Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Top 5-10 997 Mods for £100-£2,000???

rob_p said:
Great idea for a thread - well done that man!

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish
PCM swap out - varies but £500 to £1,000
Red seat belts - £200 if DIY on taking belts out
Centre console paint or carbon dip - £100-£200
Rear console lid from designLS - £150
GT3 smile vent - £100 if DIY

Look forward to following this one.....

RED seat belts.... :thumb: Ive already looked at them on Ebay, with the red S and Red callis i think they would look great. I am a ZERO DIY man so do you know A) where the best place to get em is and B) who would fir em - local Indy?

PCM swap - i will do it at some but for now I've just got a £10 Doosl FM transmitter which is really Great for very clear Bluetooth tunes to the radio.

Cheers,

Dan.

Only had the car 8 weeks and been away for 5 of those but my list is-

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Wheel spacers - £100 (bought (thanks Phil 997))
Techart lowering springs - £350
Mesh front grills - £20
Transit Blu - £100 (bought)
Spray centre console to black - £20
LED rears - Hopefully £250 if I can find some second hand.
Alcantara Steering wheel(thicker rim) £340
Alcantara Handbrake handle+ small piece of trim behind it £70
Alcantara Gear lever+ boot £110
Alcantara Door card main inserts £400
Alcantara Door card pull handles+bin tops+small piece in between £550
Alcantara Console lid £180
Alcantara Lower dash £360

All up - £3,005 :eek:

The re-trim bits will be done later as new tyres, IMS upgrade (and clutch as it makes sense) and service will come first.

AslanC2S said:

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Mesh front grills - £20

The re-trim bits will be done later as new tyres, IMS upgrade (and clutch as it makes sense) and service will come first.

Wow you seem to get stuff Super cheap? The Hack is costing me £300 from the same guy that seems to do everyones. £90 - are you doing it yourself???
Likewise the spacers are costing me £55 a corner so £220 all in as needs longer bolts....and thats 100 cheaper than anywhere else i got quoted.
Mesh front grills - I've seen for £120ish on ebay - but £20 - what is it, chicken wire :dont know: ???

Dan

911DG said:
AslanC2S said:

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Mesh front grills - £20

Wow you seem to get stuff Super cheap? The Hack is costing me £300 from the same guy that seems to do everyones. £90 - are you doing it yourself???
Likewise the spacers are costing me £55 a corner so £220 all in as needs longer bolts....and thats 100 cheaper than anywhere else i got quoted.
Mesh front grills - I've seen for £120ish on ebay - but £20 - what is it, chicken wire :dont know: ???

Dan

I had a quote from a local fabricators to supply and fit the hack with me removing and re-fitting the mufflers for £100. I've now found a bit of 1.5" pipe so will cut and shape the pipe myself so all they will have to do is cut the hole and weld it in.

Bought the spacers secondhand from Phil 997.

I'll mesh the front myself with mesh bought off ebay. Did it on my last Supra and looked great. Nice and slick with no surround around the mesh as it sits flush along the back.

Things like the lowering springs etc I'll fit myself.

911DG said:
Phil 997 said:
Gummi Pflege FOR YOUR WINDOW RUBBERS IN THE WINTER TO STOP THE GLASS STICKING TO THEM

CHANGE OIL TO MILLERS NANO 10W50

COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT WITH BMC FILTER

LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion, DO THE WHOLE UNDERSIDE , ITS LIKE A MODERN OPTION TO WAXOYLE AND WILL PROTECT ALL YOUR PIPES AND BITS HELPS REDUCE CORROSION .(keep it away from your brake discs though )

Those are probably my top 5 for all owners whether you mod or like stock.

The other things are all very much personal taste and I could give you a list of 50 things to do :floor: from 4" underdrive pulley and IPD throttlebody and plenum to 200cell cats performance wise
and carbon dipped scuttle to full aerokit body wise .
and a long list in between :floor: but I would need written permission for you to spend 10k from your wife before getting into that :floor: :floor:
but looking forward to seeing others thoughts and what a great idea for a thread. :grin: :thumb:

Note I havent even mentioned acid green accents in this post :grin: :thumb:

:floor: LOL - Man i've had 911s for 13 or 14 years and ive never even heard or thought of your Top 5 - WTF???? I bow to your knowledge :worship:

Gummi what? to stop the windows sticking?
Change the Oil? From Mobile 1 (if thats what they still use - no idea, i just give the car to em and say 'due for an oil change?) what does Millers Nano do????
Cold Air induction kit with BMC Filters and a Low Temp Thermostat? You're gonna have to explain both of those too Im afraid??? :dont know:
HOWEVER - i am intrigued but all so please do tell.....

I wont even get started on the rest - IPD Throttlebody -????? :what:

Ha ha ha good stuff.

Cheers

Dan

:floor: :floor: Dan, OK a bit more detail from me.

Gummi Pflege is a stick of product avail from ebay , amazon etc. its a roll on and you add a coating around you door rubbers this stops the rubber sticking to the metal and glass on icey days the glass is the worst as it has to drop to open the door and when frozen the motor goes berserk and the glass wont go back up to drive away.

Millers Nano oil 10w50 is the oil advised by Hartech Its a thicker viscosity and helps reduce wear in the flat6 engine thats not very good at retaining oil so when you start the car cold your getting metal on metal with no lube Millers helps reduce this and it also circulates better to lube the parts of the engine that are notorious for suffering oil starvation especially number 4 and 6 which are the most common ones that suffer scoring on the few cars that this happens to but its a good preventative measure to try and ensure yours doesn't become one of the unlucky ones. .

cold air induction kit this is avail from design 911 and others its a smooth silicon pipe that goes between your throttle body and air box replacing the strange corrugated plastic one it comes with a resonator cap this and a bmc sports filter will massively change the way your car breathes if you listen to it its sort of a bit muffled and wheezy do this mod and it sounds some much healthier and adds a few BHP DUE TO MORE COLD AIR IN GIVES MORE BHP.

Low temp theromostat very cheap mod and is designed to protect and add longevity to the engine again recommended by Hartech for these cars.

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion in the old days to protect a cars underside and cables from premature corrosion the cars were waxoyled this did the job but was very messy and if you needed to get at the parts ever was a pain to clean off etc. Bikers were the first to identify ACF50 to help protect their bikes from corrosion as they couldnt really smother them in waxoyle. and it fed down into the car enthusiast market . its a cleaner more modern way to reduce premature corrosion under your car .

Hope those explanations help :grin: :thumb:
I would suggest that all 996 and 997.1 owners did those 5 things as a matter of course.

If you would like me to go into more detail re IPD 82mm throttle bodies and plenums, remaps , 4" underdrive pulleys , 200 cell cats xpipes, valved exhausts etc etc I can but there is quite a lot on the internet and this forum about the benefits of these and only needed if your chasing the locked up power in your engine. There are a number of little things Porsche do to restrict these engine to stop them getting to close to the flagship models some of this restricted power can be quite easily released if you want it to be .Some do and some are happy with the power thats there.

:grin: :thumb: :thumb: DAN LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A BIT MORE INFO ON ANY OF THESE MENTIONED :thumb:

911DG said:
rob_p said:

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish

RED seat belts.... :thumb: Ive already looked at them on Ebay, with the red S and Red callis i think they would look great. I am a ZERO DIY man so do you know A) where the best place to get em is and B) who would fir em - local Indy?

PCM swap - i will do it at some but for now I've just got a £10 Doosl FM transmitter which is really Great for very clear Bluetooth tunes to the radio.

Cheers,

Dan.

Re the seat belts - you have 2 lots of 2 choices.

1 - fronts only or all four? I did all of mine but others have just done the fronts.... (note the rears are much harder/frustrating than the fronts - trim removal etc)
2- DIY or pay someone to do it

DIY is about £50 - you remove, and send off, they come back by return. Service includes a full renovation plus reweb in any colour you choose.
I think the fronts are very straightforward for any half competent diyer.
I used http://www.safetybeltservices.co.uk/index.html. And they were very good.

The second option is quite a bit more but I can't remember how much - I had my boxster done a few years ago. Maybe £250 for a pair? It was a home service so very convenient.
I used http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/ and also very good - just a different offer to above.

Good luck!

AslanC2S said:

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Mesh front grills - £20

That's a good list!!
Any photos of the alcantara and details of who did it and (in particular) what colour it is?
Thanks.

Phil 997 said:
911DG said:
Phil 997 said:
Gummi Pflege FOR YOUR WINDOW RUBBERS IN THE WINTER TO STOP THE GLASS STICKING TO THEM

LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion, DO THE WHOLE UNDERSIDE , ITS LIKE A MODERN OPTION TO WAXOYLE AND WILL PROTECT ALL YOUR PIPES AND BITS HELPS REDUCE CORROSION .(keep it away from your brake discs though )

The other things are all very much personal taste and I could give you a list of 50 things to do :floor: from 4" underdrive pulley and IPD throttlebody and plenum to 200cell cats performance wise
and a long list in between :floor: but I would need written permission for you to spend 10k from your wife before getting into that :floor: :floor:
but looking forward to seeing others thoughts and what a great idea for a thread. :grin: :thumb:

:floor: LOL - Man i've had 911s for 13 or 14 years and ive never even heard or thought of your Top 5 - WTF???? I bow to your knowledge :worship:

Change the Oil? From Mobile 1 (if thats what they still use - no idea, i just give the car to em and say 'due for an oil change?) what does Millers Nano do????
Cold Air induction kit with BMC Filters and a Low Temp Thermostat? You're gonna have to explain both of those too Im afraid??? :dont know:

Ha ha ha good stuff.

Cheers

Dan

Gummi Pflege is a stick of product avail from ebay , amazon etc. its a roll on and you add a coating around you door rubbers this stops the rubber sticking to the metal and glass on icey days the glass is the worst as it has to drop to open the door and when frozen the motor goes berserk and the glass wont go back up to drive away.

Millers Nano oil 10w50 is the oil advised by Hartech Its a thicker viscosity and helps reduce wear in the flat6 engine thats not very good at retaining oil so when you start the car cold your getting metal on metal with no lube Millers helps reduce this and it also circulates better to lube the parts of the engine that are notorious for suffering oil starvation especially number 4 and 6 which are the most common ones that suffer scoring on the few cars that this happens to but its a good preventative measure to try and ensure yours doesn't become one of the unlucky ones. .

cold air induction kit this is avail from design 911 and others its a smooth silicon pipe that goes between your throttle body and air box replacing the strange corrugated plastic one it comes with a resonator cap this and a bmc sports filter will massively change the way your car breathes if you listen to it its sort of a bit muffled and wheezy do this mod and it sounds some much healthier and adds a few BHP DUE TO MORE COLD AIR IN GIVES MORE BHP.

Low temp theromostat very cheap mod and is designed to protect and add longevity to the engine again recommended by Hartech for these cars.

ACF-50 Anti Corrosion in the old days to protect a cars underside and cables from premature corrosion the cars were waxoyled this did the job but was very messy and if you needed to get at the parts ever was a pain to clean off etc. Bikers were the first to identify ACF50 to help protect their bikes from corrosion as they couldnt really smother them in waxoyle. and it fed down into the car enthusiast market . its a cleaner more modern way to reduce premature corrosion under your car .

I would suggest that all 996 and 997.1 owners did those 5 things as a matter of course.

If you would like me to go into more detail re IPD 82mm throttle bodies and plenums, remaps , 4" underdrive pulleys , 200 cell cats xpipes, valved exhausts etc etc I can but there is quite a lot on the internet and this forum about the benefits of these and only needed if your chasing the locked up power in your engine. There are a number of little things Porsche do to restrict these engine to stop them getting to close to the flagship models some of this restricted power can be quite easily released if you want it to be .Some do and some are happy with the power thats there.

:grin: :thumb: :thumb: DAN LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED A BIT MORE INFO ON ANY OF THESE MENTIONED :thumb:

Love this thank you !!! All great stuff and All stuff I would never, and I mean Never have thought of or considered or known about - and probably ALL stuff I will do as soon as she's next in the shop. Man ... would have thought and that's just your Top 5 :grin:

I am also very interested in unlocking as much power as possible. I'm a little restricted in that I'm about as mechanically minded as a cabbage - but that's ok ! :floor: We can get to those bits piece by piece - I've only had her 4 or 5 weeks. Damn she's already Fantatasically quick !!!!
:thumb:

Loving this thread.

Cheers

Dan

rob_p said:
911DG said:
rob_p said:

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish

Cheers,

Dan.

1 - fronts only or all four? I did all of mine but others have just done the fronts.... (note the rears are much harder/frustrating than the fronts - trim removal etc)

DIY is about £50 - you remove, and send off, they come back by return. Service includes a full renovation plus reweb in any colour you choose.

The second option is quite a bit more but I can't remember how much - I had my boxster done a few years ago. Maybe £250 for a pair? It was a home service so very convenient.
I used http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/ and also very good - just a different offer to above.

Good luck!

Magic - thanks very much - I have Zero intention of messing about with them myself but the mobile guys would be perfect and I've already called and left a message :). Front only is fine.
Any pics of yours ????

Cheers

Dan.

AslanC2S said:
911DG said:
AslanC2S said:

Gen 2 key- £20 (done)
Gundo hack - £90
Short shift kit - £45
Mesh front grills - £20

Dan

I had a quote from a local fabricators to supply and fit the hack with me removing and re-fitting the mufflers for £100. I've now found a bit of 1.5" pipe so will cut and shape the pipe myself so all they will have to do is cut the hole and weld it in.

Bought the spacers secondhand from Phil 997.

I'll mesh the front myself with mesh bought off ebay. Did it on my last Supra and looked great. Nice and slick with no surround around the mesh as it sits flush along the back.

Things like the lowering springs etc I'll fit myself.

Ok got ya ! That Explains it. All of those diy options are a no go but that's cool. Once again LOADS of other great ideas too!!!

Cheers

Dan

nigel99 said:
If its a Gen 2 then I'd recommend the Hayward and Scott center silencer bypass. Bargain for £400.

Gen 1 id replace the PCM with an aftermarket unit.

Also, either gen, H&R lowering springs will make a noticeable improvement to the stance, especially with the 15mm spacers.

I love the (lightly) slammed look and 15mm spacers. I made inquiries about it but was told it will compromise handling. Err, so that was the end of that. Open to differing opinions.

Only a couple from me.

New head unit if you have PCM 2.1, which is horrific.

Short Shift Kit, if it's a manual. Bargain ones on ebay are fine and can be done for not much money at all.

911DG said:
rob_p said:
911DG said:
rob_p said:

For me-
Gundo (#1) £250ish

Cheers,

Dan.

Good luck!

Magic - thanks very much - I have Zero intention of messing about with them myself but the mobile guys would be perfect and I've already called and left a message :). Front only is fine.
Any pics of yours ????

Cheers

Dan.

Have a look below at my ownership thread. Also some other bits that might be relevant to this thread....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=87976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Looks like photobucket is still working for me!
:thumbs:

LED interior and number plate lights. Looks so much better.
Zunsport grills to cover the rads and condensers.
Porsche jack and removal studs ( to stop caliper chips)
Ctek charger

911DG said:
Phil 997 said:
911DG said:
Phil 997 said:

LOW TEMP THERMOSTAT

Ha ha ha good stuff.

Cheers

Dan

Love this thank you !!! All great stuff and All stuff I would never, and I mean Never have thought of or considered or known about - and probably ALL stuff I will do as soon as she's next in the shop. Man ... would have thought and that's just your Top 5 :grin:

I am also very interested in unlocking as much power as possible. I'm a little restricted in that I'm about as mechanically minded as a cabbage - but that's ok ! :floor: We can get to those bits piece by piece - I've only had her 4 or 5 weeks. Damn she's already Fantatasically quick !!!!
:thumb:

Loving this thread.

Cheers

Dan

Dan now I know your interested in unlocking some of the beasts inner anger :grin: I will post my thoughts on that in the next day when I have a spare bit of time. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back