Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange behaviour after flat battery?

DJS911

I recently experienced a strange series of problems after leaving my 997 sat for 3 weeks whilst on holiday and wondered if it is normal for these cars?

On going to drive the car on my return I manually opened the drivers door rather than use the remote function and then carried out the oil level check - all was ok.
On trying to start the car it turned over very sluggishly as the battery was clearly nearly flat but at the same time both windows wound down and the headlights flashed each time the key was turned.
A charge of the battery (having disconnected it from the car first) got the car running fine but PASM and Sport mode (the car has sports chrono and PSE) were initially showing as failures.
After a short drive of less than half a mile all was good again and everything was reset.
I'm not particularly concerned as all seems to be ok now but having only owned the car for three months or so I would be interested to hear if this is a normal reaction to a flat battery?
Before anyone suggests it yes, a trickle charger will be purchased soon!
Thanks in anticipation.

DJS911 said:
I recently experienced a strange series of problems after leaving my 997 sat for 3 weeks whilst on holiday and wondered if it is normal for these cars?

On going to drive the car on my return I manually opened the drivers door rather than use the remote function and then carried out the oil level check - all was ok.
On trying to start the car it turned over very sluggishly as the battery was clearly nearly flat but at the same time both windows wound down and the headlights flashed each time the key was turned.
A charge of the battery (having disconnected it from the car first) got the car running fine but PASM and Sport mode (the car has sports chrono and PSE) were initially showing as failures.
After a short drive of less than half a mile all was good again and everything was reset.
I'm not particularly concerned as all seems to be ok now but having only owned the car for three months or so I would be interested to hear if this is a normal reaction to a flat battery?
Before anyone suggests it yes, a trickle charger will be purchased soon!
Thanks in anticipation.

No need to be concerned , these are all normal and usually experienced activities once the battery has been drained beyond its nominal voltage..... Once the car is driven , presuming the battery does still have sufficient charge to get that old flat six turned over , drive it straight away , and the old girl will wake up , charge sufficiently ( providing you don't get the often experienced bad cell , then she shakes off all these strange events and carries on as normal.......

But .... Get a C-Tek charger on there if you are leaving it for any length of time .....once you have to shell out for a new battery you will wish you had pre-emptied the purchase of the C- Tek( and these are by far the best units out there ...😎😎😎😎🤓🤓

Thanks Tel.
Good to know that it's not unusual.
Whilst I can sort of understand the PASM and Sport modes going AWOL I must say I've never had another car that opens the windows and flashes the lights when the battery is nearly dead.
I guess that's one of the idiosyncracy's of owning a P car you have to get used to.

That's a common issue , I have inadvertently had it a few times , the first was my initial learning curve , left the car unlocked for 3 or 4 weeks , came home to a flat battery , thought I could just charge it to recovery voltage but the Porsche batteries are known to be weak efforts. there was a duff cell in that one ........
... so a new one was required......

after due diligence carried out , I settled on the C-Tek ( same as Porsche sell actually ) I purchased a number of C-Tek models and would thoroughly recommend them ......
I had an operator ( me ) failure in making a secure connection of the comfort connectors last year , for the first time , which resulted in a duff battery again , unrecoverable again ( this was one of the MOL batteries which seem to get a bad rep .... so replaced that with a Bosch S5 , so far so good ......

Recently after connecting a charger on my Cayman , I noticed that the charger was behaving a bit strangely with the amber charging light on straight away after initial connection ( normal) , then moving to green after initial period BUT, this time it was a flashing green AND the initial charge amber was on solid ( not flashing ) ....., I believe that this is an unusual effect and although it was charging the battery ok , the voltage was above the normal 'float voltage' so it was charging , I think the charger was ' confused' by the new type AGM battery in the Cayman.... I haven't managed to find a good explanation yet.......

I think ill contact C-Tek technical department ......

anyway , confused or not ......still a great charger .........

911TEL said:
I think the charger was ' confused' by the new type AGM battery in the Cayman.... I haven't managed to find a good explanation yet.......

Do you know which model C-tek charger you used for the AGM battery?

I believe the model for the AGM type battery is/was the MX 5.0. This is the model I have which I had for my E92 M3 which has an AGM battery.

toffeeman said:
911TEL said:
I think the charger was ' confused' by the new type AGM battery in the Cayman.... I haven't managed to find a good explanation yet.......

Do you know which model C-tek charger you used for the AGM battery?

I believe the model for the AGM type battery is/was the MX 5.0. This is the model I have which I had for my E92 M3 which has an AGM battery.

It was indeed the MX 5.0...... I tried them all some of the more basic models didn't even move from Amber charge light to green but the MX 5 did ....

Eventually though I disconnected completely and fully locked the car ... on reawakening her she was fine!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back