Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slow Puncture

Hotpot

Yesterday morning, after having driven to work, I noticed my tyre was noticeably low. I didn't notice a dashboard warning on the way to work despite the pressure being less than 20psi. I reinflated to 39 psi using the Porsche compressor but checked it again this morning after having driven to work. It was down to about 31 psi. Shouldn't I be getting some kind of warning on the dashboard?

Also, checking through the info functions on the onboard computer, I do not have a TPC menu. Yet the dashboard has a symbol for tyre pressure warnings. I'm puzzled.

Also, what are the views on tyre repairs versus replacement? The tyre treads are good and they are only 15 months old.

If you haven't got a TPMS menu your car probably hasn't got TPMS. The fact that you're not getting a warning seems to imply that you haven't.

Mine activated immediately when I had a puncture.

Regarding a repair - It all depends on where the puncture is.

If it's in the centre of the tyre a repair would be no problem at all. Any decent tyre fitter will advise whether a repair is possible.

Good Luck :thumb:

Cheers. I'll keep pumping it up until I can get it sorted midweek.

I had a similar issue, but losing less pressure - about the same over 2 weeks.

I thought there was a puncture but a tyre fitter couldn't find one. Later found that it was the valve - they sorted it and all good.

Just in case you don't actually have a puncture!

I read lots of different views on repair v's replacement, but took mine to a good local tyre place and they insisted that ONE repair was absolutely fine. They are all done in line with British Standards and so i'm sure lots of clever people have had their say too...

I'd say you are fine

As long as the puncture is not in or near the side of the tyre then a plug repair is absolutely fine!

I've had two puncture repairs on one of the rears, I wondered whether it would effect the handling at high speeds. I'll probably replace them both soon as I had some Michelin PS4's fitted to the front recently.

RedJedi said:
I had a similar issue, but losing less pressure - about the same over 2 weeks.

I thought there was a puncture but a tyre fitter couldn't find one. Later found that it was the valve - they sorted it and all good.

Just in case you don't actually have a puncture!

Just to re-iterate the main point above, and particularly with a slow puncture, it's well worth checking the valve. I've had several over the years on cars and motorbikes which have been due to the valve core coming slightly loose. A quick 'nip up' with the appropriate tool is all that is required.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back