Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT4 Vs GT3

You have to remember the GT4 was £65k new. That's the same price as a gen.1 997 Carrera S when launched in 2004.

I don't think it's fair to say it can only be compared to a 10 year old GT3. Won EVO car of the year and many other awards.

isysman said:
You have to remember the GT4 was £65k new. That's the same price as a gen.1 997 Carrera S when launched in 2004.

Talking about base price in the context of Porsches is a bit deceptive though. Especially with the GT4 where (unlike the GT3) the Clubsport option was a cost option on top of the cost of buckets and most of the entire Cayman options list was available. Most GT4s in the UK seem to have £7k-15k+ of options on top of the rather disingenuous "base price". Nobody has yet really lost money on them unless they paid over book in the initial feeding frenzy, but the large number of cars brought in has pushed the current values fairly close to what was paid for them new.

Another interesting thing when talking about the prices of the GT4 compared to a 996 or 997 GT3 is that the typical options spend on the GT4s are somewhat more than it was even possible to spec on the earlier GT3s. On the 996 in particular there was the pricey option of ceramics on the gen 2, but otherwise you could throw practically the entire options list at them for less than the price of the seats in a Cayman...

Nastymatt said:
Mate had a GT4 and sold it within 300 miles. Why? As an every dayer he hated the seating position of the bucket seats (even tho they had been adjusted) and he didn't like getting in and out of it.

So he's chopped it in for a Spyder - which he much prefers. Maybe it's a little 'softer' than the GT4 (no bucket seats, not as stiff set up, not as crashy over bumps etc)

Plus the Spyder is totally different to his other 911's.

Not all Gt4's are specced with Bucket seats, mine has the Sports seats and these chairs are excellent .... the bucket seat roll in / roll out scenario was one of the things I really disliked about my GT3's....

Drove the GT4 earlier this week. 918 seat position felt great, if I didn't have any legs.

Enjoyed driving a GT car with a manual, felt playful and fun, but it didn't feel serious or ominous in any way or form. Brakes felt good, but it was missing something in the bends and it didn't carry speed like a 911 does. Felt a bit like wearing a suit with trainers on for the commute.

I owned a 991.1 GTS for 14 months and regretted it as soon as I'd sold it. Now I've driven a GT4, GT3 and handful of other marques since, the GTS was just sublime in comparison. It took getting rid of it for me to appreciate that I'd have to spend another £60k to find something better that could be driven daily. To be honest, I'm not sure there is a better daily. I only sold mine because I needed something I'd let my dog into.

I'm hunting down a 991.1 GTS (for similar GT4 money) that has the spec my GTS had but I want a colour that stands out more than my black on black GTS had. It may take some time but the GTS is worth a wee wait.

It's a brilliant car with a sublime gear change, great handling and balance and
the fun factor is up there alongside a GT3. I can say quite categorically that
into and through corners it carries just as much speed as a 3'..and with minor
fettling it's a whole lot easier to trail brake into them too. My only gripe...and
this purely for the track driver, is the silly tall gearing, and the engine lacks a
bit of top end grunt, another 40 ponies would sort that out.

However, if you're looking for what's going to put a big smile on your face, and
you need two boots, and most importantly, something you can throw around
the corners, it's genuinely off the scale. And like owning a 996/997 GT3,
there's absolutely nothing that beats having that third pedal and the stick
under you left hand !.
:thumb:

nick w said:
It's a brilliant car with a sublime gear change, great handling and balance and
the fun factor is up there alongside a GT3. I can say quite categorically that
into and through corners it carries just as much speed as a 3'..and with minor
fettling it's a whole lot easier to trail brake into them too. My only gripe...and
this purely for the track driver, is the silly tall gearing, and the engine lacks a
bit of top end grunt, another 40 ponies would sort that out.

However, if you're looking for what's going to put a big smile on your face, and
you need two boots, and most importantly, something you can throw around
the corners, it's genuinely off the scale. And like owning a 996/997 GT3,
there's absolutely nothing that beats having that third pedal and the stick
under you left hand !.
:thumb:

I agree entirely with Nick's statement , I think you have to live with one for a while to really appreciate the dynamics of the GT4.

I think that the gearing could be found by some in their individual circumstances to be tall.... personally on the roads I have been driving on , near my home here, I don't often find myself in a gear to talk for the situation....

I believe that the GT4 is a perfectly usable car for everyday , maybe not quite as suited to the DD as a GTS but not a million miles off the mark ...

Values are all notional anyway , , I bought the car for a price I was prepared to part with , it's my cost of enjoyment ...

I had an Audi ur Quattro many years back which was a lemon and cost me an absolute fortune to keep on the road so the GT4 is a joy to own

I believe it handles every bit as well as the 2 GT3's i have owned and far better than 911's I have owned.

And let's remember that it's a great car but it's not been built in the same vein as the GT3. .....

Is a GT3 worth 40 k more ? ...... in pure driving terms .... as an owner and past owner of both ... I feel qualified to state... ' I don't believe so ' but I would still buy a GT3 if I could get on the Dealer principals good boy list !!

Here a bit of video of Me and Nick W playing at Estoril the other week. The 3 and 4 work in different ways the 3 has more grunt and the 4 is more nimble in the tight corners. You can see why Porsche didn't allow the Cayman to have the full beans engine, shame.

Cunno said:
Here a bit of video of Me and Nick W playing at Estoril the other week. The 3 and 4 work in different ways the 3 has more grunt and the 4 is more nimble in the tight corners. You can see why Porsche didn't allow the Cayman to have the full beans engine, shame.

Nice bit of editing Jon !. I should just mention that Jon's 3' has the benefit of
a 3.8 conversion, motons and lower gearing, and a wicked exhaust system !

In other words...it's effing quick !, and a standard GT4 is a bit slow in
comparison. I did have the pleasure of driving a heavily modified GT4 at
Portimao, which had different headers, an ecru remap, and most importantly
lower gearing (Guards gearbox). The car also had more aero (deeper front
splitter and rear wing height extensions). In a word....'wow' !....significantly
faster and the extra aero was quite noticeable too. The gearing was just
perfect too....I WANT ONE !

nick w said:
Cunno said:

Nice bit of editing Jon !. I should just mention that Jon's 3' has the benefit of

splitter and rear wing height extensions). In a word....'wow' !....significantly

What a great video :thumb:

That Caterham looked bloody quick too!

Nick do you not track the RS's anymore, are they semi-retired now?

You pay your money and take your choice. Both great cars...slightly different...we are a broad church.

I think Im with Nick W overall :thumb:

I was lucky enough to spend a day as passenger in a friends GT4 and was blown away by how much fun you could have.
The GT4 felt smaller than my GT3 so even easier to place on twisty French roads - more go kart like to simply chuck it into corners and smile. Anyway, loved it.. think the GT4 makes a great fun fast-road car rather than a track car. Quite want one :puh:

Roro said:
nick w said:
Cunno said:

What a great video :thumb:

That Caterham looked bloody quick too!

Nick do you not track the RS's anymore, are they semi-retired now?

The 991 RS has now departed. I took the view that to continue to track it in
Europe was going to be prohibitive with Mannings, as the European track day
cover was £500 a day....and a real killer. Also, tbh, it had a couple of trips to
the Ring, and it got well used at the Slovakia Ring, Brno and the Hungaroring
so I ticked that Euro track 'box'. I got out of it at the right time, and my
feeling was that clearly the new 4L engine was going to be a major step up in
design and feel...so my instincts were telling me to move it on, a bit sad, but
there you are !.

My old, cherished Gen 2 RS hasn't been tracked since it's last trip out in April
2016. I've just very recently renewed the warranty for another two years and
i'm embarrassed to say that it's done very few miles over the last 15 months.
I'm loath to sell it, so yeah, it's semi retired...but it's most definitely fully
retired from track duty, that was the main reason for buying the GT4. With a
bit of luck the next GT4 will surface next autumn....and hopefully I'll get the
nod.

nick w said:
The 991 RS has now departed.

Looks like the second owner has moved it on without driving it much.

Available at Tonbridge OPC for £209,895

T8 said:
nick w said:
The 991 RS has now departed.

Looks like the second owner has moved it on without driving it much.

Available at Tonbridge OPC for £209,895

It's done another 420 miles since I gave it back !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back