Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Single mass flywheel with which clutch?

Good work James, you have it nailed in that post :thumb:

I'm certain that rpm won't just be bolting these on and haven't heard any reports of their cars cranks failing.

Who knows what the DMFW comes with out of the box :?: perhaps by their nature they don't need to be too well balanced as they simply smooth it all out until the springs inside fail. David gave me some good figures of how a few grams adds up when you move that outside the centre line of the crank and spin it at 6500 rpm. A bit like pulling G in an aircraft and the multiple times things weigh (for comparison).

Flip side, Infrasilver's crank broke when the dual mass flywheel failed (can and does happen and that's why they say change it when the clutch is at end of life)

Pays your money and takes your choice (or should that be chance)

I'd love to see some knock sensor graphs for our engines (back to back for both flywheels) as by design I thought the flat 6 was inherently well balanced.

:thumb:

I asked rpm if they balance them when fitting and the answer was no they don't and have never had any faults

Thanks for clarifying that, should inspire confidence in those going for it.

I don't recall the out of the box balance figure for the TTV smfw but certainly you can improve it significantly by selecting a good machine shop.

Picked the car up and took her for a long drive and im very impressed with how much more urgent it feels
It has added to the nvh levels but i don't mind that at all think I'll change my driving style a little as when pootling along in traffic and taking a slow corner in a higher gear than i should the vibration is a bit much
Chatter wise I sat there with it idling and thought "there is non" however on getting out and having a listen from outside it does sound like a diesel (a bit) luckily the sports exhaust on idle drowns most of it out
But so far so good :thumb: 8)

Excellent feedback and glad you went for it.

Indeed you'll adjust to it and so does everyone that gets into a GT3, don't get many complaining about the NVH of those and everyone wants one :lol:

Goodstuff Lee, glad you're happy with it. Really adds to the experience doesn't it.
You'll learn to drive around any chatter, mainly don't lug the engine, stay in a gear lower when turning into junctions and accelerating etc.

Apart from that it's just the chatter in neutral with the clutch out but you can say "because race car". :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back