Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Took the Plunge - New Head Unit

Martyn1

After a year of living with the old PCM 2.1 unit I finally got around to upgrading the head unit. After a long discussion with www.johnkleisaudio.co.uk/ in Reading I decided on a Kenwood DMX-7017DABS Andriod Auto unit.

Fitting by John Kleis was painless(for me) and seems to be a good job done, so far very happy and also pleasantly surprised to find WAZE now supported.

See attached photo

Attachments

• kenwood_880.jpg
    kenwood_880.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,913
Very nice martyn, so much better than pcm2.1 :thumb:

Looks great.

I used those guys to fit my mObridge unit a couple of years ago - also had a good experience.
If you don't mind me asking how much was the unit and fitting?
How do you find the DAB reception round Oxfordshire?

Looks very good, do you still have functional steering wheel controls?

Can the buttons on the bottom be changed to the relevant colour to match the Porsche switches on this?
And don't suppose you fancy doing a little video showing us how well it works as been contemplating a new head unit for a while but most I've liked have mainly been apple car play based and I'm a Android fan

Answers to Questions.

Yes Waze is working, only thing missing I can see so far is actual speed v Speed limit, Im also not sure if speed camera warnings are there, I dont remember seeing any this morning on way to work. Will double check tonight.

Cost you should budget around £1K (includes BOSE cable - £250ish if not needed)

DAB reception, not good through Henley (I see the same on my wife's RR), but from there to Berkshire M4 Junction 6 was fine this morning, it does have FM and AM as back up if necessary.

I didn't (and still don't) have steering wheel controls.

Thanks Martyn, like that a lot, great functionality too.

Martyn1 said:
Answers to Questions.

:thumb:

Alerts are the best thing about Waze (camera/roadworks/debris in road etc).

Would that be down to the settings on your phone?

James M-S said:
Martyn1 said:
Answers to Questions.

There are settings in waze where you turn those things on/off, so id go into the app and check they are enabled!

rabbitstew said:
James M-S said:
Martyn1 said:
Answers to Questions.

There are settings in waze where you turn those things on/off, so id go into the app and check they are enabled!

+1 thanks Martyn and agree waze's warnings are super useful :thumb:

I was certainly getting 'roadworks / Debris /Car on hard shoulder' type warnings. Will check if anything else turned off/on.

How is the colour scheme when you are listening to the radio? I really liked the functionality of this unit for the price, but when I happened across it in the flesh in Halfords for a few seconds was put off by the vulga (that may be the first time I've used that word, I must be getting old) on-screen colour scheme (in the mode it was in at the time at least).

I wondered if it could be changed but there was nobody to ask, and I doubt they'd have known anyway.

The spec sheet I read suggested screen and button colours were selectable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back