Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why is it so hard to buy a car?

Marky911 said:
However 3.4s can still -
D chunk
Oval bores
Drop valves
IMSB fail
Chain tensioners snap
Crankshaft bearings wear through
Etc

....Crack heads...

I've seen pics on this very forum of a 3.4 with 300k miles on an unopened engine, theres another one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtEq9OeGF60

Its what I'm aiming at for mine.....although I think the worlds petrol will run out first.

Too right Wasz, I'm not bashing them, just pointing out the possible, although rare-ish faults so I don't come across as 3.6-bashing 3.4 fanboy. ;)

They're all great cars when they work. It's when they break that things go sour, but every hobby costs money so what the hell eh? :thumb:

I was chatting with a local indy about the bores on the 3.6. In his opinion, it's an issue that afflicts the 3.8 997s more often.

But as a result of that, people have jumped on the bandwagon and have been demanding/offering borescope checks on the 3.6 as well.

I'm not one to doubt the wisdom of Hartech, or anyone else's experiences for that matter. But the whole issue doesn't put me off the 3.6 as I prefer the look and overall package.

That and the fact that there are no 3.4 targas.

Not wanting to turn this into an engine argument, but on the basis of the last few posts, I'd rather pick up a reasonable car for my budget and then spread the cost of remedial work/improvements over the course of ownership.

Oh and just to add that I'm fully aware of what to expect from a car that's over 15 years old. I've had quite a few and am by no means expecting a mint condition motor for the money.

That's exactly why I want one. Because it's not new.

Jack , its does sound like you have a very realistic understanding of owning a 911 and what may or may not happen , which is also the case for many many other marques take range rover as one example and the huge list of what may possibly go wrong with a few at some point.
Owning any car will bring some poss risk but then there also the possibility the bus or train won't arrive if you dont lol. Think its called living in the real world :grin:

Borescore can be quite an emotive subject and if you do the research you will see two clear camps on the subject the "it will happen to all 996.2 and 997.1 cars at some point" which is a very open answer as it leaves it true when a car reaches 500,000 miles and needs a rebuild :hand: and theres the other camp which I sit in that are of the opinion that "it may happen to 10% or poss 15% of these cars" which leaves 85/90% that it wont happen to or at least not until an age/miles where any car would need a rebuild. Dont forget owners who have to spend 8/12k on a rebuild they were not expecting are very much louder on the internet that the hundreds of thousands who it has not happened to. I have yet to read a thread on the internet that says " hey guess what drove my car and nothing went wrong" :floor: :floor:

What I can tell you is that I owned my 2006 gen1 997 tiptronic for 4 years adding 50k to the final 89k miles had it borescoped when I part ex'd it and it was clean as a whistle. I did make the dealer borescope the gen2 997 I was buying and when he said "why its a gen 2" I said "well if you want to do mine then I want you to do yours " anyway that was also clean as a whistle.

Keep us posted on your search , I must agree a bit with the poster who said about the extra weight in the wrong place and the added troublesomeness of a targa roof , but they are very much a car that if you love the look then you have to have and I get that , I was the total opposite and on both my 911s I wanted cars with the sunroof delete option so minimal weight and rattles. which also limited my search options, but each to their own.
:thumb:

Sometimes knowledge and a realistic understanding of owning a 911 are an impediment to actually owning one.

And I'm sure many forum readers (for various brands) can attest to that.

When I was younger I bit the bullet on a few cars without much thought as I didn't know much about them (M635, E34 M5...). Things didn't always end well, but at least there wasn't much dithering or reading of horror stories before that.

The Internet is both a blessing and a curse in that respect.

When in Germany, I started reading on the Porsche Fan Forum and everyone was terrified of a leaking RMS at the time. So it took a hell of a lot longer to even consider a car with that in mind (it wouldn't put me off now).

In any case I don't see why not when it comes to a borescope considering it isn't a huge additional outlay.

And might make for a great Internet horror story :lol:

targa

drove mine home today from lakeside after some shopping and it clocked the 100.000 miles so only worth pocket change now , and I assume anytime now I will here a bang , good luck with your search

Re: targa

markv8 said:
drove mine home today from lakeside after some shopping and it clocked the 100.000 miles so only worth pocket change now , and I assume anytime now I will here a bang , good luck with your search

You must have enormous pockets :)

jboy said:
markv8 said:

deep

markv8 said:
jboy said:
markv8 said:

deep

ooow mark over 100k you better not ever drive it again :floor: :floor: best put in the garage and call it a work of art . by the way I can run to £10 if you need to shift it before it explodes into tiny fragments. I do have the number of a guy that will only charge you a £5 to remove it as scrap :floor: :floor: :floor:

Targa

:floor: its outside with a please take me sign on it even the scrappy drove past it oh well perhaps i will give hartech a call to save it from impending doom but it still pulls 171 so shouldnt take long to get there :floor:

Mine has 150k on it! Full main dealer service history and a couple of Indies. It is like new inside and out and pulls like a train. Seems to have been very well looked after..

I do hope it keeps going for a lot longer as I love it!

Not sure if it's helpful, but I wanted a Targa.. looked at loads.. Well.. 6.
Had to be manual.
Had to be seal grey

Then fell in love with C4, silver, convertible, tip.... and bought it.
it creaks and rattles like a tip-clipper in a gale! :-D

Would I change it now? Not bloody likely!

find an honest one. it doesn't matter what it is, you're still going to love it :thumb:

I'm actually going to check out a seal grey, manual targa tomorrow.

Done a little over 90k miles and has had a fair bit of preventative work done as well as lots of wear and tear items replaced (brakes, pads, clutch, etc.).

Wish me luck :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back