Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Servicing - OPC vs Indy

jotaking

I have been looking at the GT3 used market for some time now and have noticed that most cars have a mix of OPC & Indy service records?

I find this surprising when you consider the value of these cars?

IMO it makes sense to keep all the service and maintenance within OPC?

Am I missing something here?

Is the service cost that different from OPC to Indy?

And...

Is that even relevant considering the cost of the car?

Could anyone enlighten me?

Also...

If a car has been serviced by an Indy can it be put on an OPC warranty in the future?

And finally....

Would you be worried by an all Indy service history on a GT car?.

I found the OPC network not very capable. The warranty is boring as you can't touch the car at all. My 997.2 GT3 is not under OPC warranty and is not serviced at OPC either. Waste of time and money.

My car got Alcons, 5-lug conversion, coolant fittings welded.... track car. They would never warranty this weapon. :)

On the other hand I would not run a 991 GT3 out of warranty.

^^ this

I've never had any of my 911s serviced at an OPC & I've seen some horrors on cars that have been serviced solely within the network. The OPCs are not the paragons of servicing perfection that many owners like to believe. Most indies are staffed by people who used to work in OPCs & got tired of the target-driven culture that permeates every aspect of the business model.

The GT/Turbo cars are more likely to see hard use & be "over maintained" as a result. It makes much more sense to employ the services of an indie who understands these cars in a way that an OPC simply can't even dream of. For example, my indie doesn't work on anything "normal" in the Porsche sphere at all & will turn away people looking for a service on their Carrera; he has more than enough work to keep him busy on the models he knows & loves.

ETA: It's fairly normal on GT cars to see them serviced within the OPC network for the first few years & then go to indies as they get a bit older. There's nothing wrong with that & it doesn't mean people are penny-pinching, more that they realise that their money is spent more wisely outside of the OPC network. Indies will be fitting genuine parts from the OPC so there's really nothing to be concerned about.

As Mike says, on the newer 991 stuff, it makes more sense to keep them within the OPC network for now but this may change further down the road. I'm not so sure though as I detect a different demographic are buying these cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back