Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche warranty.... mod the exhaust???

Singhaa88

So I collected the GTS today and everything is as expected however I need some advice from the group please....... I have extended Porsche warranty on it until the end of the year, I was contemplating getting it extended after this point, but I want to do an exhaust mod and get rid of the centre section - will this void the warranty?? I'm in the UK, not sure if that changes certain regulations or not.... cheers

Any warrenty claim that could be affected by the non Porsche parts will be refused ..

In other words if the exhaust mod could be a cause of an engine fault then Porsche wont pay .. why should they ..

But if you had say a shock failure then the mod would play no part in that so it would still be covered .

If you wish to extend the warrenty then it would fail the 111 point check with a modified exhaust .. it would need to be put back to standard before they would give you a warrenty .

I'm discussing the same tomorrow at my dealer when the cars in for some warranty work.
I'd like a muffler delete but no map but with 16 months warranty left am not going to risk it if the discussion leaves me in any doubt

As Demort says......you will fail the 111 point check to begin with. My OPC won't extend the warranty without N rated tyre, they are that strict.

That's a shame, I posted the above question to a group on FB and the answers seem to be the same.... I guess the only way to do it is get the warranty and then have the centre muffler done and if I ever need anything just re-fit it before it goes in.....

Is a shame really considering it's only a centre muffler, hardly going to affect the engine negatively... just allow it to breathe better! And sound better!

FZP said:
My OPC won't extend the warranty without N rated tyre, they are that strict.

My OPC even changed the Windscreen Wipers after my cars 111 point check, as they were non OEM :eek:

Im afraid that anything that non Porsche spec or item will fail a 111 point check .. but if you think about it Porsche wont warrenty an item they dont supply .. if its a bosch battery and it fails inside of warrenty then why should they pay a third party for a battery to replace the bosch one when it should be a Porsche one.

Do i agree with it .. hmm .. some of it but at the end of the day they have rules for a warrenty and it either complies or its doesnt pass.

I still think that x4 matching tyres non N rated shouldn,t be a failure and there should be an exclusion for non Porsche batterys but i dont make the rules .

Just my 2 pennys worth .

TonyC911 said:
FZP said:
My OPC won't extend the warranty without N rated tyre, they are that strict.

My OPC even changed the Windscreen Wipers after my cars 111 point check, as they were non OEM :eek:

A perfect example .

I asked the question at Porsche Sheffield yesterday.
I positioned it as a muffler replacement, possibley sports cats but NO remap.
She went away and came back 5 mins later...
The whole car will still be covered apart from anything to do with the replacement part or any fault that occurs which can be attributed to the replacement part.

It won't get re-approved via the 111 check and as they advised my tyres were low she also took the opportunity to remind me that it would also not get extended if I didn't have "n" rates tyres.

So... the exhaut components definitely wouldn't be covered - but I'm concerned that any engine related failure (partial or full) would be attributed, rightly or wrongly to an x-pipe and 200cell cats... :nooo:

Please remember guys, Warranty is just another name for Insurance, and those b*****ds will do ANYTHING to get out of paying up!!

If your part increases the power by a hamsters breath, they could say the car has suffered more stress than standard, and void pretty much anything on the car!!

I wouldn't risk it. I'm not sure, but do you have to get it serviced at Porsche to maintain the warranty, or just use Porsche parts etc?? I have a 2 year OPC warranty on mine, and never thought I might have to take it to an OPC for servicing? Luckily they stuck new N rated tyres on before I bought it!

:eek:

Singhaa88 said:
So I collected the GTS today and everything is as expected however I need some advice from the group please....... I have extended Porsche warranty on it until the end of the year, I was contemplating getting it extended after this point, but I want to do an exhaust mod and get rid of the centre section - will this void the warranty?? I'm in the UK, not sure if that changes certain regulations or not.... cheers

Jeeezus H Christ Singhaa! If you even dream of modding your GTS, your OPC warranty will be ripped into a thousand pieces....

If you want to keep OPC warranty, best bet is to stay totally standard. And I mean standard, totally OE. It seems once you stray from standard that the whole warranty thing becomes a little grey. You give Porsche 'wriggle room' by changing things.

I can understand guys who are hell bent on keeping OPC warranty but it's not for me. My turbo is far from standard (and much better IMO) but I intend keeping it for some time. If you plan chopping in within 2 years I'd keep an OPC warranty on it. It'll make life much easier come trade in time.

v8fettler said:
Please remember guys, Warranty is just another name for Insurance, and those b*****ds will do ANYTHING to get out of paying up!!

To be fair to Porsche, my car had an engine rebuild due to bore scoring, covered by warranty (circa £10k). Also, during my last 111 point check they pointed out that my steering rack had a slight leak and they replaced it and did a 4 wheel alignment all under warranty (circa £2,400), no quibbles with either.

For me, I wouldn't be without a Warranty / Insurance for peace of mind.

v8fettler said:
I wouldn't risk it. I'm not sure, but do you have to get it serviced at Porsche to maintain the warranty, or just use Porsche parts etc??

My understanding is that as long as the car is serviced within the guidelines and only genuine / OEM parts are used, then an indie is fine. Of course there is a risk that the indie fails to use OEM parts and you only find out later down the line...

Porsche have done warranty work for me with the bypass fitted. Renewal, as expected, is not possible.

OP I think the one thing you can say is you can't generalise...it's down to each individual OPC whether it has an impact on your warranty as I understand it. If you bought your car from an OPC I'd be speaking to them first and asking what their policy is...if not i'd be taking a trip to whichever OPC is your local and introducing myself to the Service Manager and asking him what the policy is.

AS a fellow GTS owner I know what you mean about the exhaust but the GTS engine does offer a little bit more at higher revs because of the powerkit than a standard S engine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back