Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Useful tip Richie. Similar to the IMSB but bigger really thumbsup

Oh and loved the camera drops. Nothing wrong with authentic Grin Thumb

Glad you appreciate the artistic flair I intentionally added in the form of camera drops Paul Wink
Just to add, as I forgot to mention in the video: the bearings during repetitive heat cycles start to lose the grease. This then combines with metallic particles and collects around the magnetic inside the gearbox as a silver paste. So you can actually check if your bearings (main and pinion) have started to wear by draining the oil and sticking your finger inside the gearbox drain port, then if you point your finger forward you can feel for this grease/paste around the magnet.

Dammit wrote:
Picked up this threads issue of 911 and Porsche World today to read on the train, it'll get pride of place in the Morning Reading Room.

Cracking job, and one I suspect that is not yet over - looking forward to seeing how it develops next.

Indeed Dammit, I am still waiting for the LSD issue/redesign to be sorted. Once back I can then finally get back into it.
Glad it brightened up your train journey Thumb
Cup 9:35 diff, Airbox, PAS, front lip
BBS 19's
H&R Suspension
Carbon wings/doors/bonnet/door cards

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little engine work today due to a noise. Trouble is I can't bed in and test the new LSD until I resolve the engine issue first. So incase you ever need to, here is a little guide on Tappet (hydraulic lifter) replacement:

Here are the parts and tools I ordered:

If the engine is installed, then you need to strip away exhaust, manifold, brackets, coil packs... to gain access and clean away any debris/oil stains...:

You'll then need to drain the engine oil then pull out these plug so that you can set TDC on the bank you are working on:

You'll need to look in this hole to check the bank you are working on is at TDC:
[

Lock in TDC:

Fit this special tool into end of camshafts:

Disconnect cam solenoid plug and the cover 2xbolts:

Undo oil pump 4x10mm bolts:

Undo head cover 23x bolts and prise open:

Then remove cover:

Here is how it looks inside:

Fit cam special cam support tool:

Remove tensioner:

Remove oil pump:

Unbolt the chain sprocket but ensure you tie wrap in place to keep the timing:

Unbolt variocam solenoid 3xbolts then remove securing tools and drop out complete cams with vario cam assembly:

Here are the tappets:

Pull them out and jobs a goodun Wink

BBS 19's
H&R Suspension

Last edited by ELA on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

New997buyer
Yas Marina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! thumbsup

997.1 turbo
Ex 996.2 turbo, 996.1 C2

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
Welcome back! thumbsup

It was a painful few months not being able to crawl around under the car getting covered in ***** Paul. Glad I survived that dark period though. Even managed to find another way to sort out pics. Just need to go back through and sort out all the previous ones when I have a week spare frustrated
BBS 19's
H&R Suspension

thecarfixer
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you're in there I'd look at the Variocam tensioner pads and replace them as they tend to get eaten by the chains. May as well whilst it's in bits!

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont believe what I did today; aimed to get it all buttoned up rebuilt and tested. Well I checked the timing was all good then fitted the 2 aft cover plugs then fitted the fwd one but I got a bit too excited and pushed with a little too much force. Let this be a lesson to anyone else doing this job. Don't do this silly mistake. I have now had to strip it back down again scrape off sealant, Order new plugs from Porsche...
Yes sometimes you are fighting battles you could really do without frustrated

Oops:

Start again to remove the plug:

BBS 19's
H&R Suspension

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned earlier in this thread about the potential to offer parts or packages in the future, as going the whole hog is a seriously expensive undertaking. Well today I devised this little idea of a potential way into a CLR with basically 3 levels:

Essence: For me this is the enthusiasts buy in point, intrinsically all the essential ingredients to get a truly magical and optimised 911.

Evolution: The next rung on the ladder. All of the above + an extra dollop of CLRness.

Extreme: This is the no holds barred Daddy; the full works with potential for a full Hartech big power engine rebuild. Includes both of the packages above.

This table may help explain a little better:

Nothing here is finalised but at this moment in time it is the most probable way I'll take this in the future. Right now I am redesigning some suspension components again (4th time now) as during the testing phase I noted some fatigue. I now have a solution but a 2 month timeframe is required to manufacture the prototype parts in the States. These are however fantastic and made by a TUV approved manufacturer. The LSD is also still in the trial phase. Once these 2 issues are resolved and tested, I will be putting the car through the full TUV approval process. I have also recently been certified in Germany for Chassis development & restoration and Automotive Technical by the IHK (Handwerkskammer), a regulatory body for these type of trades, which is a massive hurdle out of the way Very Happy

Anyway I just thought I'd update and I'd appreciate any thoughts on the table above or the ideas I mentioned Thumb
BBS 19's
H&R Suspension

Last edited by ELA on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

BenC
Montreal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great way of doing it, then potential clients can spread the costs a bit as they get more involved.

is it worth giving the power to weight ratios or 0-60 times etc as examples as the car evolves with each stage - so people have something to gauge what it's going to feel like?? just a thought Smile

New997buyer
Yas Marina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear and precise. As BenC says maybe some ‘for instances’ will help with seeing how it’ll feel. But definitely a step in the right direction thumbsup

997.1 turbo
Ex 996.2 turbo, 996.1 C2

Harv
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to get any hard data for power increases that the induction and exhaust mods have made? I think potential customers would like it even if it's fairly crudely presented.

I know we spoke about gt3 throttle bodies and that would also be a good mod to add if its proven to offer further gains without the need to overbore or re-cam the engine.

EGTE
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving that Heart/Body/Soul arrangement, Richard!

Can I suggest Exe-TC suspension for the Extreme Soul level? They love building to customised specs, FYI.

Test-drive mine if you want to compare to Ohlins (or speak to Jeremy Laird) Smile

Cheers.

Marky911
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
I love the package pricing ideas. It's clear and professional.

My only tiny worry/query would be are there enough punters out there willing to throw very large chunks of cash at their 996 in one go?

That's not in anyway a criticism of what you're offering, I'm simply looking at where the 996 market still is etc.

Coming from someone who is fascinated with the evolution of your car and loves what you've done with it (as you well know) I just wonder if you would be better off offering everything individually as well as the packages you've proposed.
That way if someone wants say, the lightweight battery they could, then a bit later LWFW etc.

It's a hard one, I just know as a tinkerer I have an end goal in my head for my car but can't afford to blitz it in one go, plus I enjoy the journey and would get bored if it was "finished".
When I buy parts and carry out mini projects bit by bit though, I still feel like I'm heading towards that end goal.

So I think what I'm wondering is would you be better off staying true to how you want to do it, offering complete packages but maybe slower turnover?
Or sell individual parts with a steady trickle of them constantly selling?

Or am I missing the point altogether in that the exclusivity comes from buying the whole package. A sort of Singer for the 996? In which case ignore me and crack on. Wink

Good luck either way. I hope you see the rewards for all the hard work. It's well deserved. Thumb

Dammit
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Marky says it very much depends on what your own goal is here, from the perspective of a potential customer I'd be interested in groupings of like parts- for e.g. the carbon body panels.

I'd want them unpainted, to be delivered to the body shop nearby, which may be completely against your philosophy however.

pothole
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely an interesting approach and I think absolutely the way to go in terms of offering a range of packages for fully modded and finished cars.

Personally (and as others have mentioned above), I think it would be worth considering also making individual parts available to buy. It's tricky to know how many people would want to send a car off for extensive mods, but I'm sure there's a market for a range of parts that have a level of thinking behind them that's exceptional.

It may be that if a brand can be built from the parts, then selling the 'packages' will be more viable. If you add the 997 platform into the mix, too, then you have an even larger market - one big enough to perhaps build a significant business.

Not an easy call as I understand if there's a desire to only offer packages that really deliver on the philosophy involved here

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts gents Thumb

I thought the overly wordy guff might put a few off so I'm glad it didn't scare everyone. Just to be clear, Heart refers to Engine/powertrain, body = chassis and Soul is the tactile/feel element. If somebody wanted the Essence package for instance, it would include all of the elements in the Heart/body/soul fields under the Essence column. If you wanted Evolution it would mean you get all of the Essence column plus the Evolution column...

Just to clarify on a few other things I picked up on; I'm no marketing strategist and will probably never be able to cater for every single config that everyone would personally want but my thoughts on this matter are that Singer have a successful thing going on, as far as I can see. Now I don't think the world is quite ready for a 996 Singer just yet but feel that a 3 pronged approach could be the way forward. I feel Singer do not offer parts as it would dilute the brand and I don't really want to turn into a tuning shop selling parts especially when you have the potential shipping issues for large carbon panels. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. My intention is to spend my days twirling spanners and seeing through the creative design aspects of this concept in order to create/offer a truly magical driving experience. All of the design thus far is for both 996 and 997 models. I know I have taken a 996 as the base but in all phases, I have contingency measures in place to ensure the 997 is also on the cards.

I don't see this venture as a business person would and don't want to get rich off the back of this. I have spent serious money getting to where I am already and feel very lucky having got to this point already with my own personal tailored 911. The creative design and rewards from driving such a car is what does it for me. I want to try and offer the absolute best products available for 996/997 but at an affordable (relatively speaking) price. For instance I've roughly calculated that if I sold the Essence package for €21500+VAT I'd be just scraping by but would need to be constantly churning out cars. This would never include the infrastructure and development costs at over €130,000 I would have spent to get a full working demonstrator. I then need a workshop with ramps...
I know it sounds expensive but if you tally up the parts prices alone you will see that there is no money being made here; exhaust alone will cost you £5k. Then registering and running a business in Germany is not cheap etc.

I don't know if it is remotely feasible to make this work but we only live once and I have already got myself far deeper into this than I ever thought I would.

I'm not sure if that answers all of the questions but would like to thank you all for your support throughout this project and for your thoughts on this idea thumbsup

ETA:
Ben/Paul: Jethro Bovingdon was lined up to drive the car in August but due to a few development issues (continuing still), I was not happy to present the car to him when it wasn't ready so this is on the back burner at present. As I respect his opinion massively, I want his take on the performance differences as he drives a fairly modded 996 himself. I was planning to use his opinion to describe the feel, performance changes and 0-60... so for this reason I haven't mentioned these figures. Also this car isn't about numbers. In simple terms it will deliver greater performance figures 0-170mph than a 996TT but it is the feel elements: sound, character and how well it drives... that are not possible to describe with numbers and that really is the raison d'etre.

Harv: I've not forgotten the GT3 throttle. I still plan to try this option. I just want to get the current set-up thoroughly tested and dyno proven to see where it currently is.

EGTE: That really is a kind offer for a ride in your car. When I'm next in the UK I'll be knocking on your door Thumb

Marky: Thank you, true gent as ever Thumb I think I answered your point above. Dammit again I think I answered your question above hopefully. Pothole both the 996 and 997 models apply Thumb
BBS 19's
H&R Suspension

LBoase
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELA wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts gents Thumb

I thought the overly wordy guff might put a few off so I'm glad it didn't scare everyone. Just to be clear, Heart refers to Engine/powertrain, body = chassis and Soul is the tactile/feel element. If somebody wanted the Essence package for instance, it would include all of the elements in the Heart/body/soul fields under the Essence column. If you wanted Evolution it would mean you get all of the Essence column plus the Evolution column...

Just to clarify on a few other things I picked up on; I'm no marketing strategist and will probably never be able to cater for every single config that everyone would personally want but my thoughts on this matter are that Singer have a successful thing going on, as far as I can see. Now I don't think the world is quite ready for a 996 Singer just yet but feel that a 3 pronged approach could be the way forward. I feel Singer do not offer parts as it would dilute the brand and I don't really want to turn into a tuning shop selling parts especially when you have the potential shipping issues for large carbon panels. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. My intention is to spend my days twirling spanners and seeing through the creative design aspects of this concept in order to create/offer a truly magical driving experience. All of the design thus far is for both 996 and 997 models. I know I have taken a 996 as the base but in all phases, I have contingency measures in place to ensure the 997 is also on the cards.

I don't see this venture as a business person would and don't want to get rich off the back of this. I have spent serious money getting to where I am already and feel very lucky having got to this point already with my own personal tailored 911. The creative design and rewards from driving such a car is what does it for me. I want to try and offer the absolute best products available for 996/997 but at an affordable (relatively speaking) price. For instance I've roughly calculated that if I sold the Essence package for €21500+VAT I'd be just scraping by but would need to be constantly churning out cars. This would never include the infrastructure and development costs at over €130,000 I would have spent to get a full working demonstrator. I then need a workshop with ramps...
I know it sounds expensive but if you tally up the parts prices alone you will see that there is no money being made here; exhaust alone will cost you £5k. Then registering and running a business in Germany is not cheap etc.

I don't know if it is remotely feasible to make this work but we only live once and I have already got myself far deeper into this than I ever thought I would.

I'm not sure if that answers all of the questions but would like to thank you all for your support throughout this project and for your thoughts on this idea thumbsup

ETA:
Ben/Paul: Jethro Bovingdon was lined up to drive the car in August but due to a few development issues (continuing still), I was not happy to present the car to him when it wasn't ready so this is on the back burner at present. As I respect his opinion massively, I want his take on the performance differences as he drives a fairly modded 996 himself. I was planning to use his opinion to describe the feel, performance changes and 0-60... so for this reason I haven't mentioned these figures. Also this car isn't about numbers. In simple terms it will deliver greater performance figures 0-170mph than a 996TT but it is the feel elements: sound, character and how well it drives... that are not possible to describe with numbers and that really is the raison d'etre.

Harv: I've not forgotten the GT3 throttle. I still plan to try this option. I just want to get the current set-up thoroughly tested and dyno proven to see where it currently is.

EGTE: That really is a kind offer for a ride in your car. When I'm next in the UK I'll be knocking on your door Thumb

Marky: Thank you, true gent as ever Thumb I think I answered your point above. Dammit again I think I answered your question above hopefully. Pothole both the 996 and 997 models apply Thumb

ELA this is a mighty impressive project. Hats off.

The €21.5k you mention is not too bad, IMO, given the work and the inclusion of £5k exhaust and Ohlins suspension. The only thing I would personally not want is the Fuchs wheels as I'd prefer to go full sleeper.

Dammit
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been transparent about the cost of adding Ohlins to my car - with the exhaust you're at half the cost of the full package already.

I'd agree it seems good value.

EGTE
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget those are CLR-spec Fuchs: super light, strong (forged) and with minimum offset (maximum width), all to achieve best handling response. I've been extremely please with mine.

Considering blacking up the centres (only with Plasti-dip, probably) to get this (sort of) look, which is pretty stealthy:

ELA
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would offer 3 different options for the wheels. They are genuine Fuchs and pretty much the lightest wheels available (I saved 22.9kg with my wheels/tyres). Here are the 3 options:

Black, Silver and Black/silver (RSR) like on my car:

In terms of the parts price, here are a few of the items:

The Fuchs wheels are around £2100
Ohlins are around £2500 (for 996C2)
CUP2 tyres are around £750
Inconel625 exhaust £5000
Top mount+top caps £680
LCA £1508 (Cost me + TUV approval later)
Ducktail £1500+Prep/paint
RSS engine mounts £435
SSK £327
LWFW £885
Clutch stage 2 £556

My Essence package above includes much more than what I have just listed + around 60hours labour, geo, paint...
Also many misc items I forgot to calculate like saw blades, brake fluid grease, tyre fitting (€80), new steering arms, exhaust gaskets/bolts, wheel centre caps. So I probably have to sit down and properly go through it for accurate costing.
BBS 19's
H&R Suspension

c3p0-2000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered offering each heart/body/mind for each level of "trim" as individual packages as well as all three to make up the complete trim level.

That way you will have a wider market, since more people could afford them and build up to a complete trim over time by buying the three packages.

Also, this allows some level of bespoke creation, which we all like to do virtually and discuss on line and also in practice. So for example, somebody may want to do an extreme level in say "mind" but "essence" in heart/body.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 34 of 35

Jump to: