Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil level appears to increase - injectors?

Jamesx19

Hi,

Noticed the oil level recently increase! No reduction in coolant level, no smoking, no fuel smell from oil filler.

I'm thinking a leaking injector. Any other thoughts?

Regards James

A leaking injector would cause rough running and sometimes smoke from the exhaust after the car has been turned off .. misfire type of syptoms so does the car run rough ?

How much has the gauge increased by ?

Coolant is what i would expect so has your car got a dipstick you could look at ?

If none of the above then perhaps the lvl sender is faulty .

Edit to say your car should have a dipstick so look at the colour of the oil on it .

Cheers for swift reply Demort.

No rough running except once or twice very briefly on start up, but not for a couple of weeks.

I first noticed the level had increased slightly after it had come back from new clutch. As the tensioners had been slackened off and new washers replaced at the same time as the IMS bearing seal plate, I thought oil would have drained out and the garage had just refilled a little high. (As checked on the dip stick) being a perfectionist/ obsessive I drained about 250 ml out again. I've now noticed this has gone back up. Again measured via dipstick.

Would a leaking injector produce an error in an OBD2 reader? I have one, but not checked yet.

Edit to say, no emulsion. Oil colour appears the same as before

The oil would have been drained for the tensioner seal so thats going to be the lvl fault at that time .

Personnelly i prefer the gauge so check it there and see if its correct.

The fault code system is not brilliant on early cars .. its looking for open/short circuit to flag a code which this isnt ...

if it was leaking then you would have exccessive fuel in the cylinder which would cause plug fouling , rough running and the car will flag a code for misfire .

In mild cases you would only see a rough running on actual values but that is not an option to look at on your car im afraid .

No Emulsion is the main thing as thats the biggest concern .. if it is fuel then your fuel consumption will raise as you have to think how much fuel would have to go into the oil to raise the lvl .

It may well be nothing so i would advise " customer to monitor " for now :)

Ok cheers Demort. I have a cheap OBD2 I will check anyway.

Also, will pull the plugs and have a look in case. If one of them looks sooty, I'll assume injector is at fault, otherwise reassured for now.

Carfixer, you are right, though it's not water so must be fuel, an oil exam will tell me how bad the oil degradation might be.

Probably time to pull the injector rails and get the injectors cleaned and seals re done anyway, as per Cobras recent posts....

Jamesx19 said:
Probably time to pull the injector rails and get the injectors cleaned and seals re done anyway, as per Cobras recent posts....

If the AOS is of questionable length of service, do it at the same time as this.

Roger that Carfixer. Had to replace the rubber bellow late last year due to a split. No issue since.

OBD2 no codes, I/M emissions shows no issues either.

Now that I think, I noticed the hot idle oil pressure was a bit down recently too.

Don't think I'm going to drive it till I pull the injectors and have them tested. Won't hurt to have them cleaned and rubber seals replaced anyway.

Pulled the spark plugs - No sooty deposits, all clean and in good nick, no smell of fuel.

Southern carbs have tested the injectors - None leaking, tested at much lower and higher pressure than fuel pump would produce with no ill effect. Spray pattern OK, all within tolerance.

I'm Stumped!

Its not like the level is variable. Its definitely increased 200-300ml. Coolant level is bang on with no variation at all, and no condensation or emulsion in the filler cap.

Does the AOS cause a depression in the sump that may allow the level to rise slightly?

Next step is oil for analysis as per Carfixers advice. Can't think of anything else!!!

:dont know:

The AOS just seperates the oil from the good burnable gasses in the crank case .. its a filter basically and for an AOS failure then you dont have the usual symptoms .. increased oil lvl is at least not one ive ever seen from an AOS .

You only have coolant or fuel that could increase the lvl and both seem to be ok .

Carbon canister side goes into the intake so i cant see a fault there .

All ive got and its not much is different oil temperatures when you have checked it as the oil will expand as it gets hot .. basically :dont know:

Yep weird.......

Will the oil tested and see what next. Cheers for your thoughts Demort, helps to have an experienced professional to bounce ideas off. Keeps me sane!

James .. you know im not far from you so i can always come have a look one weekend if you want .. just not this weekend as i have to work :D

BUT .. i do call a spade a spade :p

Brilliant, thanks Demort. I'm off to France this weekend anyway!

Will be about Saturday and Sunday 9th and 10th if not fixed by then. Though you might be off to the Revival that weekend .....

I'm going on the Friday this year.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens.

I thought it would be the oil level different due to the temperature of it being different each time it was measured.... That was my thoughts when I first read the post.

I'm struggling to link the injectors/fuel rail and raising oil levels though, I reckon the OP just fancies removing the rails and injectors and is looking for an excuse for his better half.... 'just nipping into the garage for a few days love, the injectors need removing... the lads on the forum told me so
whistle.gif

:grin:

Have you been doing a lot of short journeys recently? I'm thinking maybe condensation.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back