Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust shims for the tailpipes, Anyone Interested UPDATE

Phil 997

I have been asked a question about interest in the pr of shims that fit between the tail pipes and the end of the exhaust . They have a habit of breaking up usually into 3 pieces . A guy I know who is involved with an engineering fabricator has just made a set up for a customer who could not source them anywhere including going to Dansk which is the only place I knew of that had them in the past.
I am told they are a match for the original in steel.
Is any one interested, if they are he will make up a batch to sell to forum members.
I have seen posts in the past from guys asking where to get them from and I know you cannot buy them separately from Porsche they only come with new tips.
I will be interested in hearing your thoughts
:thumb:

Note, I have nothing or no interests with the fabricator and am only gauging interest to assist any members who are searching for these items. :thumb:

Very surprised there is not more interest for these, there have been several threads on here about trying to source the olives.

I'd be interested in a set Phil, are they in stainless steel? If they could be machined from a suitably sized stainless tube they could be spat out at a reasonable cost, if they have to be machined from solid might be expensive!

Yep, i'm interested as mine were defo showing small cracks last time i had them off.

DucatiRob said:
Very surprised there is not more interest for these, there have been several threads on here about trying to source the olives.

I'd be interested in a set Phil, are they in stainless steel? If they could be machined from a suitably sized stainless tube they could be spat out at a reasonable cost, if they have to be machined from solid might be expensive!

Rob he was talking about doing them in steel like the OE ,I am not sure if Stainless is an option but will ask . :thumb: I agree I am surprised and expected more interest as they are going to be breaking up on lots of cars .
he was talking about a price of £35 does that sound reasonable .

£35 sounds good to me Phil. Will he be able to include the grooves or "splines" around the outside?

£35 is not too bad, they would be pennies if they ran a good size batch, but that would need to be hundreds and hundreds.

Phil - this is a great find. About 6 months ago I had to buy some second hand tail pipes just for the shims!

As a note to owners that don't think they need them... YET! If you ever intend on taking off your tail pipes for a darn good clean, then I recommend you have a pair of shims ready. When i asked my indy if he had any spares knocking around (when i removed my tail pipes), he said that almost every gen 1 shim is in 2 to 3 pieces once removed - so any spares would have long gone!

In fact, on this basis, a small batch should be dispatched to every indy :grin:

Rob325114 said:
Phil - this is a great find. About 6 months ago I had to buy some second hand tail pipes just for the shims!

As a note to owners that don't think they need them... YET! If you ever intend on taking off your tail pipes for a darn good clean, then I recommend you have a pair of shims ready. When i asked my indy if he had any spares knocking around (when i removed my tail pipes), he said that almost every gen 1 shim is in 2 to 3 pieces once removed - so any spares would have long gone!

In fact, on this basis, a small batch should be dispatched to every indy :grin:

Thanks Rob , thats an interesting idea , I will ask my friend to call a few indys and see what they say. :thumb:

He is going to make up a few so I can post some pics and see what you think.
I was not sure on the price of £35 each :dont know: :?: is that a bit pricey or ok what do you guys think :?: difficult one as they are not available anywhere so I can judge that price . I guess the bigger the batch he makes the cheaper they get,but for a small batch run I suppose he's going to incur extra costs and it has to be worth his time to manufacture them. There is no extra vat on that price.

Great work Phill! Surely every Indy would take a batch of say 10 at about £25 each giving the Indy some profit.

silvermilnec said:
Great work Phill! Surely every Indy would take a batch of say 10 at about £25 each giving the Indy some profit.

I have suggested that to him and hes going to make some calls :thumb: it he can get a decent number hopefully that will improve the cost . :grin:

great news Phil, and very timely post for me, i would certainly be interested in a set to fit on the PSE GEN 2 exhaust as fitted to my GTS.

i recently removed my tips which i have to say are in a terrible state and one of the olives broke in two as i removed the tip. i'm still needing to sort the tips out and actually looking to get them rechromed they are that bad!

i will certainly need to find a solution come refitting time for my broken Olive. i think the price in the region of £30 is fair given the lack of availability. what would be the expect timescales?

thanks!

Looks like the first samples will be ready in the next few days , they are going to be made of Stainless Steel from what I am told so that will be an improvement on the original OE ones. I will be helping the manufacturer trial fit them so he can be sure everything is perfect before he manufactures a batch for sale. I will post pics as soon as I have got a pr and keep you posted on availability timings. but they are aware a few of you are waiting for them. :thumb:

basilbrush said:
great news Phil, and very timely post for me, i would certainly be interested in a set to fit on the PSE GEN 2 exhaust as fitted to my GTS.

i recently removed my tips which i have to say are in a terrible state and one of the olives broke in two as i removed the tip. i'm still needing to sort the tips out and actually looking to get them rechromed they are that bad!

i will certainly need to find a solution come refitting time for my broken Olive. i think the price in the region of £30 is fair given the lack of availability. what would be the expect timescales?

thanks!

Tony, I will also get a trial fit of them to a gen2 with PSE and without PSE so he knows which models they fit and if he needs to tweak them at all . :thumb:

Excellent cheers Phil :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back