Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tandem pump cover swap - minor detail

Nik said:
Sorry for the ignorant question but is this tandem pump cover an issue for 997.1 as well as 997.2 ?

Also, the ACP cover seems a little pricey at £175?

Hi Nik,
In all honesty, I am not sure what set-up the DFI engine (.2) has with regards to the Pump. I can however tell you that .1 and .1T both have the Pierburg pump with poor quality cover that will rust through in time and should be monitored often and closely. Original replacement Pierburg covers are not available so it's either a new pump or something like this ACP option which is half the price of a new pump.
Regards,

symoonbeam said:
The tandem pump provides vacuum pressure to assist the brake and (I think) clutch circuits so you will find that you have a very hard brake pedal and that it doesn't actually apply the brakes to any degree!!

Also provides vacuum for the hemholz resonator in the airbox and PSE switchover (if you have this option).

Scholester said:
Nik said:
Sorry for the ignorant question but is this tandem pump cover an issue for 997.1 as well as 997.2 ?

Hi Nik,
In all honesty, I am not sure what set-up the DFI engine (.2) has with regards to the Pump. I can however tell you that .1 and .1T both have the Pierburg pump with poor quality cover that will rust through in time and should be monitored often and closely. Original replacement Pierburg covers are not available so it's either a new pump or something like this ACP option which is half the price of a new pump.
Regards,

Worth noting that Autodoc sell the Pierburg pump at much less than Porsche, around £250, they are always having sales too, this week it was 17% off everything!!

I read a lot about the various covers available for the standard pump and there are very mixed reports, some ok and some not. The cover itself is a bearing surface for the blade, so any inaccuracy here is going to be a problem, particularly as the internals will have bedded in and worn to the old cover!

Scholester said:
Hi Nik,
Regards,

Many thanks. Will do some more digging to see if I have the same on the 997.2.

I was just thinking that £175 is a lost for a cover, when the new pump can be bought for £230 as mentioned above.

DucatiRob said:
Scholester said:
Nik said:

Hi Nik,
Regards,

Worth noting that Autodoc sell the Pierburg pump at much less than Porsche, around £250, they are always having sales too, this week it was 17% off everything!!

I read a lot about the various covers available for the standard pump and there are very mixed reports, some ok and some not. The cover itself is a bearing surface for the blade, so any inaccuracy here is going to be a problem, particularly as the internals will have bedded in and worn to the old cover!
The original cover looks like a cheap pressed piece of mild steel to me so not sure that the milled ACP cover can offer less in the way of tolerances. The ACP comes with QC certification so here's hoping!

No need to cover if you just spray the OE tin can casing with ACF 50 once every couple of years. Takes 15 secs and about 20p a treatment ;)

Just to update this older thread.

ACP cover was fitted and the correct vacumm must have been achieved as everything works as it should.
I would definitely go down this route again and only replace a pump if knackered - not just for a new cover.

Thefinn said:
Does anyone know the bolt sizes as I have my APC cover that will be going on my new car but the bolts went with the old car so I need to replace them?

Yep, I have kept my old ones so will do you a measure in the morning :wink:

Thefinn said:
Thanks. I might go titanium seeing as I need to replace them

:yes:

On one of these threads i saw someone asking about 997.2 tandem pump designs/shapes.

997.2's only have a vacuum pump, That's around £113 from Porsche. It does get corroded like the tandem oil pump on the 997.1 and will have the same effects if it starts to corrode through. I.E brake pressure being lower/non existent!

I've just changed mine for preventative maintenance, Was easy and cheap enough. If the other one had done nearly 10 years on the car, I'm sure this one will make another 10, especially as i don't drive it in winter.

neil_911 said:
On one of these threads i saw someone asking about 997.2 tandem pump designs/shapes.

997.2's only have a vacuum pump, That's around £113 from Porsche. It does get corroded like the tandem oil pump on the 997.1 and will have the same effects if it starts to corrode through. I.E brake pressure being lower/non existent!

I've just changed mine for preventative maintenance, Was easy and cheap enough. If the other one had done nearly 10 years on the car, I'm sure this one will make another 10, especially as i don't drive it in winter.

I hadnt realised they were so cheap for the gen2 , thats now on my list to do as a preventative measure.
thanks Neil for the heads up :thumb: :thumb:

Hi all, digging up an old thread here!!

Wanna ask for you guys who knows, what is approx the life expectancy of a Tandem Pump?

Also when it starts to fail how would i know i.e. would the brakes just give way like i wont be able to stop?

Cheers

J

Mines tatty looking and is 10 years old. As I reverse my car into my garage, I rarely see the back of it. I'll have to have a look and see what state it's in. But no evidence of leaks on the floor.
Sorry, got to run, I've got Jinx at the door paying me a visit. :grin:
The only leak I have on either car is a headlamp washer leak on the Audi. No oil stains anywhere.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back