Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel Consumption - 997.1 Turbo

Had mine a couple of months now- I'm getting 15-18 on short journeys and had a (light footed) 25 last week on a longer trek with some motorway.

It's worse than I thought it was going to be, but the grin makes up for it!

I get 18mpg out of my 997.1 turbo (tyre pressure 28psi front 32psi rear).. I thought that was pretty good for the performance offered. I used to get similar mpg from my RS4 & GT-R.

I've just done a 3000 mile road trip to Bosnia (and back) in my supercharged VXR8 which averaged 12mpg! The 100 octane fuel in Italy at €2 a litre was a nice treat!

I only get 32mpg out of my daily diesel Discovery!

I wouldn't worry about your mpg, as long as your enjoying the car.

C63_2_4S said:
I know I will probably get burnt with comments about "oh you bought a turbo why are you worrying about the MPG" ......... I am (with reseting the trip on the PCM) getting roughly 12.0 MPG around town (central London) on short journeys. Sometimes even less.

I have a Tiptronic S

Is this normal? This is not even reaching mid way on the boost gauge on a sprint?

No one should flame you for any queries about fuel consumption if you feel that something is wrong although I'd personally query why you bought a 473 bhp car for so much town usage.

I can't say whether 12 mpg is extraordinarily low for such use but it does seem so given that when I first got my car I spent the first few weeks hooning it as much as possible and never got below 17.

Since then in 15k miles my car has averaged 22.33 mpg and the only time it went below 20 was in the forests of Germany.

Mine is also a Tiptronic S - driven 50/50 in 'M' and 'D' - and has done a lot of motorway/autobahn cruising but even if I used it more on UK B roads I'd be disappointed with less than 20 mpg overall as that is what my 996T achieved over 11k miles.

Most importantly, if your car is only boosting to half the gauge when being driven hard there is definitely something wrong. If you get that sorted out I think you'll be impressed with both the performance improvement and the mpg.

Good Luck.

Had similar issue 14.5mpg not seeing max boost - turned out to be seized turbo acctuator

graemeho said:
Mpg does sound low. When I first got mine it was stubbornly on 19mpg , rising to 22 if driven carefully. At the time I thought this was just how they are. About a month later CEL flashed up, lambda aged fault on no.2 bank. I changed both (post cat) and it's now 27 average, 31 if driven steady. Check your lambdas

Thanks will do. This sounds like it could be the case....Will get the car on the diagnostics.

T8 said:
C63_2_4S said:
I know I will probably get burnt with comments about "oh you bought a turbo why are you worrying about the MPG" ......... I am (with reseting the trip on the PCM) getting roughly 12.0 MPG around town (central London) on short journeys. Sometimes even less.

I have a Tiptronic S

Is this normal? This is not even reaching mid way on the boost gauge on a sprint?

No one should flame you for any queries about fuel consumption if you feel that something is wrong although I'd personally query why you bought a 473 bhp car for so much town usage.

I can't say whether 12 mpg is extraordinarily low for such use but it does seem so given that when I first got my car I spent the first few weeks hooning it as much as possible and never got below 17.

Since then in 15k miles my car has averaged 22.33 mpg and the only time it went below 20 was in the forests of Germany.

Mine is also a Tiptronic S - driven 50/50 in 'M' and 'D' - and has done a lot of motorway/autobahn cruising but even if I used it more on UK B roads I'd be disappointed with less than 20 mpg overall as that is what my 996T achieved over 11k miles.

Most importantly, if your car is only boosting to half the gauge when being driven hard there is definitely something wrong. If you get that sorted out I think you'll be impressed with both the performance improvement and the mpg.

Good Luck.

I wouldnt say I use it for "so much town usage" its just where I have been travelling to at present...

The car is boosting fully, but what I am saying is I do not get it up to full boost (because of road space) and it still consumes alot of petrol.

Thanks. Will keep the thread updated incase other members come across the same issues.

The PCM tends to be a little optimistic on my turbo.........30mpg on computer is nearer 28mpg filled up tank to tank but always averaging 26 - 28 mpg with mixed A/B road and motorway. A good spirited run mixed with steady cruising to the end of the tank will usually yield 26-29mpg. If your on it all the time in low gears using the boost I can see where the fuel may go. I find the beauty of the turbo is the torque, and going from a 2 litre S-tronic diesel daily to the turbo at weekends, I find myself cruising through roundabouts in 4th or 5th gear as the engine is so docile at minimal rpm.... :thumb:

steve baker said:
The PCM tends to be a little optimistic on my turbo.........30mpg on computer is nearer 28mpg filled up tank to tank....

Every car I've owned or driven over-states the MPG on the computer readout. My daily driver consistently shows 56-57MPG, but the brim-to-brim calculation is 50. My friends Range Rover shows ~28MPG but the true figure is 19! I've yet to see an accurate one.

My Gen 1 was about the same as my mates, his is a manual mine was a tip. The fuel con's drops as soon as you start getting boost, When I drove my Gen 1 down to London the mpg went up to about 33 if I remember right but I wasn't booting it, just sitting at 75 mph with the cruise on.
The Gen 2 I have is actually worse than my old Gen 1 tip, around the town and on the motorway it's returning less.

You pay for your pleasures!

easternjets said:
...The Gen 2 I have is actually worse than my old Gen 1 tip, around the town and on the motorway it's returning less.

Wasn't the Gen2 with the DFI engine and PDK 'box meant to return something like 20% better fuel consumption than the Gen1?

easternjets said:
My Gen 1 was about the same as my mates, his is a manual mine was a tip. The fuel con's drops as soon as you start getting boost, When I drove my Gen 1 down to London the mpg went up to about 33 if I remember right but I wasn't booting it, just sitting at 75 mph with the cruise on.
The Gen 2 I have is actually worse than my old Gen 1 tip, around the town and on the motorway it's returning less.

This is your old Gen 1 mate :) :lol:

I drive mine daily and get 19mpg on my urban commute.

Martian said:
steve baker said:
The PCM tends to be a little optimistic on my turbo.........30mpg on computer is nearer 28mpg filled up tank to tank....

Every car I've owned or driven over-states the MPG on the computer readout. My daily driver consistently shows 56-57MPG, but the brim-to-brim calculation is 50. My friends Range Rover shows ~28MPG but the true figure is 19! I've yet to see an accurate one.

I wasn't disputing the accuracy of the trip computer but merely suggesting that the OP's 12mpg on the trip might be a couple of mpg out compared to the actual. :thumb:

12 mpg seems a bit harsh! My ex Turbo was mainly motorways and A roads , so hard to comment 😟

Slayer said:
12 mpg seems a bit harsh! My ex Turbo was mainly motorways and A roads , so hard to comment 😟

Very harsh - Especially coming from A45....

I think it should be something simple like a Lambda sensor like suggested by another member.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back