec in the UK for all 911s from the 997 onwards but as far as I know it was only a little chosen option in other countries). That doesn't mean that a second or subsequent owner will have the VTS fobs and have it activated though. I would expect that most would agree that the extortionate annual charge isn't exactly good value after all, and once the car depreciates to a value where insurers stop asking for tracking systems I'd expect a lot of people just bin it and the tokens get lost?

Autowatch ghost.

Undetectable, can't bypass and immune to key cloning, key theft, obd or anything really. Only way they'll steal it is to lift it into a truck.

You disarm it by inputting your own random button sequence, anything upto 20 interior buttons.

I bought my 997 C2 new from OPC Liverpool in November 2004 and no mention was made of VTS. Having had TRACKER fitted to my 2001 Boxster I had it fitted to the 997. Did VTS only come with Gen 2 cars?

sim996 said:
Autowatch ghost.

Undetectable, can't bypass and immune to key cloning, key theft, obd or anything really. Only way they'll steal it is to lift it into a truck.

You disarm it by inputting your own random button sequence, anything upto 20 interior buttons.

Doesn't work with the 997 range. It only works with the 991 range. I got that information directly from Autowatch a few weeks ago when I asked them about compatibility with a 997.2 C2S.

toffeeman said:
sim996 said:
Autowatch ghost.

Doesn't work with the 997 range. It only works with the 991 range. I got that information directly from Autowatch a few weeks ago when I asked them about compatibility with a 997.2 C2S.

It does - but only 2012 onwards - that was my Go To!

You cant beat the old fashion ways .. a steering wheel lock with the key kept say under the drivers seat .

Theifs will steal your car keys .. if the wheel lock key isnt there they will give up pretty quick.

Other than that i would go with what Alex said .. get an electrician to wire up a kill switch .

911DG said:
toffeeman said:
sim996 said:
Autowatch ghost.

It does - but only 2012 onwards - that was my Go To!

That's interesting. Was this the last year of production for the 997?

If so, it would suggest there was some sort of crossover in tech from the outgoing 997 to the incoming 991.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back