Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why is it so hard to buy a car?

same problem!

And I am only trying to buy a VW Polo!

:)

As a comparison, I paid £16k privately for my car at the end of May this year.
3.4 C2 manual, 54k, Zenith blue, Navy interior.
Masses of work done by the previous owner and in lovely condition throughout.
Just be patient and something will turn up.
I looked at 10 cars before this one.

That doesn't sound bad at all g911omr.

The one I'm looking at is in a similar bracket. But with over 90k on the clock.
It is a 3.6 however. And a targa, which doesn't command a premium despite being one of the rarest 996s. It's a marmite car I guess.

When did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, just re-read and saw you bought end of May this year.

I reckon you've done well.

Jackzi said:
Sorry, just re-read and saw you bought end of May this year.

I reckon you've done well.

I'm pretty fussy but the previous owner was even more particular.
Manifolds, silencers, clutch, suspension, AOS, rads, condensers, coil packs, water pump all changed fairly recently. Touch wood the only thing that the car needs for a while is the front bumper painting due to rad rash.

That's a good list of work done.

The one I'm looking at has had new pads and discs, a new clutch, water pump, exhaust (aftermarket), recent service and the LN bearing fitted. It'll need a couple of rear tyres and eventually a set of front shocks and coffin arms. But that's in the future, hopefully. I'd probably do the condensers as well.

I'm not going to think about the roof though at this point :?:

Just going to have to keep my fingers crossed there.

Jackzi said:
That's a good list of work done.

The one I'm looking at has had new pads and discs, a new clutch, water pump, exhaust (aftermarket), recent service and the LN bearing fitted. It'll need a couple of rear tyres and eventually a set of front shocks and coffin arms. But that's in the future, hopefully. I'd probably do the condensers as well.

I'm not going to think about the roof though at this point :?:

Just going to have to keep my fingers crossed there.

A quick word on the LN bearing, don't assume it's a fit and forget thing. Make sure you find out when it was changed as these have a life of 40k miles, so budget for that being dealt with at some point.

I rang up about that targa. It's a Cat D stolen recovered. And it's a tip, with a 'paint bucket exploded' red interior. Not sure about that one.

I looked at the targa with the LN bearing yesterday. Not bad at all, I must say.

Although quite a bit noisier and rattlier than I remember the last targa I drove 6 years ago. Sure, the roads weren't exactly smooth but there was a good deal of rattle. The sports exhaust was a bit 'boomy' around 2-3k RPM as well with the roof closed.

I know the LN bearing is technically a consumable now. But it would take me a while to hit 40k. Or not, of course...

Jackzi said:
Cheers for your replies. And thanks for the kind words about the bike films.

I'll actually be making the next one on the RD350, so I'll post that when it's done later this summer.

A film about the history of the 996 is in the works, the spanner in it being actually finding one to own beforehand.

It does seem like 15k doesn't go that far, you're right. It's good for those who've already got one but not great for those of us trying to get back into one. I might get some flack for this, but I'm not convinced a 'regular' 996 (non C4S, etc.) is a 20k car.

A targa would be ideal, as I find the driving experience unique, even with the roof closed.

I took a drive in a C4 that was reasonably priced with reasonable mileage, but it was a tip. I don't know if I wasn't driving it right, but the torque converter doesn't seem to suit the car that well.

Is a borescope really necessary? I know it's only another 100 or so on top of a full PPI, but as far as I can tell it's more of an issue on the 997 3.8.

Should I bite the bullet and be happy with 2 pedals? Or even go for a Cayman S instead?

Decisions, decisions...

If you can stretch to it I'd get a top-up loan for an additional 5/6k over 3 years as you then get into a buyers price range that has some really good cars in it.

Very few(if any) at your current price point won't need work or will have negative history with them but I guess you already know that.

That does sound sensible. As that's what I'm starting to realise myself wizard993.

The few cars in my price range either need a fair bit of work or are perilously close to the 100k mark.

I know it's all about buying on condition and I agree with that 100%. But there's also no denying the psychological threshold the market puts on the 100k figure. It may not affect price directly, but speaking with quite a few people, the consensus seems to be that you'll loose at least a third of your potential buyers after that mark.

I'm not looking to flip a car mind you - I'm looking for a keeper. But it has to be the best possible keeper I can find. And that's proving tricky at my price point.

On another note, this forum and experience has been great so far. Can't wait to actually have a car to contribute more to the discussion.

Jackzi said:
..... there's also no denying the psychological threshold the market puts on the 100k figure. It may not affect price directly, but speaking with quite a few people, the consensus seems to be that you'll loose at least a third of your potential buyers after that mark.

I understand your concern about the number of potential buyers in the future but at the right price you'll always find one - and that's all you'll need.

If high mileage cars are priced correctly they can be great buys.

In your position I'd seriously consider this:

=> http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=7797

Especially if you read this too:

=> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=117860&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gt4

T8 is , I believe, correct and the magic £20k figure still looms. If you want to have a really well prepared 996 with a warantee then that's the sort of figure you will have to pay. Scratch-free perfect paintwork, refinished wheels, new tyres, new rads and an interior with every extra and looking as if it came out of the production line yesterday....then that's the target. That's not including the IMS,RMS and all the other maintenance goodies that need to have been attended to.
The 997 noted looks to be very good and after paying the inevitable costs you will be in the £20k ballpark. 96k miles is not the end of the world......I have a chum in LA with 275k miles on his 250 Lusso!!!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back