Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox mount renewal

Thanks Alex, I wonder why design 911 show 2 different size mounts for the box.

I noticed Harv had a thread regarding the engine mounts, I think I'll go down the same route, I was just a little unsure what to get for the gearbox mount.

As mentioned in one of the posts above, my gear selection isn't brilliant but does seem better as things heat up, I thought this was the norm.

The MOT tester is my mate, I asked him to go over everything when it was on the shaker plates with a fine tooth comb, he could find absolutely nothing with any of the bushing etc, no knocks or play that he could see the only things he did pick up on was the rear engine mounts and he said the gearbox mount was needing replaced as it was split.

they're different for auto and manual box.

Still don't believe he knew the gearbox mount is split unless he took your box off or the carrier holding it on.

I'll speak to him and see what he says tomorrow, he said he had a lever in somewhere and reckoned the mount was split, I wonder if he's found something else and not the gearbox mount as he said it would be easy to change and the gearbox mount is clearly anything but easy.

He's nothing to gain out of it as he wouldn't be getting the work and he know that

alex yates said:
He's done a write up on it on his to list thread. They wont wiggle out as the centre part of the outer 'ears is clamped between the original bush and the carrier.

OK, I found the thread but pics have gone to the Photobucket graveyard,
Just to double check it appears that to reduce NVH it seems like a good idea to cut down the 2 outer plates to the same size as the Outer diameter of the gearbox mount bush to reduce stiffness/vibration transfer and also (not sure here) cut off the top finger part of the insert but still fit it OR cut the webbing section in between the 2 outer parts of the top finger?

911munKy said:
Just to double check it appears that to reduce NVH it seems like a good idea to cut down the 2 outer plates to the same size as the Outer diameter of the gearbox mount bush to reduce stiffness/vibration transfer and also (not sure here) cut off the top finger part of the insert but still fit it OR cut the webbing section in between the 2 outer parts of the top finger?

Cut the flat webbing section on the top finger to just leave the round outer parts.

:thumb:

Can anyone post a picture of what should be cut with the poly inserts, I'm not sure what I should be cutting if I try the inserts

Locosaki said:
Can anyone post a picture of what should be cut with the poly inserts, I'm not sure what I should be cutting if I try the inserts

infrasilver's the man.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back