Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My tail light fell out!!!!!

peterzoom

Spa-Francorchamps
Fortunately for me it happened as I pulled into my driveway and I heard an odd clunking noise.
On inspection there appears to be a nut and a plastic mounting that have sheared off, some evidence of a previous Araldite repair too.

I see online in the States there is a product called Light Savers.
Has anyone used these?
Any U.K. sources?
Any advice?

Thanks in advance

there's a chap called Neil Bullett Belton in the 996 facebook group that's just fitted these "light savers" to his UK Turbo.
Worth asking him where he got them from? :thumb:

I bought some light savers a year ago. They are decent but depends how broken your lights are. I bought mine from rennfix in America. He sells them on ebay. if you youtube lightsavers you can see what they are.

Thanks for all the tips and links everyone.
Mine is a narrow body and it is the 10mm captive bolt area that appears to have broken away.
Going to have a proper look at it tomorrow, but initially my thoughts are that the Light Saver is not going to work on this model. The wide body has two screws as opposed to one nut/bolt combo.
So might have to get creative and use my motorcycle fairing repair skills or perhaps buy a new unit.
Tomorrow will tell! Wish me luck

Just popped the rear light unit back in after effecting a repair.

On inspection the captive nut and the plastic that captivates it had separated. It had clearly been repaired previously with copious amounts of Araldite or similar.

I scraped and cleared all that would come off from the remaining plastic and there was frighteningly little plastic left.
I located the nut and the remaining plastic with a couple of tacks of Super glue, using some Blu Tack and a cocktail stick through the centre of the nut to give a clear centre line and allow me to hold it square until the glue set.

Next I used a soldering iron and a tie wrap to build up some material about the shoulders of the nut and onto the body of the light unit. I gradually built up several layers of plastic by melting the tie wrap onto the area until it looked securely located.

I picked out the Blu Tack once everything had cooled and trail fitted the retaining bolt to check how secure it felt. All seemed solid, so back over to the car.

Quick clean up of the recess where the unit sits and back in with the repaired light. A few tweaks to the locating bracket to get the perfect fit and it looks and feels fine.
A road test to see if it all holds together, any excuse for a drive!
All good, phew

:thumb:

Now to see if this repair is going to last any decent length of time.
I will update if it falls apart, but otherwise, no news is great news.

Good work! Fingers crossed it lasts. Plastic weld is surprisingly strong, so no reason why it shouldn't eh. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back