Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Shhhh, the 991 Turbo bargain of the range......

Maxie

With all the focus on the latest GT3, GT2 RS, forthcoming GT3 RS, previous GT3 models and even the latest Carrera GTS, it seems the bargain of the 991 range (at least as far as serious performance cars go) appears to be the non-limelit, non-S 991 Turbo with pre-owned examples starting in the late £70k bracket. I have been observing the above mentioned cars but now I'm thinking that the basic Turbo model doesn't seem to be a bad shout. With water-cooled 911 Turbo prices seemingly being under-pinned by the strong residuals of the 996, I'm wondering if the 991 Turbo might even be a prudent buy.

I'm interested in others' thoughts on this especially our resident 911 Turbo residual price guru, T8.

maxresdefault.jpg

~ Maxie :?:

You lost me when you stated 993 prices are being underpinned by strong 996 prices :dont know: ...... is it not the other way around :hand:

Maxie said:
With all the focus on the latest GT3, GT2 RS, forthcoming GT3 RS, previous GT3 models and even the latest Carrera GTS, it seems the bargain of the 991 range (at least as far as serious performance cars go) appears to be the non-limelit, non-S 991 Turbo with pre-owned examples starting in the late £70k bracket. I have been observing the above mentioned cars but now I'm thinking that the basic Turbo model doesn't seem to be a bad shout. With water-cooled 911 Turbo prices seemingly being under-pinned by the strong residuals of the 996, I'm wondering if the 991 Turbo might even be a prudent buy.

I'm interested in others' thoughts on this especially our resident 911 Turbo residual price guru, T8.

maxresdefault.jpg

~ Maxie :?:

Think the majority are closer to 90k but yes genuine bargains in todays market, looking at the crazy crazy prices of 997 1 and 2, the only way is up. Given the choice id take the 991 everytime.

I agree on this being the performance bargain and had also noticed the non S models were creeping down and are now overlapping the Gen 2 997 I suppose its down to which one do you prefer also will the 991 depreciate more than a 997TT (manual )?

I like the 991 turbo would love a GT3 though
:D

Seriously like the 991 turbo. Always thought I would go 997 next and stay manual.. but these are ridiculously capable cars and the shape has really grown on me.

It is a performance bargain, and a hell of a lot of car for the money.

You are right, it does not have a limelight, and I think this is the reason given it being clearly shone on the S.

At the money they are and where new, people want to buy the best, thats the S I think the lowly turbo is the rarer car now.

Vs 997 wise and prices, well we all know Porsche threw quite a bit of R and D into the 997 after the purists had finished with the 996, so some are coming to terms with the fact, Porsche got that one right, it is a bloody good looking car, being a good mix of modern yet old school 911. There is also 2 to chose from, and both seen to be quite different, a rawer Gen 1 with a famous engine, and a more refined Gen 2 with a very good gearbox.

I like the 991 very much, just don't love it enough to swap, and no manual for the weekends.

I also think, the older the Turbo's get (the newer ones) they become less everyday super car and more weekend toy as they become more affordable for the likes of me. So I don't want a refined S Class ride and creature comforts, I also want to drive it, not it drive me.

So the 991 Turbo, great car, great price, goes well, looks well refined and ready performance bargain, but I still don't want one...

...Yet

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The 991 Turbo certainly seems to be following the trend of the last two generations of 'Turbo' models. i.e Steep depreciation over the first three or four years makes them absolute bargains.

The perceived cost of running a 3-4 year old Turbo seems to put a lot of people off spending c£80k to buy a car when a similar age Carrera can be had for much less. I saw a new 991 Turbo on a ramp at my OPC and the complexity of the rear hubs etc made me wince to think how expensive to maintain one might be compared to the far simpler 996T or 997T.

Whether the above will mean that values continue to fall so steeply ........
:dont know:

Cheers Boba Fett - been reading the thread on your upgrade from Gen I Turbo to Gen II Turbo on the 997 forum. Very clearly written :thumb: . I was a bit surprised when you described the engine being more refined in the later car than the Mezger unit of your Gen I. The quieter interior noise is owing to the increased sound deadening material they put in all Gen II cars to drown out the road noise (which is horrendous in a Gen I).

Thanks T8! I'm wondering if this 991 Turbo has more to go on the downside. I believe a well-specced non-S Turbo might be the way to go as early 991 Turbo S models are still around the £100k mark.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
Cheers Boba Fett - been reading the thread on your upgrade from Gen I Turbo to Gen II Turbo on the 997 forum. Very clearly written :thumb: . I was a bit surprised when you described the engine being more refined in the later car than the Mezger unit of your Gen I. The quieter interior noise is owing to the increased sound deadening material they put in all Gen II cars to drown out the road noise (which is horrendous in a Gen I).

Thanks T8! I'm wondering if this 991 Turbo has more to go on the downside. I believe a well-specced non-S Turbo might be the way to go as early 991 Turbo S models are still around the £100k mark.

~ Maxie

Oh dear :wack: I have been confused with Eastonjets I think, I will not be changing my Mezger manual for a DFI Auto anytime soon :thumb: :thumb:

When I was on my 'hunt' for a new car there was a 991 Turbo in Black at Redline in Knaresborough for about the same price as a used 997 Gen 2 I was looking at, I think it was £85k. It did have high miles on it but I think I commented on another thread how it seemed to be a bargain price for a current model Turbo, especially so at Redline as they are not renown for low prices!

I'm hoping my recent purchase will keep it's value for at least a few years.

T8, like you I saw a 991 Turbo up on a ramp at OPC Silverlink and noted that the back end looked pretty complex but is that down to the rear wheel steering that the Turbo has?

easternjets said:
......and noted that the back end looked pretty complex but is that down to the rear wheel steering that the Turbo has?
Yes, standard on all 991 Turbo models.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back