Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thank heavens for a Porsche Warranty

T8 said:
T8 said:
If I didn't recoup all of this years premium with my air-con compressor replacement I'm pretty sure that an engine drop to sort out an oil leak from the top of the engine did. :D

When on the ramps having a free 'health check' during the compressor replacement the technician identified a misty weep. It wasn't dripping and without being on a ramp it wasn't visible.

I had 2 weeks/750+ miles in a nearly new Macan Diesel S and then a week/200 miles in a nearly new Cayenne whilst they sorted it.

Since the last update I've had a copy of the invoice for the work done. If I'd have been paying the bill I'd have needed to find nearly £3k.

Included in that was nearly £400 for a new power steering reservoir that was also seen to be leaking whilst they were working under the car.

When I bought the car these warranties were only available until the car was 10 years old. Needless to say I'm really pleased that this was extended to 15 and when my current one expires in 12 months time I'll definitely be renewing it.

Good stuff!

I've had some air con work done and new PCM fitted under warranty - am 8 months into the new 2 year that I added last May - I think the OPC cost would be around £2.5k plus hire cars etc....

So glad that I got one too.

I remember the advice I got on here and your experience in particular Terry...
so thank you.

Well you've talked me out of a 997 Turbo.

Obviously a liability on wheels.

PM me if you need shot :thumb:

or email direct:

[email protected]

GT4 said:
Well you've talked me out of a 997 Turbo.

Obviously a liability on wheels.

PM me if you need shot :thumb:

or email direct:

[email protected]

Fear not, had my car 20 months and it's cost me nothing but petrol :)

That's OK, T8 pretends he likes filling it up, but in reality, he is just data generating for his database.

JohnnyDangerous said:
The box is a mercedes box, ANY trans guy who builds merc boxes will have the gasket, Porsche are a joke saying the box needs changing, its an easy fix and normally caused by a worn gearbox mount, so if they havent changed that the problem will come back one day.

A very interesting prophecy JD.

I took the car in last week after I found a tiny pool of fresh oil on my garage floor.

I've just had the phone call to say another new box is on order. :eek:

That's 14 months and only 9,327 miles since the last new one was fitted.

Bloody Nora, what a pain. Keystone Cops springs to mind.

Surely they have service bulletins to follow....

T8 said:

Shocking news. :nooo:

Really does show the value of an OPC extended warranty, but does make you wonder if the root cause is within the gearbox itself, or caused by some other system on the car.

T8 said:
I took the car in last week after I found a tiny pool of fresh oil on my garage floor.

A belated update from March.

Another new gearbox and 9.5 hours labour = Another bill that would have cost me c£12k if the car wasn't under warranty.

Wow ........ have been a bit unlucky with this car Terry or is it the norm for 997 Turbo ....... I find that a bit frightening ........

T8 said:
T8 said:

A belated update from March.

Another new gearbox and 9.5 hours labour = Another bill that would have cost me c£12k if the car wasn't under warranty.

Thank heavens for the Porsche Warranty indeed. But should we not be questioning the Tip gearbox at this point? Why yours and not others?

BTW I think i saw you on saturday Terry but was mid chatter and when i was free you had gone. Hope you enjoyed the day/weekend.

In response to Madalaa.

T8 said:
apollokre1d said:
Do you think you bought a dud?

I ask because I bought mine in June and the only thing its cost me is petrol.

I don't think so.

When I bought the car it had full OPC History, had just been given it's big 8 year/major service and all the items needed to pass the 111 point check and get a warranty had been done.

Straight after the purchase I took it to my favoured Indy for a once over and it was given a massive :thumb: .

If I'd just run it the only thing that would have come up would have been the recent 'engine warning - drive to workshop' light which would have caused me to have the battery earth strap replaced.

The spoiler malfunction was very intermittent - one drive in seven - and always worked again after the ignition had been turned off.

Many owners don't have their car inspected on ramps from one service to the next, except for MOTs, but by having mine up twice in 8 months the technicians have seen things that I never would have. Neither the gearbox or the oil pump were dripping oil and both were working perfectly well.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are hundreds of 911s currently running around between their service dates and needing things doing like mine has had done.

T8 said:
In response to Madalaa.

T8 said:
apollokre1d said:
Do you think you bought a dud?

I ask because I bought mine in June and the only thing its cost me is petrol.

I don't think so.

When I bought the car it had full OPC History, had just been given it's big 8 year/major service and all the items needed to pass the 111 point check and get a warranty had been done.

Straight after the purchase I took it to my favoured Indy for a once over and it was given a massive :thumb: .

If I'd just run it the only thing that would have come up would have been the recent 'engine warning - drive to workshop' light which would have caused me to have the battery earth strap replaced.

The spoiler malfunction was very intermittent - one drive in seven - and always worked again after the ignition had been turned off.

Many owners don't have their car inspected on ramps from one service to the next, except for MOTs, but by having mine up twice in 8 months the technicians have seen things that I never would have. Neither the gearbox or the oil pump were dripping oil and both were working perfectly well.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are hundreds of 911s currently running around between their service dates and needing things doing like mine has had done.

Very good points Terry. There may also be a bit of 'revenue generation' by the dealer who knows he can ride on the warranty.

I have a pal who is in charge of warranties for VW/Audi. His job is to make sure that the dealers DO claim on warranties. It improves customer service and retention and it drives business for warranty extensions.

Given that it's just cost in region of £3k to replace just 1st & 2nd gears & synchros on my old manual C4s. (plus more £ for clutch, flywheel,slave cylinder..)... The OPC warranty is indeed a good thing

Did you see my post about auxiliary belt snapping on the GTS last week !? Took out the air con compressor as well :frustrated: fortunately replaced under warranty

As previously mentioned, it is a Mercedes 722.6 transmission.

If you ever have any issues with it just google it as that.

The box itself is pretty bullet proof, running stock power the only problems you may find are a few fixable known leaks and slight play in the differential. Unless you are very unlucky...

I have flushed mine and changed solenoids a few times with ease and it is only starting to slip now after 2 years at big power.

For under £6k you can have the whole thing rebuilt with additional clutches, new gaskets and an upgraded valve body which will hold 1500whp and many many launches. It will also shift much much faster.

Update: 31st May 2018.

No further claims in 2017-2018 but I didn't hesitate to renew again in February.

Everyone to their own but for me spending £2k for 2 years / 12k miles peace of mind is worth it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back