Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

high miler turbo

stokie1

Hi All

What are the thoughts on these - prices seem OK - I know the engine doesn't score etc but how good are they beyond say 80k miles

Any experiences?

This would be for a weekend fun/tinker and improve car - so very limited use

thoughts and advice appreciated

After recently taking apart a turbo engine (997.1) with 65,000 miles on it, 10,000 of that at high hp, internally it was fine. No bent rods, cam wear or anything to be concerned about.

At that mileage I would be looking for a good service record.

Possible things that may be an issue are;

Suspension bushings etc

Coolant leaks and coolant elbows (not as expensive as everyone makes it out to be)

Camshaft spinning

Check the ecu for faults and signs of abuse. At the right price I wouldn't be concerned with 80k.

As a weekend toy that would not worry me..

If you bought a BMW or Merc with 80k on the clock you wouldn't blink an eye.
I had loads of BMWs with 80k-100k on the clock.
Then did another 100k on top as well as driving it like I stole it.

Get a 997.1 with 60k on the clock and your thinking of a engine rebuild in 20k time. NOT GOOD IS IT MR PORSCHE.

I hope 997.1 turbos are better ,Just bought one .

:damn:

:?:

I clicked on this thread expecting to see someone asking about a 250k + mile car. 80k miles, are you kidding me? Thats only just getting run in!

Engine internals will be fine long past that - plenty of threads from the Yankees about 200 - 500k mile turbos with absolutely no wear on their internals when opened up, especially on standard engines.

Bonded coolant pipes will let go, thats an engine out job to fix.

Other than that and you're looking at the usual running gear wear and tear items.

ragpicker said:
I clicked on this thread expecting to see someone asking about a 250k + mile car. 80k miles, are you kidding me? Thats only just getting run in!

:yeah:

:thumb:

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone politely asking for advice before spending £40K-£45K on a car with an engine that could well cost the same amount to replace. A 997 turbo owner on here had to replace his engine (which was stock and under Porsche warranty at the time) after it seized on the motorway so it does happen. There are many more trivial threads on here and they don't get these sorts of comments.

As others have said mileage isn't a problem at all. What you do need to account for is age related things as mentioned above such as suspension and radiators. Good service history is key. The best part about having a high mileage car is that you will not mind adding miles and therefore potentially will enjoy it even more being able to drive it as much as possible. :thumbs: Also 80k isn't high mileage at all

My Indy services a 997.1 turbo that must be on c140k miles now. Used as a daily and no real issues with it.

It does hovever have PCCB so my thoughts would be on when these need replacing as they aint cheap :what: However I am told for purely road use 200k on original PCCB is easily obtained.

Hi folks

Thanks for the comments

I've already had 3 997,s so underTand the general stuff - you have given me some confidence Aberdeen it the big stuff - engine and box

Only want a manual

If anyone has one pls pm me

Thanks

Mighty potter

I have a friend with a 120k miles 996 turbo. Never had any engine problems.

So if I'm reading this right we are talking about the Mezger, which is one of the best, most over engineered legendary lumps in the business.

80+K is a walk in the park if serviced correctly.

DFI - not so sure, no where near as proven and race bread as the Mezger.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back