Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS (Sorry...)

As I stated in my 1st post.

IMS

Totally agree a new ims doesn't make it bomb proof, but the existing ims is on 94k miles. My opinion it has to be safer with a new ims. But as people say its down to personal choice. :thumb:

alex yates said:
I'd be more concerned about bore scoring on a 996 C4s.
Absolutely!..I looked at three and they all had scored bores and one went bang a couple of weeks after I viewed it :roll:

The failures were mainly down to manufacturing tolerances, not age or wear.

alex yates said:
As I stated in my 1st post.

You also stated that if an IMS has gone past 50k 'It's not going to fail' - Its a bold statement and one you can't guarantee.

Is it the case that having any work done could actually cause more problems than it solves or is that never going to be the case so the worst case scenario is that you have spent money you perhaps didn't need to rather than you have hastened the demise of your car? I'm assuming the IMS replacement is a recognised one...

jboy said:
Is it the case that having any work done could actually cause more problems than it solves or is that never going to be the case so the worst case scenario is that you have spent money you perhaps didn't need to rather than you have hastened the demise of your car? I'm assuming the IMS replacement is a recognised one...
Changing the IMS bearing is a risky business and there is one poster on here that had a catastrophic failure after a precautionary IMS change.

Not only is there high risk of not installing the bearing correctly in the shaft (I'm a Toolmaker and have witnessed many kack-handed bearings pressed in at an angle by folk who don't know what they're doing), but also the chance of breaking chain guides and chains jumping a tooth and throwing the cam timing out.

Replacing an ims bearing in situ is not only unprofessional but usually executed by outfits who harp on that they only carry out work to Porche's standard operating procedures. Porsche will never ever change a bearing in situ. These shysters who yank bearings are full of no.2s and only promote swapping bearings to fleece money from weak-minded 911 owners .

Ok thanks - that is interesting. My c2 is on 59k and probably due a new clutch in the next 12 months so the IMS is something I am considering understandably......

Have it checked out and have outer seal removed. If there's a problem, get on here for advice.

This is what I love about this forum....!
An astounding breadth of knowledge and plenty of healthy debate!
Thank you to all who've contributed - given me a lot to think about!

Suddenly, I'm not so bothered about the IMS, but have turned my anxiety to the bore scoring!
Any simple tell tale signs to look for...?

On the 993's, they were so relatively simple to examine that I could tell very quickly whether a car was a good'un or not. With the 996's, it seems much more tricky, with the sense (probably wrongly) that there could be this hidden time bomb hidden deep inside.....

...is it really such a roll of the dice to buy a 95k motor...? I wouldn't think twice about it on the 993 - but I'm sensing potential big bills due to mileage on the 996. Is that unjustified?

As Clint Eastwood might have said, 'the question is, do you feel lucky'? If you are the type who would rather not walk under a ladder, or get involved in breaking a mirror, then all sorts of arguably more sensible sports cars are out there. On the other hand, life is short and we are a long time dead!
Rick

In the current market that seems like a really good car for the money.

Sadly buying any 996 Carrera is a bit of a lottery but look at how much car you're getting for under £20k compared to what a similar mileage/spec 993 would cost you.

If the car passes every check you can realistically put it through I'd go for it and enjoy driving it. IF in the future the worst happened (a £10k bill for an engine rebuild) it would still represent great value-for-money motoring and bizarrely the car would probably be more desirable to any future buyer.

They're a fantastic and reliable motor and the best value for money sports car on the market. If your gonna buy one, condition is priority over age and mileage. If it's got a decent full history, looks right and the bores aren't scored, then you're fine.

A quick 15 minute search session on this website soon highlights that there's more gen 1 997s with bore-scoring and ims bearing failures than 996s. I've visited Hartech on a couple of occasions and seeing the amount of 997s racked up for engine rebuilds soon highlights the fact of how more robust the 996 is. It put me off wanting a gen 1 997.

On a slightly other note, a gen 1 997 with Hartech rebuild can be bagged (if you're lucky) for 996 C4S money.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back