Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Formula E - Thoughts

I'd have thought there must be a thread elsewhere (sorry Terry...) but is no one else going to comment on Porsche dumping LMP1 for Formula E?

Electric - gotta be the future. Bring it on!

Tobesetc said:
I'd have thought there must be a thread elsewhere (sorry Terry...) but is no one else going to comment on Porsche dumping LMP1 for Formula E?

No prob's Toby. The discussion thread was/is tucked away in the 'Porsche Chatter' sub-forum.

Here => http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122250&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

It was interesting to hear the CEO of Ferrari saying yesterday that they (FIAT group) are seriously considering entering the e-car fray and may run under the Alfa Romeo banner.

Personally, if top flight single-seater racing ever becomes electric I'll stick to watching 'historics'.

Mercedes recently announced they will be joining Formula E after quitting the DTM series. With the UK and France banning sales of diesel and electric cars in (many) years to come, I think this new race series has a future.

~ Maxie

Tobesetc said:

big manufacturer interest, including Porsche, is the biggest indication that they need the racing to advance the technology now it's clear there will be no new combustion engine car sale after 2040. Porsche will be back where they started, racing electric cars, just took a century of an inferior technology. Gonna have to let go of the internal combustion motor, will seem anachronistic is 50 years, and the real change will start now, probably in formula E.

With Porsche and Mercedes joining, as well as Audi having an official team, it does look like FE is gaining some momentum. It's looking less like a failed experiment, and more like a series that's here for the forseable future.

Having also watched one of the Berlin Races and the last two in Canada, it's also starting to provide some better racing as the circuits improve and provide some close racing, similar in some ways to BTCC - and at least cars can overtake..

If there is a more sensible schedule next year, I can see myself watching a bit more.

Graemep said:
With Porsche and Mercedes joining, as well as Audi having an official team, it does look like FE is gaining some momentum. It's looking less like a failed experiment, and more like a series that's here for the forseable future.

Alternatively though - the sheer amount of manufacturers pouring into Formula E could be more like the sword of Damocles hanging over its head. Until now it has been a comparatively cheap (by World Championship motorsports standards) series with a low barrier of entry for manufacturers to build mindshare in electric and hybrid products. Within 2 years it will have Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Renault, Citroen, Jaguar and Porsche all piling as much spending as they can plough into it in order to win.

It isn't exactly fanciful to imagine that costs will head into the stratosphere and brands will start bailing out as they start to do ROI calculations about 8 figure investment to reach a limited audience and not be able to have victories to shout about. There are going to simply be too many brands for them all to share the glory, and by the time that it gets down to the last few marques it could potentially implode under its own cost base.

If I were running any other car company and heard that all of the big spending German heavy hitters were coming into Formula E, frankly I would be looking for any other form of motorsport to compete in. Squaring up against Peugeot, Mini and Toyota in the Dakar might actually make much more sense. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back