Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS (Sorry...)

As stated above, there is a risk in replacing the bearing in situ of:

(A) the bearing not being located properly. Microns out on installation could cause premature failure in due course
(B) causing damage to other components when forces are exerted on them to remove/install the bearing, in directions and in ways they are not designed to withstand

I debated long and hard after buying my 996, and decided on balance to leave well enough alone. The risk of replacing a good bearing seems to outweigh any benefits. Of course if you know your existing bearing is knackered it's a different proposition.

As an aside I though the LN bearing was lived at 4 years/40k miles, so that's all they're guaranteeing it's good for. Strictly it becomes a service item.

Also as an aside, I agree the dual row bearings have been known to fail, but I thought they were obsolete after 98?

Dual row became obsolete after the 3.4 gen ended, 3.6 were single row circa. 2001.

That looks like a great example :thumb:

Decent wedge of history would give me some comfort that's it's been looked after. Clutch done at a respected Indy... Who potentially would have felt IMS?

£18k for a manual 4s looks good value...not going down much from there.

My mate bought same model on an 05 plate in April 2015. Absolutely mint ... 25k miles.

Few months into ownership...IMS let go... £8k bill.:frustrated:

So mileage and condition is no guarantee . But I agree with Terry, drive and enjoy

:grin:

Just looked at that C4S - looks great to me and a well written ad - says a lot about the seller :thumb:

Tell tail signs for bore scoring (nearly always rh block) are left sooty tail pipe and rattle from engine. Try doing some youtube searches on bore scoring for examples.

Do not agree to purchase without having a bore scope. If you've half an idea of what to look for in a car and it looks right, personally I wouldn't bother with a ppi.

Bore scope, bore scope, bore scope.

Peter Morgan sums it up here:

a gen 1 3.8 997, but you get the jist. Make sure you read the description.

Just having a browse of the MOT history on that C4S (which all looks fine). There's some absolute muppets about who aren't even fit to own a car. Failed it's MOT back in 2009 due to this:

Nearside Rear Tyre(s) incorrect because different size tyres are fitted on the same axle. (4.1.A.1a)

:duh:

I'm with Alex on this one.. any failures I've heard of recently have been on engines that's had the IMS replaced!
Most of factory IMS that did let go in the past (including mine) happened at low mileage...
Which is why my money would always go on well used, well maintained 996 over a low mileage garage Queen.
For piece of mind the current consensus is to remove the outer dust shield at the next clutch change.. as recommended by Hartech.

As for some Indy's finding bits of metal in oil filters thus requiring a IMS change... I personally would want to see the IMS in situe first before I made any decision.... Imho. It's a great way for some less than honest indy's to play on people's fears and make some extra cash :thumb:

IMS

Mmm. I have never heard that it is dangerous to change the ims. Never heard of engine failure caused by changing ims, but others allegedly say that they know of it. People are mentioning some Porsche indys are not doing a good job, WHO? We would all like to know who to avoid.

All Indys that change ims bearings in situ, it's bad practice and it isn't possible to press a bearing in perfectly as the shaft is unsupported at that end and puts strain on chain guides when attempting to press it in.

That clip on the bore scored 997 is absolutely horrendous. The c4s at 18000 pounds looks like good value. I notice the car covered 12000 miles in three months in 2015. That could be a record! Service history looks ok but the duff tyre mot failure points to a less than fastidious owner.
Rick

So......
Ive just come back from viewing the car, and it does seem like a really good one. Very genuine seller and a superb history file with detailed records going back the entire way.
OPC and then Northway, JAZ, Charles Ivey etc. Lots of work carried out, including a bore scope inspection at around 80k.

It seems like a great car - BUT
It has 14 owners! FOURTEEN!
I'm a 'buy on condition' kind of guy, but 14 owners!
The history includes details of every one of them, and the first owner had the car for 9 days! Then Edinburgh OPC is registered twice, then about a new owner every year. I just don't get it. The car's great, but I don't know whether to be really put off by this. It's perception, but that just feels like a hit on value.

What do you think?

Fourteen owners, but at least two are traders, and can you confirm that all the rest are individuals?
Also quite a few types will buy a 911 just to tick a box or scratch an itch. I would not worry about the number of owners, but I would drill down into the service history.
Rick

^I concur. My car has had a load of owners, the guy I bought it from did (literally) 500 miles in the car before selling it to me.

As long as the condition is good then number of owners is just that - a number.

When it's concern is if it's a sign of people buying it, discovering it's horrific secret and punting it on sharpish before it becomes a gateway to hell/the engine blows itself up so impressively it leaves only a metallic fog in the engine bay.

Is it not a bit of the nature of the car in regards to owners, buy it, enjoy it for a summer then move on to something else before you lose too much in depreciation?

14 owners in 14 months would put me off. 14 owners in 14 years, not so much. How long did the last owner (or two) have it?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back