Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radar detector..... advice/feedback needed

RIGGERZ said:
I've had a stinger VIP on mine for the last 4yrs never gone wrong and saved me quite a few times. Only downside is the price great piece of equipment
http://www.stinger.com

Rigger - what have you found it has saved you from? Mobile cameras? If so, it sounds like the device is somehow picking up laser scatter - which would be incredibly useful.

Mobile radar is rarely used in the UK.

Hi Rob it's saved me from a few laser guns and fixed cameras nothing worse than talking in the car to the Mrs as a distraction. It also tells you if the fixed camera is switched on. Unlike most laser devices this sends the right code back for that particular gun not s generic code. To start with you get a few unwanted radar alerts but the system as a false alert setting.

Rob325114 said:
I did some research on laser detectors / jammers a couple of years ago after losing my licence in Australia (one speeding ticket: 39 in a 30mph zone, zero tolerance area). I don't have an Australia licence to lose, but I wouldn't have been able to drive for 3 months if I did.

As was mentioned earlier, the radar detecting equipment is pointless, as the UK police are largely only using laser to collect their stealth tax. Then my understanding is that laser detection is nearly pointless, since by the time it's hit your car, and your gismo flashes, your speed has already been beamed back to the speed detection unit. All it is telling you is that you just got caught.

As for jammers, pretty sure these are illegal in (at least) the UK. You can get in A LOT more trouble for using them than just a speeding ticket... so I would strongly advise against these.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/15073866.Man_who_used_laser_to_jam_speed_camera_appears_in_court/

I use the free TomTom app that creates a watermark over the top of my Google maps. It tells me what my GPS speed is, what the speed limit is, and flashes for fixed and reported mobile cameras, and warns me of jammed traffic ahead (very useful if you're at motorway speeds and will need to brake hard shortly). It also starts automatically when my phone connect to my car bluetooth.

Which TomTom app are you referring to?

RIGGERZ said:
I've had a stinger VIP on mine for the last 4yrs never gone wrong and saved me quite a few times. Only downside is the price great piece of equipment

Did you fit the laser heads to the front and rear of the car or just the front.

Thinking of getting the Laser LED fitted, any idea what the benefit of the VIP as fitted to your car?

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks

Bikeracer1098 said:
RIGGERZ said:

Did you fit the laser heads to the front and rear of the car or just the front.

Thinking of getting the Laser LED fitted, any idea what the benefit of the VIP as fitted to your car?

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks

Riggerz - lovely Turbo! Regarding the VIP - what is it actually doing with the laser speed device? my understanding is that if it's just alerting you to it, it's too late; if it's blocking it, it's illegal... :dont know:

isysman said:
Which TomTom app are you referring to?

The "TomTom Speed Cameras" App. I downloaded it about two years ago, and it's been excellent. In addition to speed camera warnigns, it very reliably tells you the speed in certain areas, which is useful where the signage is poor. It also warns you of traffic jams etc - and is very lightweight.

I am now reading somewhere else that you might have to pay a small fee for this app... but i have never paid. I just downloaded, and away I went!

Hi Rob it puts a shield up once you hear the laser go off it as already sent a signal back to the gun but a Pacific signal for that gun not a generic one. I have mine set to 5sec then the shield goes down so they can get another fix on your ca this time at below the speed limit

No problem mate hope you get sorted 👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back