Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 41
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

sram
Albert Park

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for previous posts by me with gearbox in the body and you will see that I've had numerous problems with my 'box over the years. (IMO) you need to talk to 'colt' on here. When I got my car back after a rebuild by him I could not contain the grin spread across my face when I was finally able to go from 1st to 2nd without a double declutch and, even then, a cautious approach.
It was like I'd been given a different car to drive.

People bang on about the mounts, but unless they are really knackered you will not see any difference - the engine and box form one solid unit and so I cannot see how changing the mounts will offer any improvement over a crunchy change. Perhaps overall 'feel' will be improved, but I can't see how it would impact a mechanical problem inside the box. I changed mine on numerous recommendations, but there was absolutely zero difference. Deep down I knew there would be no improvement, but I was living in denial and trying to avoid the inevitable. Multi-thousand pound bill denial Surprised Gearbox parts aren't cheap, but saying that you may not need as much work as I did. My diff bearings also exploded, but that was a few months previously and that work was carried out by a garage I will never set foot in again. This was all before finding colt and having him save the day and once again make 993 ownership an enjoyable experience.
boo

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up my box from Unit 11 after a full rebuild so should now be in rude health Thumb

My box was damaged via impact down the drive shafts so needed a replacement bell housing which I supplied to them. I must admit I was hoping for simple casing swap out, however when I dropped the box off my hopes were dashed very quickly as turning the drive shaft flanges revealed the main input shaft was slightly bent......oh dear there's much more damage this box than I'd hoped, input shaft from Porsche are circa £1500 plus dreaded, ffs!!

Anyway I got down the road and received a call a few days later, you know the one, similar to when a builder turns up and breathes through teeth when he see's a job. It turns out my diff is fecked, planetary gears are gone, diff housing gone, diff bearings gone, diff shaft gone. Not due to the impact this time more just down to wear and tear, which I was disappointed in given it's only done 104k miles.

So now of course my bill is now 3-4 times what I was hoping to get away with, argh!!.

A further chat reveals that I'll need new first and second gear as they are damaged also, not looking good at this stage.

In the meantime I managed to source a new Diff housing on the Bay for £40, usually £400 plus from Porsche so took that down to the guys.

They also had some decent news for me as they've managed to source a good second hand input shaft, with 1st and 2nd gear. A major result.

Anyway, long story short, the box is done with everything it needed to get it into the sort of condition I demanded.

In the end the following items were replaced:

New Gearbox casing (sourced separately)
Second hand input shaft (excellent condition)
Second hand 1st gear (excellent condition)
Second hand 2nd gear (excellent condition)
New Diff Housing (sourced separately)
New diff planetary gear set
New Needle rollers and roll pin
New diff shaft
New main diff bearings
New diff bolts
New Syncro on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th
Rings
Cone Rings
Angular bearings
Roller bearing
Pinion bearing
Gasket set
Various, bolts, nuts, sockets, .........

The guys at the Unit 11 were superb to be honest, good communication at all times and straight talk, open and honest. This was tricky job and they dealt with it superbly so massive thanks to them.

That's one major headache out of the way now Smile

Trev

madalaa
Yas Marina

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Trev ........ but glad for you that it is all now sorted ........ phew ...... but I bet it was some hefty bill all the same.

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mate, would have been much worse without the eBay items and second hand parts. That said not as bad as you might think.

There was one point which I thought it couldn't be sorted....

Trev

Tobesetc
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madalaa wrote:
I remember someone saying on here you can spend £10,000 on a 993 quite easily

...... but normally not in one straight hit ....... usually over a few years is about right unless you are particularly unlucky or OCD fussy ...... lol ...... Wink

I wish I'd only spent £10K on mine...

Wink

(Don't really begrudge a penny. All "nice to have" jobs. It'll end up an expensive Outlaw)

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobesetc wrote:
madalaa wrote:
I remember someone saying on here you can spend £10,000 on a 993 quite easily

...... but normally not in one straight hit ....... usually over a few years is about right unless you are particularly unlucky or OCD fussy ...... lol ...... Wink

I wish I'd only spent £10K on mine...

Wink

(Don't really begrudge a penny. All "nice to have" jobs. It'll end up an expensive Outlaw)

Yeh me too, but I think they were talking about just the gearbox

Question

wozy
Imola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sram wrote:

People bang on about the mounts, but unless they are really knackered you will not see any difference - the engine and box form one solid unit and so I cannot see how changing the mounts will offer any improvement over a crunchy change. Perhaps overall 'feel' will be improved, but I can't see how it would impact a mechanical problem inside the box. I changed mine on numerous recommendations, but there was absolutely zero difference.

Sorry but utter tat ........ unless you really do have major issues with your gearbox.
My gear change and clutch pickup was night and day better when I changed the mounts. I really truthfully thought they would make not a jot of difference, but was amazed how better the car drove afterwards. A really great investment imho . Thumb

993 C2. MBM. C4 mounts, RSRs, RS Short shifter. RS steering wheel. FSDs & M033s
Previous 2.7S, 3.2, 964 and 968CS

ChrisT70
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a lot better after I fitted the updated gearbox mount, RS quick shift linkage, goldenrod etc plus the C4 mounts. Shifted like a knife thro butter.

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisT70 wrote:
Mine was a lot better after I fitted the updated gearbox mount, RS quick shift linkage, goldenrod etc plus the C4 mounts. Shifted like a knife thro butter.

Yes good to hear as I have the items above to help things along Thumb

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wozy wrote:
sram wrote:

People bang on about the mounts, but unless they are really knackered you will not see any difference - the engine and box form one solid unit and so I cannot see how changing the mounts will offer any improvement over a crunchy change. Perhaps overall 'feel' will be improved, but I can't see how it would impact a mechanical problem inside the box. I changed mine on numerous recommendations, but there was absolutely zero difference.

Sorry but utter tat ........ unless you really do have major issues with your gearbox.
My gear change and clutch pickup was night and day better when I changed the mounts. I really truthfully thought they would make not a jot of difference, but was amazed how better the car drove afterwards. A really great investment imho . Thumb

Yes all depends where the issue is, a brand new mount set will not help a knackered diff for e.g., conversely a good box will be ruined in terms of gear change without good mounts.

Anyone having gear change issues should start with new box and engine mounts, if that solves the issues then great if not get your box and wallet out

Very Happy

Trev

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: