Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High Mile GT3

crash7 said:
Chaps, help me understand this.

55k for 150k mile car, its not unreasonable to think it will need a rebuild at some point soon, what would this typically cost? £30k

If it is £30k the net effect is a 150k mile car owes you £85k

Would you not be better off spending £80k on a 28k mile car like this..,

http://www.strasse.co.uk/cars.asp?car_id=356&page=1
PORSCHE 997 GT3 **LOW MILEAGE** 2007
£76,995 (For Sale)

Black, Black interior, Comfort pack, Leather bucket seats, Sat nav, Telephone module, ETC **28,130**

What am I in missing?

:yeah:

Well if you want a 997 GT3 Clubsport and you've not got £80k, this one at £58k is your only option ...
But the mileage on the this particular car hasn't been clocked up in the usual manner, the vast majority of it comprised of cross european journies, not stop start city driving. That means less cold starts (when the majority of engine wear occurs) and way more time operating at optimal temperatures.
That's not to suggest there won't be wear in any of the engine, transmission or chassis components, but I'd suggest that compared with an occasionally hard tracked car that's also used for hard weekend hooning and has been subjected to a minimal service regime, there'll quite possibly be less wear on the components of this car. And if Nick's comments on the discs are anything to go by, I suspect that'll all the other components will display similarly low wear characteristics. In short, I don't see a £30k refurb bill looming anytime soon. Ergo, as others have said, it's a cheap car.

As I've rebuilt my engine 3 times now, I can assure you it won't cost anything like £30k, nor is there any reason to think a car that has been driven on road will need a rebuild soon. If & when it does need a refresh, it will only be top end and will cost less than £10k.

If I was in the market for one I'd buy it, use it until something went (assuming it would at some point during ownership), then take it to FernSport for a 3.8 when the time came. Job done, win-win, etc etc :D

NXI20 said:
As I've rebuilt my engine 3 times now, I can assure you it won't cost anything like £30k, nor is there any reason to think a car that has been driven on road will need a rebuild soon. If & when it does need a refresh, it will only be top end and will cost less than £10k.

youve blown 3 engines, i think someone might need some driving lessons :?: :?: :?: :grin:

kingston said:
NXI20 said:

youve blown 3 engines, i think someone might need some driving lessons :?: :?: :?: :grin:

Someone needs to understand the difference between blowing up an engine & maintenance. The former is usually a result of a lack of the latter.

For the record, I've never blown an engine up in 45 years of owning powered transport of all kinds :wack: (I have worn a fair few out though...)

Maybe you can come back when you've done over 50K miles on track in the same GT3 & tell us how many rebuilds (or will it be blow ups?) you've had :floor:

To clarify, I rebuilt the whole engine at 85K miles but could have simply done a top-end refresh. 10K later & a couple of pistons had issues because the piston supplier hadn't gapped the rings correctly. That was a very minor rebuild. 30K miles after that, a different piston had a ring failure & the engine was rebuilt again with a Mahle motorsport piston & liner kit which with the benefit of hindsight is what I should have used on the 85K miles rebuild. In an ideal scenario that would mean only one rebuild. The engine is still on the original crank, cases, jackets, heads & cams. The bottom end shows absolutely no wear but the rods & oil pump have been replaced for safety.

The car is just about to clock 152K miles & is running like clockwork.
:thumb:

Roro said:
If I was in the market for one I'd buy it, use it until something went (assuming it would at some point during ownership), then take it to FernSport for a 3.8 when the time came. Job done, win-win, etc etc :D

+1

Someone needs to understand the difference between blowing up an engine & maintenance. The former is usually a result of a lack of the latter.

For the record, I've never blown an engine up in 45 years of owning powered transport of all kinds :wack: (I have worn a fair few out though...)

Maybe you can come back when you've done over 50K miles on track in the same GT3 & tell us how many rebuilds (or will it be blow ups?) you've had :floor:

To clarify, I rebuilt the whole engine at 85K miles but could have simply done a top-end refresh. 10K later & a couple of pistons had issues because the piston supplier hadn't gapped the rings correctly. That was a very minor rebuild. 30K miles after that, a different piston had a ring failure & the engine was rebuilt again with a Mahle motorsport piston & liner kit which with the benefit of hindsight is what I should have used on the 85K miles rebuild. In an ideal scenario that would mean only one rebuild. The engine is still on the original crank, cases, jackets, heads & cams. The bottom end shows absolutely no wear but the rods & oil pump have been replaced for safety.

The car is just about to clock 152K miles & is running like clockwork.

These things really do sound bullet proof when you consider they are driven "hard" on track.

Excellent info from someone with some serious seat time in a GT3! :thumb:

So has it been sold or not? I cannot see anything on the link showing it as sold.

I have not looked on Pistonheads to see if there has been an autopsy on purchase and sale after such a short period on this GT3 but is anyone in the know. Care to spill the beans?? GT3 are not for everyone though so maybe he just realized they are essentially road going race cars and needs something more compliant for driving in town.

Either way a great opportunity for entry to GT ownership.

Pip

Thanks for that Slippydiff, I have posted on the ownership thread and think he is jumping out before he has to pay out for non warranty (soon to end - Sept) items. The mileage has not really changed so I think it was an impulse buy that he has had second thoughts about. Plus London is not somewhere you are going to rack up miles and get your money's worth on a cheap high mileage motor.

Pip

:agree: If you were the owner caught into adding £10k for engine work, based on NXI's number, you would be into it for 65k, as pointed out on PH your then only £10k off a car with 110k miles less. - With the warranty soon to expire perhaps the risk out weight the reward!

crash7 said:
:agree: If you were the owner caught into adding £10k for engine work, based on NXI's number, you would be into it for 65k, as pointed out on PH your then only £10k off a car with 110k miles less. - With the warranty soon to expire perhaps the risk out weight the reward!

Yes, but after that 10k engine top end you'd then have a very nice engine (arguably fresher than one with 110k less), so you'd still be better off (assuming chassis was fine and had been refreshed as needed)

I think this case was purely a warranty issue - some people just need a warranty whether low or high miles, and as this car was beyond Porsche's policy I think that's what killed it for the guy

Roro said:
crash7 said:

Yes, but after that 10k engine top end you'd then have a very nice engine (arguably fresher than one with 110k less), so you'd still be better off (assuming chassis was fine and had been refreshed as needed)

Would not disagree from a performance perspective but from a residual value perspective you would be in a worse place.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back